Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Mathews Over-rated?
Yes. He's a bust. 49 27.84%
No. He's about average. 68 38.64%
Maybe. He needs an injury free year. 41 23.30%
Less bacon, more milk. 18 10.23%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Mathews is going to be a beast! He just needs the support of our management. If he fumbles give him the ball again, let him become the back we need him to be. I believe he will fix his fumbling issues, but needs the ball and time to do that.
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmjim View Post
The same AP that holds the all time single game rushing record? Why would RM even be mentioned in the same sentence as him?
Because AP has had major fumbling issues his first few years as a pro. He fixed it and became a great running back. Ryan Mathews has all the talent and tools to be just as good.
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

Yes, he is my bird!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChargerFan View Post
Because AP has had major fumbling issues his first few years as a pro. He fixed it and became a great running back. Ryan Mathews has all the talent and tools to be just as good.
One is a beast who fumbles and the other is Ryan Mathews. Fumbling is the only thing they have in common.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I think Mathews is good, but he's nowhere near the physical specimen AP is. AP is a great RB, Mathews is good but I think his ceiling is significantly lower.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crime Time View Post
I think Mathews is good, but he's nowhere near the physical specimen AP is. AP is a great RB, Mathews is good but I think his ceiling is significantly lower.
We will never know with Norv in charge and AJ throwing him under the bus. I am sure if he went to another team he will become great. It seems the Chargers way to get rid of our Star Players. As far as AJ is concerned our players can go be someone else's stars!

Yes, he is my bird!
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Lmao, you make it sound as if LT played 30 years ago. LT was the best player in the NFL just five years ago, the game hasn't changed that much in 5-6 years.
Who is this LT guy you speak of? Lawrence Taylor? He played in the 80's I believe, around the time of Babe Ruth.

But in all honesty, LT was an all-time great. Had he been born 10 years later, if there was significant improvements in training and preparation then he would have benefited from them too.

It's not a slight on RM to say he's no LT.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
We will never know with Norv in charge and AJ throwing him under the bus. I am sure if he went to another team he will become great. It seems the Chargers way to get rid of our Star Players. As far as AJ is concerned our players can go be someone else's stars!
I will give you that- we haven't really been able to find out. Hopefully that changes next year.

I do like RM and really want to see him get more work.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestfan View Post
^^^agreed. Nobody could run well behind that abomination of an oline
I tend to agree but don't think the OL talent level is as bad as the coaching. Nobody's that bad.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Mathews is going to be a beast! He just needs the support of our management. If he fumbles give him the ball again, let him become the back we need him to be. I believe he will fix his fumbling issues, but needs the ball and time to do that.
Mathews is 25 now and will turn 26 next season. Since he hasn't even had a marginal season yet, when do you expect him to break out?
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Yes indeed

Mathews is more than likely not really close to AP's level. Few RBs in the league are. I still think AP is the best in the league, and the best since LT easily. You can tell that AP is a special talent because of how fast, elusive, and strong he is with exceptional vision. RM is good but he doesn't have the same elusiveness, speed, strength, or vision as AP. That's not so much of a slight on RM as it is a compliment to AP. Coaching and an o-line isn't likely going to turn RM into someone with the unique skillset that AP has. I think RM might be more in the tier of how Reggie Bush is now.

The Right Side of the Rivalry