Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
All-Pro

We would hopefully trade down and pick up another second round pick as well as a pick in the 10-15 range. Remember, St. Louis traded from pick 6 to pick 14 and got a second round pick, so we can ge a similar deal in this scenario. But i highly doubt Koeckel is taken unless the cardinals also dont win another game or the skins/rams have a worse record than us. We have a lot of needs and need to acquire more picks to fill those needs, starting at O-line.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
These are good points. But I do wonder what the "knocks" were on Polamalu and Clay Mathews. There must have been some, since they went 16th and 26th.

Some times guys are just good -- (I believe in the "it" factor). Do you think he could translate to NFL in spite of limitations, like those two did?
Every prospect has knocks.

Of course he could translate to the NFL. I just happen to think he would translate better to a different scheme than what we run and that there are some better players in this class.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM
< Need new refs anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Every prospect has knocks.

Of course he could translate to the NFL. I just happen to think he would translate better to a different scheme than what we run and that there are some better players in this class.
My bad, I didn't communicate my question properly.

I didn't mean just translate into the NFL -- I think everyone agrees he has a high potential of doing that. What I meant was is there a similar chance that he could be a game-changer in the NFL that everyone wished they hadn't passed on, thinking the players above him were better (a-la Mathews, Polamalu).

Your response seems to cover this, anyways, if I'm reading it correctly: you don't think he would be a game-changer in our system, regardless.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM
< Need new refs anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
I don't agree. Te'o has a high floor, I don't see the high ceiling you want in a #1 pick. Safe picks get you Aaron Curry (cut), Rolando McClain (cut). He's way smarter than them, but I don't see the potential to go anywhere near that high. If he was a Willis athlete? Not #1, but top 10 for sure. I just don't see it.
good description using the floor/ceiling language.

I don't get the "if he was a Willis athlete" reference, though.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 11-28-2012, 09:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
My bad, I didn't communicate my question properly.

I didn't mean just translate into the NFL -- I think everyone agrees he has a high potential of doing that. What I meant was is there a similar chance that he could be a game-changer in the NFL that everyone wished they hadn't passed on, thinking the players above him were better (a-la Mathews, Polamalu).

Your response seems to cover this, anyways, if I'm reading it correctly: you don't think he would be a game-changer in our system, regardless.
Let me clarify. I don't have any good way of knowing if he would be that type of player on our team because I haven't been able to see him do a lot of the things he would be asked to do here on a consistent basis. He very well could be a game-changer here and elsewhere. But there are a few other players in this class that I feel are better bets to be high-impact guys on our team and I am confident that at least one of them will be on the board when we pick.

Also, JH was referring to Patrick Willis.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
good description using the floor/ceiling language.

I don't get the "if he was a Willis athlete" reference, though.
Patrick Willis is what I meant. Look at the ILBs/MLBs going high. McClain was a pretty decent athlete (still the Raiders), Kuechley was really really good (like him more than Te'o), Willis (outstanding player, very athletic), Derrick Johnson (great athlete). Most times, the guys who are going high are the ones that stand out athletically. I remember people slobbering over Maualuga. Not to compare Te'o to him, but Maualuga wasn't a great athlete, dropped.

sean of BSX
Old 11-29-2012, 01:51 AM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Patrick Willis is what I meant. Look at the ILBs/MLBs going high. McClain was a pretty decent athlete (still the Raiders), Kuechley was really really good (like him more than Te'o), Willis (outstanding player, very athletic), Derrick Johnson (great athlete). Most times, the guys who are going high are the ones that stand out athletically. I remember people slobbering over Maualuga. Not to compare Te'o to him, but Maualuga wasn't a great athlete, dropped.
Yeah. I was beating the drum for him after watching him mash at USC. Think he would have done better here than Larry has (but, that's on injuries, not potential). Doesn't seem like he's been game changer status in Cinci.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Go Charrrrrrrgers!

Te'o will be a Charger - then Landry will be picked - then an OT

2 trades will happen - one of which will be a surprise ...

but not a far fetched one..

this team needs a shot in the arm fast, and Manti is just the first one
Old 11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Hall of Famer

I have a question for everyone. And it's an honest question; I'm not trying to make a statement.

Imagine for a moment that Manti Te'o got no attention from the media. Let's say that the only way you would know his name is if you happened to look into draft eligible linebackers for 2013 (like pretty much every other linebacker in this class). In this scenario his play is exactly the same, as are his numbers (52 solo tackles, 51 assists, 5.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 7 INTs).

So if you were researching the draft, you came across Te'o, watched him play, looked at his stats- but never heard anything about him from the media- would you yourself think you were looking at a top 10 player? I'm not sure that I would.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Area 51 Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I have a question for everyone. And it's an honest question; I'm not trying to make a statement.

Imagine for a moment that Manti Te'o got no attention from the media. Let's say that the only way you would know his name is if you happened to look into draft eligible linebackers for 2013 (like pretty much every other linebacker in this class). In this scenario his play is exactly the same, as are his numbers (52 solo tackles, 51 assists, 5.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, 7 INTs).

So if you were researching the draft, you came across Te'o, watched him play, looked at his stats- but never heard anything about him from the media- would you yourself think you were looking at a top 10 player? I'm not sure that I would.

If I combine my anticipation for him to turn pro these past few years with his current stats he'd be a late 1st rounder to late 2nd rounder to me.

However if I add the media hype and most importantly expert's thoughts on him as a prospect then I'd bump him up to mid 1st round. Thats likely not going to happen since I think teams value him that much. I'd go no higher than (8-12) which is roughly where the Chargers may pick. Probably not the ideal pick for us there but I wouldn't be mad.