Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
From what I'm hearing the Cardinals are likely to cut ties with Brown, thus very well could draft an OT. Anyone who needs and takes a QB in the top 5 this year will be significantly over drafting them. There's also the problem in Kansas City with the expiration of their OLTs contract and they are said to be interested in Joeckel also...and perhaps even if they do sign Albert, there's also talk of moving him to G...again.

If you see him as one of two blue chippers I'm sure plenty of NFL teams do as well. If a team needs a QB, this is not the year for one high in this draft, thus they can either go BPA, or look to another need and see what's there at QB in the 2nd, when such a selection isn't quite the gamble as far as talent is concerned.
Recent draft history says that QB needy teams will be drafting them in the top 12 regardless of their overall value as prospects. Tannehill, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder... they were none of them good enough for where they got drafted. The Chiefs, Cardinals, and Eagles could easily be the Titans, Jaguars, and Vikings from a couple seasons ago- taking 2nd round prospects in the top 12 because they feel like they have to.

1. B. Roby, CB, Ohio State
2. D. Adams, WR, Fr. State
3. D. Jones, DL, Penn State
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
6. J. Brown, WR, Pitt. State
7. R. Groy, G, Wisconsin

Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dha View Post
anyone with eyes, one eye or ears would know sacks are up everywhere around the league. QBs are getting sacked 4-5 times a game and that's the norm. There are plenty of games where a QB get sacked 7-10 times plus hit a dozen more times. That stuff is happening every week. But the other QBs do recover in time and rally their team from behind to victory, something Philip Rivers hasnt done in a long long time.
Statistically, Rivers has been in the top 3 all season in terms of quarterback disruption (that's sacks, hits, and pressure). He's even been as high as #1 at times. And the pressure he deals with arrives as fast or faster than anywhere else in the league. 5 of the 6 sacks the Ravens accrued happened in 2.5 seconds or less. So no, what Rivers is dealing with is not the norm. It's not close to the norm. And we won't have any idea what he's got left in the tank until we put a halfway decent offensive line in front of him.

7. R. Groy, G, Wisconsin

Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Recent draft history says that QB needy teams will be drafting them in the top 12 regardless of their overall value as prospects. Tannehill, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder... they were none of them good enough for where they got drafted. The Chiefs, Cardinals, and Eagles could easily be the Titans, Jaguars, and Vikings from a couple seasons ago- taking 2nd round prospects in the top 12 because they feel like they have to.
True, they may also feel that they can drop down a couple slots and get their guy though.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
True, they may also feel that they can drop down a couple slots and get their guy though.
Yes, but who is going to pay to trade up with a team when they know that FO is almost definitely going to take a quarterback?

7. R. Groy, G, Wisconsin

Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Yes, but who is going to pay to trade up with a team when they know that FO is almost definitely going to take a quarterback?
Could be a team looking for a LT or pass rusher and knows that a team like the Chargers might take one so they want to leap frog us

I'm a Charger fan, I've learned to just prepare for the worst case scenario every time.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Could be a team looking for a LT or pass rusher and knows that a team like the Chargers might take one so they want to leap frog us

I'm a Charger fan, I've learned to just prepare for the worst case scenario every time.
Hey, you can it with this anti-Joeckel rhetoric!

I'm already good and ticked off at you. I was all set to take a hard line on our next head coach: "No re-treads and no college coaches!!!"

Then you come along with your Shaw Bandwagon... all shiny and logical. Totally screwed me up.

7. R. Groy, G, Wisconsin

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Hey, you can it with this anti-Joeckel rhetoric!

I'm already good and ticked off at you. I was all set to take a hard line on our next head coach: "No re-treads and no college coaches!!!"

Then you come along with your Shaw Bandwagon... all shiny and logical. Totally screwed me up.
I'd love to get Joeckel, kid seems like a mauler. I just have this sick feeling that Norv will end up going 7-9 or something and blow it for us!

Sorry about Shaw
Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
I'd love to get Joeckel, kid seems like a mauler. I just have this sick feeling that Norv will end up going 7-9 or something and blow it for us!

Sorry about Shaw
The Chargers drafting Joeckel is akin to the existence of fairies: It's conditional on faith. In the same way that fairies die when children say they don't believe in them, some other team will select the TAMU tackle ahead of us if enough Charger fans fail to believe that we'll land him.

I know from the movie Hook that with fairy death can be averted with clapping. I'm not sure if the same applies with Joeckel, but I am trying in the interest of covering all my bases. My hands are somewhat raw and my coworkers are annoyed, but I remain dedicated.

So BELIEVE darnit!

7. R. Groy, G, Wisconsin

Old 11-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The Chargers drafting Joeckel is akin to the existence of fairies: It's conditional on faith. In the same way that fairies die when children say they don't believe in them, some other team will select the TAMU tackle ahead of us if enough Charger fans fail to believe that we'll land him.

I know from the movie Hook that with fairy death can be averted with clapping. I'm not sure if the same applies with Joeckel, but I am trying in the interest of covering all my bases. My hands are somewhat raw and my coworkers are annoyed, but I remain dedicated.

So BELIEVE darnit!
In that case I believe!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
From what I'm hearing the Cardinals are likely to cut ties with Brown, thus very well could draft an OT. Anyone who needs and takes a QB in the top 5 this year will be significantly over drafting them.
What you aren't considering is that perceived value doesn't mean they shouldn't take a QB high. QB is the most important position in football. If you think you have your guy, you pick him, top 10 or not. If you wait, you risk another team taking your guy and then you screwed yourself for at least another year.

Ryan Tannehil is a great example. Dolphins took so much heat for that pick. Look whose laughing now.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson