Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlBolts View Post
Even if they can all survive the season I'm all for drafting another WR. Maybe in the 3rd or later. Floyd, Royal and Meachem only have a one-two years left on their contracts? Alexander would need to be extended....Goodman is a special teams guy only. So that leaves us with V. Brown as our only younger guy with time left on his contract.
I don't really remember logistics, but didn't Floyd sign an extension and Meachem and Royal sign new contracts? I don't care about Goodman, he should be released actually.

I would draft a WR. But I think OT, C, OG, S, CB and RB are higher priorities. Especially since Alexander is the other tall WR Rivers likes to throw to. Mathews needs some legit competition. Cason and Gilchrist should not come back. Jammer may move to safety because Bigby has horrible tackling form and can't cover that well. The O line speaks for itself.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:27 AM
Veteran

I thought Gilchrist played decent last time (last couple of games even? I can't really remember). Hopefully he is starting to get his game together and I can't see why we would release him. It's not like we have a ton of quality DB's waiting in the wings.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
I would really hate to see Royal and Meacham dumped. It seems that Rivers mostly has success with throwing to slow, plodding, big receivers who can fight for his jump ball passes. His Mr. Rogers in the neighborhood type throws. Not really accurate passes, but close enough so that the receivers can bail him out and make him look better than he really is. So much for being able to stretch the field and opening up the offense by actually being able to complete passes to fast receivers so that they can catch the ball in stride from an accurate quarterback.

Instead of propping up Rivers by trying to build the perfect offensive line to compensate for Rivers immobility, and bringing in big receivers to compensate for his inability to throw accurate passes, I would think it would be easier to replace one position, QB, rather than trying to prop up a QB that is getting up there in years and whose abilities have declined so rapidly by trying to rebuild other areas of the team. By the time the other areas of the team are rebuilt to compensate for Rivers' lack of athleticism, chances are the Chargers are going to be looking for a new QB anyway.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1 View Post
Great post, this is an eye opening for those homer's who are in la la land of phillip rivers.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDC-SBV-1D View Post
Ya, aj should totally go to the "proven to be franchise quarterback store" and pick up a few to compete, he should get at least three because injuries happen. Oh and throw away that 100 million dollar contract of rivers cuz "its not our money" right? ...talk about la la land.
I have to agree with you, some people just pull stuff out of their arse and post it.

A Bree's jeresy never looked so good.

"Luck, is when, preparation meets opportunity" John Wooden

R.I.P.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:19 AM
USAF Veteran

Default oh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
He would likely have been a top 3 round pick had he not been so injury prone. I believe he had 5 knee surgeries while at Missouri and has had a 6th since entering the NFL. He's a fantastic talent, but he's almost certainly going to get hurt again. Probably this season even. Enjoy him while it lasts.
I hope we don't over pay him: after the big payday he may go all Gaither on us.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Pay the man, AJ!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Pay the man, AJ!!!
He'll get a one year RFA tender after this season from SD.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Wwjrd?

Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
He'll get a one year RFA tender after this season from SD.
Agreed. I was trying to trick Freak into thinking this was another VJ thread.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife9878 View Post
That would be great if he pulled that off... but as much of a great surprise as he has been here... he isn't the focus of defenses like Jackson.

Injuries mean he is a huge gamble though. So he needs a "when healthy" type contract.
Yeah, I get you can't really just extrapolate stats realistically. But...he has been our best WR for awhile now, and he is as much focus as any other receiver on this team right now.

I'm not saying he is a Pro Bowler whatever, but it just ends up really ironic that after the controversy about letting our big WR VJ go, and signing a couple of guys for not insignificant money to replace him, we end up with a castoff that has fulfilled the 'big WR' role for us.

We've seen enough that I think we can say he's a quality NFL WR, and we should keep him.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
I don't really remember logistics, but didn't Floyd sign an extension and Meachem and Royal sign new contracts? I don't care about Goodman, he should be released actually.

I would draft a WR. But I think OT, C, OG, S, CB and RB are higher priorities. Especially since Alexander is the other tall WR Rivers likes to throw to. Mathews needs some legit competition. Cason and Gilchrist should not come back. Jammer may move to safety because Bigby has horrible tackling form and can't cover that well. The O line speaks for itself.
Floyd got another 2 years on his contract but he's old now.

Meachem signed a 4 year contract.

Eddie Royal signed a 3 year contract.

I thought they were all one year shorter....so they still have time on their contracts. I still can see us drafting a guy in the 3rd or later though. There definitely is higher priorities any help on the O-line is the obvious one.

Also get rid of Gilchrist? Dude plays hard and its only is 2nd year, he still has a lot of room to grow. He doesn't seem to be a head case either. He stays put.