Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
Experienced

About two years ago I adopted a 145 pound female Harlequin Great Dane named Luca from a rescue web site. She ended up in rescue because her elderly owner passed away and the daughter who took her in had a cat that apparently tasted to good to pass up.
She is a dream dog, she's friendly, loves dog beach and hates being alone, if you are walking around the house, she's right behind you.
Here is her dog beach link:

http://www.del-mar-guide.com/luca.html
Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Back in The USA

I got two American Staffordshire Terriers. A 19 month old named Crunchy and a 4 month old named Mojo. I got them back in September. Both are males.

Crunchy is a bit of work in terms of hyperness and learning the rules of the house and walking on a leash. His prior owners didn't discipline him in terms of letting him know what he can and cannot do inside and around the house or on walks. He used to pull like crazy the first time I got him, but now he knows how to walk on a loose leash right next to me. He still takes plenty of notice with other dogs, but he is starting to learn to ignore them 75%-80% of the time when we go out on walks. He tends to get confrontational with other dogs when the other dogs are barking at him. for the most part, he will walk alongside me with some slight whining as if to say, "I want to look at them", lol. He would whine and look up at me at the same time, until we have enough distance from the other dogs, then it is all back to a relaxed walk. His color is Brindle with a big white patch on his chest.

Mojo has a very laid back temperament and is very smart. When I first got him at 8 weeks old, he was in his puppy teething stage. With lots of redirection and plenty of a stern "No", he pretty much stopped teething on me and knows he can only teeth on his chew toys at 3 months old. He is soaking up his basic/simple training like a sponge. He understands sit, stay, down, paw/high five, leave it, drop it, and go to bed. He walks great on a leash. He doesn't even take notice of other dogs on walks. He does however have a big curiosity for people on bicycles, lol. He would turn around and walk backwards as he watches the bikes get further away from us, lol. His color is white with a patch of fawn over his right eye, kinda like Pete the Little Rascal Dog, and a patch of fawn on his hind quarters that travel halfway up his tail.

They are such awesome family dogs. They know how to be gentle around my 3 year old daughter and know that they can somewhat ramp it up a bit with me and my 10 year old son. For those that are wondering, yes they are pitbull type dogs.

Thanks for starting this topic, LongTimeOCBolts.

Last edited by SDFanInUK; 11-26-2012 at 10:47 AM..
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
What a good looking dog. Love the boxers I've met. I'm sorely tempted to add another member to the tribe -- tempted by either a boxer or a dobie
Boxers are great dogs! I would recommend them.

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Here's what Dewey looks like as a grown-up. Mid-sized dog - 45 pounds.

Same dog whose puppy picture is my avi.

Man does he (a Wheaten) have personality. Whether it's pulling a fast one on us to sneak away exactly when he thinks you're not looking, or learning how to sneak so quietly when he wants to scout the neighborhood, or the mastering of the innocent look ("I have no idea who got in the trash") -- or just the way that he ALWAYS wants to play.

Every time you come home, even if it was seriously only 15 minutes, he goes crazy with joy.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Last edited by LongTimeOCBolts; 11-26-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbirdsd View Post
About two years ago I adopted a 145 pound female Harlequin Great Dane named Luca from a rescue web site. She ended up in rescue because her elderly owner passed away and the daughter who took her in had a cat that apparently tasted to good to pass up.
She is a dream dog, she's friendly, loves dog beach and hates being alone, if you are walking around the house, she's right behind you.
Here is her dog beach link:

http://www.del-mar-guide.com/luca.html
How's the shedding??

Great Danes are my dream dog.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPJON View Post

We had Great Danes and Cocker Spaniels when I was a kid. They got along great. Danes are a fantastic breed.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Three dogs here.........
Black Lab, Australia Sheppard, and a Cavalier King Charles.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPJON View Post
How's the shedding??

She only sheds the white hairs, it's year round and they are like little velcro spikes but I don't mind. I brush her constantly and she loves taking baths in the shower. I just don't wear black slacks around her because she will come over and lean on you so you have a nice going out present on your leg.

I'm 6'6'' tall and love having a dog I don't have to bend down to pet.

My next dog will be a Blue dane I will raise from a puppy with my 14 year old son, probably before Christmas so Luca's personality can help mold the new puppy.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Time for a bump -- gotta be some good dog stories from over the holidays.

I let my dog wander around the cul de sac while I took down my Christmas lights today. When I was done, and it was time to come in, I said the usual "C'mon Dew".

I see him walk super slow, and super quiet, on my neighbor's driveway to hide behind their Tahoe. Problem is, I can still see his feet under the car. Again, "C'mon Dew, let's go". Nothing. "Dewey, I can see you. Let's go." Nothing. "Dewey, I see your feet -- they're not hidden behind the tire. Let's GO". Nothing. So I have to walk over there, and sure enough, during those 15 steps he managed to silently circle the car so I couldn't see him. I go back the other side, and he's circled back, so I once again can't get him. Third time I had to fake a run to the other side, then double back. Busted, he walked back home with me.

Man, he is funny as heck, and a world-class sneaker. I still don't know how he's learned to trot without his tags jangling and tipping me off.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Has anyone seen that commercial with the female soldier returning home, and her dog that has been waiting for her to come back?

I love that commercial. You can sure tell how much that dog loves her. Anyone know what kind of a dog that is? That thing is HUGE.