Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
Sorry, had a bit of amnesia right there lol.

Meant to tie that in with OL blocking above the knees, and having OL have that same so called "strike zone" to block defenders in.
Got it. Yeah, this is just conjecture but I could see a different arrangement happening. Seems that most cut blocks that result in defensive players' knee/ankle injuries occur at the second level, so I could see it remaining in play at the line, but not something linemen can do on the move. Because cut blocks happen almost every play at the line off the snap and defenders rarely get hurt, probably because they are prepared for it.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Got it. Yeah, this is just conjecture but I could see a different arrangement happening. Seems that most cut blocks that result in defensive players' knee/ankle injuries occur at the second level, so I could see it remaining in play at the line, but not something linemen can do on the move. Because cut blocks happen almost every play at the line off the snap and defenders rarely get hurt, probably because they are prepared for it.
Only problem I see with that is officiating it, and if it makes the officials' jobs more difficult, then the NFL is going to look for an alternative solution.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Only problem I see with that is officiating it, and if it makes the officials' jobs more difficult, then the NFL is going to look for an alternative solution.
I think it would be a lot easier to officiate than all these defenseless receiver, helmet to helmet, hitting QB's low, etc. penalties. Some of those can be darn near impossible to get right, but the NFL has the officials throw flags for them anyways.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
I'm sorry, but football is turning ****ing stupid. At some point it's just not worth watching. Football is MEANT to be a brutal sport.

I'm 2 more poorly implemented rules changes away from just not caring anymore.

Which at the current pace is probably by ~2015
I hope you don't think the cut block rule change would be an awful rule..... because it is a tremendously good rule.

sean of BSX
Old 11-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Support our troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
I hope you don't think the cut block rule change would be an awful rule..... because it is a tremendously good rule.
You just don't get it. If people aren't getting crippled both physically and mentally then why bother?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Before this turns into an ugly fight, let's just agree that it would be in the NFL's best interest to maintain the physicality of the game as much as possible while eliminating some things that can cause serious, long lasting injury (head and knee shots being the most common).

While I would not enjoy watching two hand touch football, I also hate seeing guys get seriously hurt. I also don't really enjoy watching illegal big hits now, knowing that some of these guys I love to watch will probably suffer for the rest of their lives due to some of them or due simply to the sum of all of them. Balance is needed.

That's why I think the NFL can and should find a compromise on cut blocks. There are certain situations where they typically do the most damage that they could be eliminated from without completely taking them out of the game.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I think it would be a lot easier to officiate than all these defenseless receiver, helmet to helmet, hitting QB's low, etc. penalties. Some of those can be darn near impossible to get right, but the NFL has the officials throw flags for them anyways.
Fair enough. I have a much bigger problem with DPI, OPI calls than I do on some of these hits. Players really need to learn how to tackle, far too many lunge with their shoulder pads as a battery ram. I've seen Ed Reed and Ray Lewis make some of the hardest hits I have seen and both tackle with their head up.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:14 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Fair enough. I have a much bigger problem with DPI, OPI calls than I do on some of these hits. Players really need to learn how to tackle, far too many lunge with their shoulder pads as a battery ram. I've seen Ed Reed and Ray Lewis make some of the hardest hits I have seen and both tackle with their head up.
Yep. Seems like Pagano got that through to everyone but Bigby
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Yep. Seems like Pagano got that through to everyone but Bigby
lol mate
Old 11-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
You just don't get it. If people aren't getting crippled both physically and mentally then why bother?
No, you don't get it.

I have a real problem with officials throwing flags for fingers grazing helmets, people slapping lightly on the hand of a receiver going up for a pass and being flagged for PI, making a great tackle only to have the official flag for PF.

If the officials actually threw flags for illegal hits, ACTUAL pass interference rather than almost every godamn play, and serious offenses, I would be totally fine with that. But the kinds of **** I see them throwing flags for half the time is asinine and infuriating.

As a former player, I hate officials with a passion. They ruin games and rob players of their effort.

Honestly, there is nothing more enraging as a player who gives 110%, every down, busts their ass every down, only to have an official make a stupid call and not only nullify that effort, but potentially cause your team to lose a game.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 11-27-2012 at 06:47 PM..