Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Jedi

Default Why did Butler go out of the game?

I was trying to listen to the game on the radio, but kept getting pulled away. One thing that stuck out was all the injuries, in particular Donald Butler, my favorite player on the team. Butler is one of the few bright spots left on this team.

Any word on his injuries? Wedle too!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:28 PM

He hurt his groin and will probably be out this week as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:29 PM
#1 NJ Bolts Fan

bulter had a groin injury, questionable to play this week. ERic weddle got a concussion, he should play this week. I know I will get heat for this but the season is all but done, we should rest these players.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

From chargers.com

The Chargers have been relatively fortunate this season when it comes to injuries.

That luck came to a screeching halt on Sunday.

The Chargers were decimated by injuries over the course of the loss to the Baltimore Ravens, particularly on defense. Players who predominately play on special teams were forced to play significant minutes while others had to move out of position. As a result, the Chargers had a mish-mash of players on defense for the overtime session that saw the Ravens come out on top.

“We’ve lost a lot of guys throughout on offense and on defense, and we have guys that just keep coming in,” said head coach Norv Turner.

“Obviously, it affects you in certain situations. I thought it had an effect on our defense on third down. When you start losing those guys, it has certainly affected our ability on offense on third down – the combination of protection and then finding a way to get people open.”

On defense, the Chargers lost Eric Weddle, Donald Butler, Atari Bigby and Darrell Stuckey by the time overtime started. As a result, cornerback Marcus Gilchrist was forced to play safety, Shareece Wright moved to the nickel slot and special teams standout Andrew Gachkar saw the first snaps of his career at linebacker.

“That’s our job to be ready and come in when needed,” said Gachkar.
“Obviously we don’t get the amount of reps during practice and we’re not as seasoned as they are. But when you have the chance to be called upon, you have to go do your job.”

Still, it was a difficult task with many of the top playmakers on defense sidelined. All three of their leading tacklers, Butler (72), Bigby (68) and Weddle (64), were off the field and were replaced by players who are only in their second year in the league.

“The guys were put in a tough situation in the game and did a good job for us,” said Quentin Jammer. “Hopefully we can get some other guys back and not have guys in positions they’re not accustomed in…They did as good a job as they could have, but it’s not the same without (the starters) out there.”

The Chargers announced the following injuries: Antwan Barnes (hamstring), Darrel Stuckey (hamstring), Atari Bigby (groin), Donald Butler (groin), Eric Weddle (concussion), Corey Liuget (tibia), Antonio Garay (thigh), Jeromey Clary (thigh)a and Danario Alexander (thigh)
Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoltsFan18 View Post
bulter had a groin injury, questionable to play this week. ERic weddle got a concussion, he should play this week. I know I will get heat for this but the season is all but done, we should rest these players.
This isn't heat, it's a legit question, injured players done play. Rest them for what? If you mean because they're injured, that goes without saying. I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Resting a player and letting a player recover from an injury are two different things.

A Bree's jeresy never looked so good.

"Luck, is when, preparation meets opportunity" John Wooden

R.I.P.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Any chance we play Mouton over Gackhar? Or he at least gets some snaps? (idk how much difference there is between the two ILB positions and if they're interchangeable, since Mouton is Spikes' backup)
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I am Cap'n Obvious

The season is pretty much over anyways, best to let everyone recuperate fully and beast it up next season.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM
Mon. Morning Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB1SD View Post
This isn't heat, it's a legit question, injured players done play. Rest them for what? If you mean because they're injured, that goes without saying. I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Resting a player and letting a player recover from an injury are two different things.
I think he may be referring to keeping the mileage down and risk of injury in a meaningless game ala Brees
Old 11-27-2012, 05:34 PM
Mon. Morning Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimr1428 View Post
Any chance we play Mouton over Gackhar? Or he at least gets some snaps? (idk how much difference there is between the two ILB positions and if they're interchangeable, since Mouton is Spikes' backup)
I'd really like to see what we have in Mouton, further evidence in the should AJ follow Norv out the door trial. It is hard to judge picks though as it seems almost no ones improved in Norvs tenure here, save a few defensive guys who may just be damn fine players.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Moderator of Delusions

So by Tibia does that mean Liuget broke it?

Cast em up and let em play.