Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post

3. I don't have all that much insight into who the good GM candidates are out there. I would personally like to hire someone out of the Packers or Giants organizations. Anyone who has learned under Ted Thompson or Jerry Reese would be ideal because those two guys have a great understanding of how to use the draft and free agency in complimentary fashion. I can't imagine Spanos having an issue or limiting his own list of candidates because they may have been more liberal in free agency in the past (again, if the Spanos family is spending at or near the cap, what do they care where the money goes exactly as long as we're winning?).
I'd add DeCosta from the Ravens as well for the same reasons you stated. Ozzie seems to know what he is doing.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
I'd add DeCosta from the Ravens as well for the same reasons you stated. Ozzie seems to know what he is doing.
First off, thanks, Kemp, for taking the time to answer so thoroughly...I appreciate it very much.

Secondly, WM, I agree with you about DeCosta, but for some reason I think I heard he was waiting for the GM job on another team, but I can't remember which one right now. Either way, someone like him, or as Kemp suggests, someone from the Giants or Packers would be a coup for us, IMO.

One more source I'd use if possible, if I were Spanos, is to try and get a conversation with Ron Wolf and ask him for his advice on the selection and who he might recommend. I know he hasn't been a GM for a few years now, but the guy knows the game.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:02 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
No worries, I still hope Whisenhunt gets fired and we get him.
Why have I never thought of this??

Can he bring Fitz over too?

I am down for some Wizardry.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM
RyanMathews

If Wisenhunt comes over can he bring Russ Grimm and Horton with him as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Hall of Famer

With the way things are going, I'm looking more to the offseason then next week. My urgency for OL help has really risen! I think we have one more guarenteed year for Gaither? I would give him another chance, pretty much 'cause we're stuck. But definitely need a decent backup. I really like the idea of King Dunlap, while not stellar definitely a better option than Harris should Gaither disappear again (we should have no problem getting him since Andy Reid would have some pull--fingers crossed). Spend what it takes to land Levitre. Roll with a rookie at RT.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 AM
boltup

I don't understand.. do we not need a wide reciever, how many guys we going to sign to replace v.j. 5 to 6 don't make a number one wideout. isn't Mike wallace becoming a free agent next year? or wes welker? i think welker in the slot and vincent brown and floyd, will be a tremendous trio if we can't get someone like wallace... maybe new coach new g.m..... new tackle and guard, wideout, and c.b's and get an outside linebacker in the draft. but if we don't pick up a proven wideout then we are doomed for another...... no one with a chargers uniform is open but everyone on defense is open so here you go from phillip rivers next year.... and he might have some competition from jarett lee.... right now i'm desperate lol, but jarett looks promising for the future
Old 11-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Hall of Famer

We need a wide receiver, but I think you have to put that need behind some others. We've "band-aided" the problem by extending Floyd and bringing in Alexander. We'll also be getting Brown back. It's my opinion that we need to address our offensive line and pass rusher before we deal with WR. So basically I am looking at receivers in round 1 of 2014.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Next man up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
With the way things are going, I'm looking more to the offseason then next week. My urgency for OL help has really risen! I think we have one more guarenteed year for Gaither? I would give him another chance, pretty much 'cause we're stuck. But definitely need a decent backup. I really like the idea of King Dunlap, while not stellar definitely a better option than Harris should Gaither disappear again (we should have no problem getting him since Andy Reid would have some pull--fingers crossed). Spend what it takes to land Levitre. Roll with a rookie at RT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909 Charger View Post
With the way things are going, I'm looking more to the offseason then next week. My urgency for OL help has really risen! I think we have one more guarenteed year for Gaither? I would give him another chance, pretty much 'cause we're stuck. .

I am pretty sure that next year’s money is guaranteed for Jarred Gaither... He gets a chance because we are stuck. Cutting him would only raise the cap hit if I understand correctly how signing bonuses work.
Gaither gets a shot... I would like to see a 1st rounder spent on a LT... but of course you can only draft who is on the board and there might not be a good one there... And I know nothing about college football so I couldn't give any names... so if there is/isn't any franchise LTs coming out of school this year I'd be interested to read up on it. Between
1. Gaither: Competition, and knowing he will need to play to get the rest of his money in the following season.
2. Harris: Who would have a full season under his belt. And it is said that the biggest improvement happens between a players 1st and 2nd season. Clearly this coaching staff (which needs to be replaced at least in part) sees something in him... and he is on a UDFA contract so there isn't any major risk in keeping him.
3. A draft pick
4. UDFA's

I would add free agents… but lookin at the tackle section… and what people think I am not sure anyone would beat out Gaither. Teams that have quality LTs tend to want to keep them.
Hopefully with all those guys... we can find a good starter and quality backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltup View Post
I don't understand.. do we not need a wide receiver, how many guys we going to sign to replace v.j. 5 to 6 don't make a number one wideout. isn't Mike wallace becoming a free agent next year? or wes welker? i think welker in the slot and vincent brown and floyd, will be a tremendous trio if we can't get someone like wallace... maybe new coach new g.m..... new tackle and guard, wideout, and c.b's and get an outside linebacker in the draft. but if we don't pick up a proven wideout then we are doomed for another...... no one with a chargers uniform is open but everyone on defense is open so here you go from phillip rivers next year.... and he might have some competition from jarett lee.... right now i'm desperate lol, but jarett looks promising for the future

We need a WR... but not 1/4th as much as we need an OL. Jackson is good at the deep route jump ball... but with Rivers being hurried and hit more often then he isn't or so it seems... he wouldn't fix much of anything.
Between Meachem, Royal, the return of Brown, Alexander, Floyd, and whomever else we bring in... I think we can get a good enough group of WRs. Add Gates, Green to the passing game... we should be ok if and only if we can find a way to keep Rivers upright and find out what he still has.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah Gaither is guaranteed next year. So we ought to roll with him. He's only costing us about 4.5M next year, which is beans for a good left tackle. When he's healthy, his play is quite a bit above that pay grade.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Hall of Famer

this thread is a big waste of time

According to the cmb, only SD lets quality free agents walk away so how is it possible for our team to upgrade via free agency?