Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
Born & Raised Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
I'm hoping the league has a look at that block tomorrow.
won't change the outcome of the game. or the fact that he got concussed.

so some player might get a fine....WHOOPTY DOOOOOOO!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:51 PM
I am a meat popsicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt4Life View Post
I've had batty on my iggy for a long time now, I'm done argueing with him.

But Bolted, you don't think the NFL could tell it's reffing crews to help sway games towards one line or the other? The NFL was very fun to watch when the replacements were in there and the Brees, Rodgers, Mannings weren't getting special treatment or perfectl timed penlaties to keep their drives alive.

It's also not against the law for them to sway their games one way or another. Afterall, "We sell fantasy."
You've gone off the deep end. Time to get a breath of fresh air.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:52 PM

see, it's all good to say "read the website and make your own opinion"....as long as your opinion matches mine then it's all gravy!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Rookie

The refs beat us tonight? So THAT's WHAT HAPPENED! The stupid refs didn't make the tackle! Someone get Norv an extension! It's the REF's not the coach or the players!

PLEASE!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
If it was the Patriots or Broncos in our situation against, say, the Browns, who do you think gets the call? The Browns converting or the Pats/Broncos holding them?
That's kind of besides the point.

Chargers are consistently in position where those calls can have too big of an effect.

It's nice to think there's a conspiracy theory behind it all because it takes away the sting of watching the team find yet another way to blow it. We invest so much of our mental energy into wanting them to win, and we don't want to admit that energy is wasted. (not saying you specifically, just speaking generally).

It's unfortunate. Rather than uselessly debate what call another team would have theoretically gotten (something that can never be proven one way or the other), I'd rather imagine a scenario in which the game wasn't decided on that one play.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-25-2012, 07:57 PM
"Stay Classy SD" my butt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXCharger View Post
You've gone off the deep end. Time to get a breath of fresh air.
Quote:
Former Legal Chief Council and current President and Chief Operating Officer of MLB, Robert A. Dupuy, Esq. states: "We sell fantasy. We don’t sell reality. And we have grown men and women in costumes playing for millions of dollars, and more importantly enthralling tens of millions of people. And furthermore, we sell competition. Our teams and our athletes have to be bitter, bitter rivals and competitors on the field of play, but they’ve got to be partners off the field of play. And we need rules. We sell uncertainty of outcome, and so we need rules, both playing rules and frankly, we need economic rules." DeMaurice Smith, current chief of the NFL Players' Union, then adds: "Isn’t the reality that it’s a business when owners want it to be a business and it’s a sport when they want it to be a sport and for a fan it’s—and I agree with you—it’s a fantasy." The two have a similar exchange, as Smith states: "They sell fantasy; we work on the field." Dupuy quickly adds: "And if we didn’t sell fantasy, you wouldn’t work on the field."

I still love the game and get hyped up for Sundays. Just more and more when I watch around the NFL, most the time it looks perfectly set up for a good story. I don't see the players doing things, just the refs subtly. I love when in the past this team overcame crappy, crappy officiating. They aren't good enough anymore to do that, but the crappy efficiating still ticks me off.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 PM
4th and Hooters

Quote:

I still love the game and get hyped up for Sundays. Just more and more when I watch around the NFL, most the time it looks perfectly set up for a good story. I don't see the players doing things, just the refs subtly. I love when in the past this team overcame crappy, crappy officiating. They aren't good enough anymore to do that, but the crappy efficiating still ticks me off.
That's what I'm saying. Even you just said "I don't see the players doing anything, just the refs". In order for the refs to be in a position to make a call that has that much of an impact on the game, soooo many things have to line up perfectly before that. The odds are astronomical.

Now, if you're saying "hey, if you get a chance, and it's ambiguous, go ahead and call it this way", I mean a case could be made. But those situations are so few and far between. They just happen to be occurring with alarming frequently to the Chargers. But the fact is, there's so many things that have to happen just right to get to that point, its infeasible.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
That's kind of besides the point.

Chargers are consistently in position where those calls can have too big of an effect.

It's nice to think there's a conspiracy theory behind it all because it takes away the sting of watching the team find yet another way to blow it. We invest so much of our mental energy into wanting them to win, and we don't want to admit that energy is wasted. (not saying you specifically, just speaking generally).

It's unfortunate. Rather than uselessly debate what call another team would have theoretically gotten (something that can never be proven one way or the other), I'd rather imagine a scenario in which the game wasn't decided on that one play.
This is from the nfls website

At the halfway point of the 2012 NFL season, more than 172 million fans have tuned in to NFL games for good reason…they have been captivated by the fantastic finishes. Nearly one quarter of NFL games (31 of 132) have had the winning score in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or in overtime – the highest rate ever through Week 9 since at least 1970.

http://nflcommunications.com/2012/11...stic-finishes/

It seems a lot of teams are put in these positions. Gets good ratings, lots of water cooler talk etc. Seems obvious to me the games are manipulated to be close games. It only has to be taken one step further to manipulate the outcomes.

Now honestly, i figured the chargers were gold today with the steelers losing and the ravens playing them next week and a charger win adds another team to the wildcard chase, but i guess i was wrong.

Theres just no real plausible way that the refs blew that call after looking at it on replay...how does that even happen?

-Mario Lopez
Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeChargerPower View Post
I was at the game and looked at the scoreboard right after the third down play and it said "4th and 31". I looked again right after the play and it said 4th and 29. I'm not sure why it changed. It would be interesting to see all the footage from that series to see if it all worked out properly.
I thought it said that, but after the game was over while I was talking to a guy on the trolley and he said it was 4th and 29. I thought I was mistaken at the 4th and 31, but if you saw it also, I guess not.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
At the halfway point of the 2012 NFL season, more than 172 million fans have tuned in to NFL games for good reason…they have been captivated by the fantastic finishes. Nearly one quarter of NFL games (31 of 132) have had the winning score in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter or in overtime – the highest rate ever through Week 9 since at least 1970.
so that explains the domination of popularity the NFL has enjoyed over the last...say 10 or so, years. it's so obvious, it's really obvious!!

wow. you guys really got it all fingered out! i love it and will remember to quote you all directly in every parroting attempt i make in the future.

Last edited by batgeek; 11-25-2012 at 08:07 PM..
Closed Thread