Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 01:47 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
for me the biggest reason is what I said in another thread:

If the team stumbles again and Dean decides to pull the cord on AJ then the new GM will likely want a new coach and we start over...again. See: the Panthers.
Yeah...this is true
Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
PICK UP THE TAMU BOOKENDS!

That'd be great.
I was thinking that. Sorta has the Luck/Fleener combo thing going for it
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
PICK UP THE TAMU BOOKENDS!

That'd be great.
That would be a Christmas miracle that would make us all happy
Old 11-28-2012, 02:10 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

At the rate the team seems to be dissing Gaither, doesn't look like they're depending on him either. Bring on the bookends:

Tom Krasovic ‏@UTkrasovic On press release issued by #Chargers it is said that Gaither went on I-R "as he was painstakingly slow in recovering from a groin injury."
Old 11-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

What about Jake Matthews? He plays opposite Joeckel
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Read the thread boss

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Hall of Famer

my bad I missed that page. I would love Jake Matthews. If he is anything like his dad he will be worth it
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Following up on my Troutman in season wish...

San Diego Chargers ‏@chargers 21-day practice window expired. MT @ChargersRHenne: Troutman and Dombrowski will remain on IR/Non Football Injury for rest of year.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I'm sorry man, that's just not true. PFF's statistics figure in pressures and hits, not just sacks. And Rivers is amongst the most "disrupted" quarterbacks in the league. Also the pressure arrives in about 2.43 seconds, and Philip gets the ball out in 2.73 seconds on average (which is not slow, especially in our offense). His two starting tackles rank 1st and 15th in the list of the league's worst pass protectors, giving him the 2nd worse combo and the absolute worst on his blindside.

Rivers is no more or less mobile than he's ever been here, and yet when the offensive line was better, he was better. I'm in no way guaranteeing that he will automatically return to pro-bowl form if we improve the line, but it's darn well worth the shot. If there's even a chance that he can still be the guy he was for three seasons, you just have to try. And, in my opinion, there's a much better statistical chance that we can get Rivers back playing well than there is that we can draft someone who will be anywhere near as good.

If you just take a broad view of his career to date, what has changed since the 2008-2010 seasons? He hasn't hit an age where QB's regress. He hasn't gotten injured. He hasn't had a change in scheme or coach. The only thing that has changed is personnel. He went from McNeill, Dielman, Jackson, Sproles to now Harris, Green/Hadnot, Floyd, Brown... even last year McNeill and Deilman were oft-injured.

He's not blameless. And many of his mistakes have come when he doesn't have a defender hanging all over him. But it's pretty commonly known around the league that persistent pressure can mess with QB's to the point that they perceive it even when it isn't there. But I want to be clear that I'm not being myopic about this- he has to play better. But franchise quarterbacks are the rarest and most important facets of good teams in this league. So if there is a chance that he can still be one, you try to make it work.

And what are we out of if we invest in the team around him and see how he responds? Worst case scenario, he doesn't. In that case, we will almost certainly have another high pick to find our next QB, and that rookie will have a better supporting cast when he gets here. This is a terrible draft to get a quarterback anyways. Some teams will draft one because they don't have another option that even merits a try on their roster. But we do.
Post of the season right here.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I'm sorry man, that's just not true. PFF's statistics figure in pressures and hits, not just sacks. And Rivers is amongst the most "disrupted" quarterbacks in the league. Also the pressure arrives in about 2.43 seconds, and Philip gets the ball out in 2.73 seconds on average (which is not slow, especially in our offense). His two starting tackles rank 1st and 15th in the list of the league's worst pass protectors, giving him the 2nd worse combo and the absolute worst on his blindside.

Rivers is no more or less mobile than he's ever been here, and yet when the offensive line was better, he was better. I'm in no way guaranteeing that he will automatically return to pro-bowl form if we improve the line, but it's darn well worth the shot. If there's even a chance that he can still be the guy he was for three seasons, you just have to try. And, in my opinion, there's a much better statistical chance that we can get Rivers back playing well than there is that we can draft someone who will be anywhere near as good.

If you just take a broad view of his career to date, what has changed since the 2008-2010 seasons? He hasn't hit an age where QB's regress. He hasn't gotten injured. He hasn't had a change in scheme or coach. The only thing that has changed is personnel. He went from McNeill, Dielman, Jackson, Sproles to now Harris, Green/Hadnot, Floyd, Brown... even last year McNeill and Deilman were oft-injured.

He's not blameless. And many of his mistakes have come when he doesn't have a defender hanging all over him. But it's pretty commonly known around the league that persistent pressure can mess with QB's to the point that they perceive it even when it isn't there. But I want to be clear that I'm not being myopic about this- he has to play better. But franchise quarterbacks are the rarest and most important facets of good teams in this league. So if there is a chance that he can still be one, you try to make it work.

And what are we out of if we invest in the team around him and see how he responds? Worst case scenario, he doesn't. In that case, we will almost certainly have another high pick to find our next QB, and that rookie will have a better supporting cast when he gets here. This is a terrible draft to get a quarterback anyways. Some teams will draft one because they don't have another option that even merits a try on their roster. But we do.
While PFF is not that reliable in regards to their stats (everyone grades differently, they don't account for zones, etc), I think it is clear as day Rivers is getting battered.

sean of BSX