Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Colossal Ruvall

Default Wishlist by position

Here's an interesting take on the draft talk. I want to hear your personal wishlists position by position. I want you to be biased and unfazed by all criticism and just let the names come out and add to the discussion. I'll even list players at positions we're probably set at too.

Please take note of my obvious Utah biases.

QB - Brad Sorensen So. Utah. 6' 4" 230 lbs. He may play in FCS and out of a small college but he is very calm in the pocket and would benefit from being a bigger body in the NFL. The upside is he'll be overlooked for several rounds and would be a cheaper alternative than a Whitehurst or Volek who realy don't have a future starting or even playing here.

RB - John White IV Utah. Late round or free agent pick up. Change of pace back similar to Sproles but not as shifty. I'd give him a chance to make the team especially as I don't see Ronnie Brown coming back and I know we'll probably never be able to fully trust Mathews as THE guy.

WR - Cody Hoffman BYU. Here's a perfect fit for this offense and Rivers. He's 6' 4" and was just named the National WR of the Week by CFPA. The only problem is he's a JR but with no set QB next year, he may declare this year. 90 catches on the year and 11 TDs. Watch him in the Poinsettia Bowl vs. SDSU next month at the Q.

TE - It doesn't feel like a good year for tight ends. It's definitely a looming need with Gates seemingly winding down. Ladarius Green needs playing time and there really isn't a TE I'd lean towards this year.

OL - Luke Joeckel Texas AM. Seems to be the consensus best lineman in the draft and I'm definitely ready to move on from the experiment gone wrong in Mike Harris. I'm not a huge lineman guy so I'll roll with the crowd on this one and assume we'll be picking up more beef than usual.

DL - Star Lotulelei Utah. The best D-lineman in the draft and will be gone by the time we sniff a pick. I'm not enamored with anyone plugging up the middle at the moment, although Garay is very serviceable in situationals.

DE - Ezekiel Ansah BYU. Ansah has a high motor and I would love to see him on the team. I'm extremely high on him. He was originally given a track scholarship but has proven to be a natural talent at the end positions. He could definitely be a hybrid rusher, either on the line or as a situational

ILB - Manti Te'o Notre Dame. Not much to be said here. The Junior Seau comparisons are hot and heavy but why shy away from that kind of praise? I would honestly trade up for the guy. He would lock down the middle of the field for years. Outside of him, I'd look at BYU's trio of linebackers in Uona Kaveinga, Brandon Ogletree and Kyle Van Noy. BYU has really had a top 5 defense this year and it's really a testament to it's players. They've only given up an average of 14 ppg so you know there's some talent on that side of the ball.

CB - Leon McFadden SDSU. I'll take the hometown kid and hope he turns out. He has the talent to from what I've seen. I'd love to see him and Cody Hoffman go at it in Poisettia bowl though.

S - Still searching for that Strong Safety. Bigby has been a decent stopgap this year so I don't see this as too pressing seeing as we have Brandon Taylor waiting in the wings.

K - We need one of these. I'd put Jeff Budzien out of Northwestern, but kickers don't come out early and he's only a Jr. But you know what we really need in a kicker? Someone who is used to big games week in and week out and has a history of converting them. Caleb Sturgis out of Florida would be my top pick here. An SEC guy who is in big games all year long.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Days Last2 View Post
DE - Ezekiel Ansah BYU. Ansah has a high motor and I would love to see him on the team. I'm extremely high on him. He was originally given a track scholarship but has proven to be a natural talent at the end positions. He could definitely be a hybrid rusher, either on the line or as a situational

Players that raw should not be making as many plays as he has. I did some more research on him, and found he was highly bright (has a minor in math, majoring in actuarial sciences which requires a ton of math). That's probably one of the reasons why he's develops at such a rapid rate.

There's plays like the one in this video where he goes to rush the quarterback, pulls back because he recognizes it's a screen, does a full spin at 6'6 270 lbs., takes the right angle, and bursts right after the RB. Just downright impressive, and I haven't even talked about his explosive power.

Watch at 0:14 and 4:45:

Last edited by physicsgeek; 11-28-2012 at 11:37 AM..
Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, Jordan Reed, Dion Simms are all good TE prospects. Guys like Ryan Griffin and Jake Stoneburner are also interesting.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Tyler Eifert, Zach Ertz, Jordan Reed, Dion Simms are all good TE prospects. Guys like Ryan Griffin and Jake Stoneburner are also interesting.
Michael Johnson may be the best TE in this draft. Very much like Martellus Bennett. Great blocker, big body and really good hands for such a big guy.

Ansah is a SMART dude. He's one of those guys who you just know is going to beat the odds and get better, he's got it all, tools, smarts and work ethic.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Support our troops

I laughed when Kiper had us taking Tyler Eifert in his first mock.

Not that we couldn't use a TE (gates is done), just I think it's pretty clear it's a bit down the list.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Michael Johnson may be the best TE in this draft. Very much like Martellus Bennett. Great blocker, big body and really good hands for such a big guy.

Ansah is a SMART dude. He's one of those guys who you just know is going to beat the odds and get better, he's got it all, tools, smarts and work ethic.
Who is Michael Johnson? You mean Michael Williams?

Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Who is Michael Johnson? You mean Michael Williams?
There we go, i couldn't remember his last name, and Johnson sounded right...lol, i was doing HW at the same time, and was too lazy/busy to look it up.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
I laughed when Kiper had us taking Tyler Eifert in his first mock.

Not that we couldn't use a TE (gates is done), just I think it's pretty clear it's a bit down the list.
Can he play Tackle?

^ This year's "Move him to safety."
Old 11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Eifert looks beast every time I've watched ND. Someone's getting a good one.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
There we go, i couldn't remember his last name, and Johnson sounded right...lol, i was doing HW at the same time, and was too lazy/busy to look it up.
Johnson, Williams, Jones, Smith... all the same.

But yeah he's probably the best blocking TE in the class. Best overall? Nah, I'm not buying that. But some team should get a good deal if they don't reach like the Broncos did with Dick Quinn.