Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes indeed

In the past I'd be agreeing with this thread easily. But after having witnessed this team the last few years, it makes you wonder what good it would be to make the playoffs and go against the kinds of teams seeded above ours?

If they back into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC is so terrible and they go on a weak "run" against the weaker part of the schedule, has the team shown that they have any chance at beating any of the teams seeded above them? I know anything can happen but I don't think it's a good sign to have to rely on that mentality practically every single week.

And consider the risk of giving Spanos a reason to retain Norv/AJ. Making the playoffs is NOT enough of a reason to justify keeping personnel like this (especially upon remembering the season we had prior to firing our previous coach). I'd rather not have to sit through every offseason with a "this could be our year" attitude, to "they have problems but they'll probably get fixed along the way" in the early season to "why hasn't Norv and AJ been fired???" for the rest of the season, every year.

In other words, I'd like for the team to move on and succeed. The myopic perspective would be that the playoffs now with a terrible team is good. But what's best for the team more than likely isn't keeping AJ/Norv, and so sometimes immediate "success" of that kind isn't in the team's best interests.

The Right Side of the Rivalry

Last edited by abernardojr; 11-26-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardojr View Post
In the past I'd be agreeing with this thread easily. But after having witnessed this team the last few years, it makes you wonder what good it would be to make the playoffs and go against the kinds of teams seeded above ours?

If they back into the playoffs because the rest of the AFC is so terrible and they go on a weak "run" against the weaker part of the schedule, has the team shown that they have any chance at beating any of the teams seeded above them? I know anything can happen but I don't think it's a good sign to have to rely on that mentality practically every single week.

And consider the risk of giving Spanos a reason to retain Norv/AJ. Making the playoffs is NOT enough of a reason to justify keeping personnel like this (especially upon remembering the season we had prior to firing our previous coach). I'd rather not have to sit through every offseason with a "this could be our year" attitude, to "they have problems but they'll probably get fixed along the way" in the early season to "why hasn't Norv and AJ been fired???" for the rest of the season, every year.
considering they were a 4th and 29 away from beating the team with the 2nd best record and held a 24-0 lead on the team with the 3rd best record in the AFC i would say they have shown they can compete. Whether they can win is another story, but like you said, anythings possible. AFC is weak this year, and maybe we can run into an NFC team on an off day and win the superbowl.

i dont know...maybe?

-Mario Lopez
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM
All-Pro

oh crap! i have hope again. shoot it sucks to be a charger fan! Heres to winning out
Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernardojr View Post

Exactly. It's just too much BS to stay in mediocrity every year.

Even though plenty of mediocre teams have become contenders by simply having a bad season, getting a high draft pick leading to a draft full of impact players.

Chargers aren't a 4-7 bad team, but they aren't a contender either.

But truth be told, I don't see them winning with Rivers at the helm. I have no crystal ball, but I find it very hard to trust him in a game like NYG vs SF in last season's NFCCG where one mistake would cost a trip to the Super Bowl. Even though both team's o-lines were decent both defenses' pass rush were in the each QB's face all night and with increased intensity in the 4th. That pressure was unreal,and in the rain.

Last edited by physicsgeek; 11-26-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
considering they were a 4th and 29 away from beating the team with the 2nd best record and held a 24-0 lead on the team with the 3rd best record in the AFC i would say they have shown they can compete. Whether they can win is another story, but like you said, anythings possible. AFC is weak this year, and maybe we can run into an NFC team on an off day and win the superbowl.

i dont know...maybe?
It's possible lol since the team's not mathematically eliminated but I'm really more concerned with the replacements at HC, GM, etc. than what they might do in the playoffs (PLAYOFFS?!).

And if you look at the 4th and 29 and the 24-0 things, I think the negative aspects speak volumes more than the positives. It's good that you're winning 24-0 or 29 yards from beating the Ravens, but what does that tell you when you lose both those games, going 0-35 in the second half of one game and giving up (around) 29 yards on a 4th and 29 with the game on the line? To me that says more about how dysfunctional this team is than how good it is unfortunately.

On the plus side, the team might be somewhat close to being decent (lol) in that they were there in those games at some point, but it seems like any optimism is snatched away when you remember how the game turned out. The games aren't simply 2 quarters long, or 58 minutes long for a reason.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM
Hall of Famer

maybe if this was John Butler/A.J.'s team I would say cool, yeah maybe...

However fact...These players are A.J.'s from top to bottom now, been that way for a few seasons now, I think maybe Jammer is the only Butler guy left... & they are no better than 8-8 with A.J.'s players

I don't know sometimes I wonder how good this team could have been with DB at QB, MT at RB, with Sproles... Meaning A.J. maybe could have used the Rivers pick on a certain WR on the Cardinals with the first name Larry...

Sort of makes you wonder, don't it?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by physicsgeek View Post
Exactly. It's just too much BS to stay in mediocrity every year.

Plenty of mediocre teams have become contenders by simply having a bad season, getting a high draft pick leading to a draft full of impact players.

Chargers aren't a 4-7 bad team, but they aren't a contender either.

And truth be told, I don't see them winning with Rivers at the helm. I have no crystal ball, but I find it very hard to trust him in a game like NYG vs SF in last season's NFCCG where one mistake would cost a trip to the Super Bowl. Even though both team's o-lines were decent both defenses' pass rush were in the each QB's face all night and with increased intensity in the 4th. That pressure was unreal,and in the rain.
Agreed as well.

Sad that Rivers looked like a HOF QB a few years ago (some might contest that but I think he could have been if he kept playing that well and won a ring or two), and now he looks like one of the worst starters in the league, and possibly worse than some backups (like Kaepernick, but that's getting too far ahead). I think that we give him another year or two with the new HC, see if he steps up like Smith did when Harbaugh was hired, and if he doesn't then it's definitely time to move on. Fortunately that time is pretty close to when Johnny Football and Mariota might enter the draft lol

Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricgold View Post
maybe if this was John Butler/A.J.'s team I would say cool, yeah maybe...

However fact...These players are A.J.'s from top to bottom now, been that way for a few seasons now, I think maybe Jammer is the only Butler guy left... & they are no better than 8-8 with A.J.'s players

I don't know sometimes I wonder how good this team could have been with DB at QB, MT at RB, with Sproles... Meaning A.J. maybe could have used the Rivers pick on a certain WR on the Cardinals with the first name Larry...

Sort of makes you wonder, don't it?

You can say that with any team. Everyone has passed by players they should have picked. Every team passed by Tom Brady 5 times in the draft.

Drew Brees was a huge gamble to keep and if his career did end on that shoulder injury, then AJ would have looked like a fool for keeping him.

Turner was expensive as hell to keep. We had a healthy LT and Sproles at the moment. Why keep him? We couldn't match the Falcons offer for him.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post

i dont know...maybe?
sheesh, this is gonna be easier than I thought. Chargers have been playing possum
Old 11-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
sheesh, this is gonna be easier than I thought. Chargers have been playing possum
its possible, no? maybe not.

-Mario Lopez