Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
For all the fun things the new Spiderman did, it really hurt me that the grand conclusion ultimately came down to a countdown release of the serum. And for such a genius scientist, he sure fell privy to undeveloped emotions with the depth of a kiddie pool. Oh gosh, humans are pathetic! Let me now release this serum to convert them into ADVANCED LIZARDS, because you know, I spent my life trying to develop mutagenic regeneration to benefit humankind.

I wonder why writers can't relate to humans in the most fundamental ways. They seem to only really focus on plot advances and how characters can sustain such progresses. It'd be nice if the villain could be a reasonable fellow who isn't strictly evil for the sake of being evil.
I mean, that's kind of the thing with most antagonists? They can't relate, they're outsiders. There's something off about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Spiderman sucks and has always sucked. His story is cliche and uninteresting and most of his villains are lame.

That felt good.
Aren't all hero stories cliche? They can't not be. It's a genre.

Photographers: Visit the Off Topic Photography Thread!
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=99625
Old 11-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Bolted @ Birth

The History Channel aired the Hatfields & McCoys again last week. It's an awesome movie that I highly recommend.

Last edited by crixus; 11-29-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Crash Test Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by crixus View Post
The History Channel aired the Hatfields & McCoys again last week. It's an awesome movie that I highly recommend.
I saw that on the first go-round. I endorse it, too.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 11-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Punt & Gather

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
I mean, that's kind of the thing with most antagonists? They can't relate, they're outsiders. There's something off about them.
That's a different scenario. This antagonist here was actually a decent guy, and his descent into villainy was brought on by a number of factors that showcased rather facile emotions, due to the disconnect between feel and do. What I mean is that, we're not shown why he becomes nutty, but rather told. Or if anything, we're not shown enough on an intrinsic level.

Take for instance the Joker in TDK. He's clearly insane and it feeds into his enigmatic character. He tells his tales to incite fear that give us some background into what could have shaped his character, and even then he's lying and telling different tales of how he procured the facial scars. We're not directly learning why he is that way, thus retaining the important mysterious nature of the villain while implying the things that might've warped him.

Anyway, background on the villain changes the landscape. If we're to know who he is and what kind of guy prior to his descent, it better be well executed. When it revolves around him obsessed with his lack of arm and the demanding corp putting its interests before his personal ones, so much that he becomes ENRAGED and uses the mutation TO CHANGE HUMANITY just 'cause stronger is good, well, he's a very silly lizard scientist.

So I guess it really isn't about a lack of show, but more just it being a stupid setup. If you can't develop a villain with some ingenuity, just let him be arcane.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
Aren't all hero stories cliche? They can't not be. It's a genre.
There are ways to do it that don't suck. Nolan's Batmans are a great example.

Spiderman has been just a bland hero (for me anyways) all the way back to his comics.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Rented Lawless last night. Wasn't all that great.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:48 PM
All-Pro

Finally saw Skyfall, great movie, Judi Dench is great in Mīs swang song, Q is back and is accordingly with the 21st century as is the new Moneypenny, but I am old, although I figured out Eveīs place in the franchise it was somewhat late, as for Ralph Fiennes, at first i thought him as the mole, but as the movie progressed with his last name, the way he defended M both as a politician and physicly, and with some of his backstory revealed, and the decision to help M and Bond, him looking aged and the reciding hairline, he looked like Bernard Lee and he is now M, down right to the Bernard Lee office, and he plays M like he is suposed to, a maste spy who knows how to deal with the politicians and burocracy; too bad they did not get Sean Connery to play McKade it would have been full circle; the reeboot is complete.

Come 007 thereīs much work to be done.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

tbab;dr
Old 11-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Crash Test Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
Rented Lawless last night. Wasn't all that great.
I disagree on this one.

I loved this movie -- not because it had some super cool plot, but because it was gritty, and most importantly, I thought the acting was phenomenal.

Man, Tom Hardy is FINALLY an actor who is believable as a tough guy.

Chargersfan).

Old 11-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Crash Test Man

That reminded me -- if you didn't see Warrior, you should.

Another Tom Hardy movie -- I've seen it twice, and caught the second half for a third time last week when it was on HBO.

Funny, cause I had never even heard of it when it came out. Sort of thought when I saw the title later that it must be just another dumb action movie. But far from that, it was really good.

Chargersfan).