Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Power of 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I'm not a stat guy, and I certainly don't have pacstud's OL credentials for grading. I just go by what I see. OT's have been very bad. Hardwick is worse .... regardless of perception or what some goofy OL stats say.

I'm not sold on Molk at all. In preseason, he looked like depth material. Maybe I'll feel different about him next year. Dunno ....
First of all, you know you have to blindly agree with my posts. Tackles first. Swear to it, or you will be punished.

I am not sure the answer that you are getting at. We need tackles, you believe a center. We drafted Molk, but you don't like him either. Do you want to draft another one ? FA one ?

Molk hasn't even had a shred of a chance yet cuz they've been using Hardwick.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
I agree thats why I said maybe try Molk at guard because it would be hard for Rivers to change centers this late in the season even if there is nothing to play for I still dont want to see him get killed anymore than he already is
There's a chance that Hardwick hangs it up after this year. He was considering retirement already before this debacle of a season. If that's the case, I think you bring in a veteran (Dan Koppen or someone like that) and let that guy and Molk compete for the job. Then we'll see what we have in Molk and if he's not as good as we hope then we draft a center in 2014.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
There's a chance that Hardwick hangs it up after this year. He was considering retirement already before this debacle of a season. If that's the case, I think you bring in a veteran (Dan Koppen or someone like that) and let that guy and Molk compete for the job. Then we'll see what we have in Molk and if he's not as good as we hope then we draft a center in 2014.
Here's the problem with Hardwick. We just signed him to a new contract. If he retires, that's fine and dandy. However, if we cut him after this year, then we'll have to accelerate his bonus monies that are due the next two years, which are $1,750,000. for the next two years, for a total of $3.5 million in dead money. Likewise, Clary's dead monies that would result from his signing bonus being accelerated is $3.4 million. I could go on, but there's about $7 million right there for two guys on the OL alone.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Here's the problem with Hardwick. We just signed him to a new contract. If he retires, that's fine and dandy. However, if we cut him after this year, then we'll have to accelerate his bonus monies that are due the next two years, which are $1,750,000. for the next two years, for a total of $3.5 million in dead money. Likewise, Clary's dead monies that would result from his signing bonus being accelerated is $3.4 million. I could go on, but there's about $7 million right there for two guys on the OL alone.
I dont think we would cut Hardwick anyway. Clary we might consider it but we wont because of AJ's dumb contracts
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM
Hall of Famer

we need to draft a tackle in the 1st and a corner in the 2nd
Old 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDchargersONLY View Post
we need to draft a tackle in the 1st and a corner in the 2nd
I would agree with that. At about week 7 when I decided we werent going anywhere I started looking into the draft and my first thought was a CB in the first. Clearly our two worst positions are OT and CB
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
I would agree with that. At about week 7 when I decided we werent going anywhere I started looking into the draft and my first thought was a CB in the first. Clearly our two worst positions are OT and CB
I'll take a pass rushing OLB in the 2nd...even in the 1st if we end up out of the running for one of the top OTs. I've said it before...and others have as well...we start generating a pass rush like the Giants, whose DBs aren't even as good as ours, and our DBs are going to look way, way better. After QB, a top pass rusher is the most important player on a team...just ahead of OLT.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
First of all, you know you have to blindly agree with my posts. Tackles first. Swear to it, or you will be punished.

I am not sure the answer that you are getting at. We need tackles, you believe a center. We drafted Molk, but you don't like him either. Do you want to draft another one ? FA one ?

Molk hasn't even had a shred of a chance yet cuz they've been using Hardwick.
I think we need center and OT.

I think people see more of the bad that the OT's have done, but seeing the poor play at center is less obvious.

Like I said, Molk didn't do anything in preseason that got me excited about him in the future. He looks like depth. Maybe next year he looks more promising. Dunno.

Regardless, I would like a C/G drafted between rounds 2-4. An OT in either round 1 or 2. Re-sign Vasquez as a starter, re-sign Green as a swing OL to a cheap vet contract (if he gets offered more elsewhere, so be it). Maybe the next regime gets Gaither's head straight. If not, cut him during camp.

Sound is my enemy .... Closed Captioning is my friend.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Yeah we definitely shouldn't cut Hardwick. Clary, it would depend on how much we would save versus the cap hit. He could stick around as a backup I suppose. But in my opinion, based upon my own eyeball test, Hardwick is far from the biggest problem. He's definitely on the decline, but he's still decent enough that- when combined with the value of his calls at the line and getting protections right- he's worth the money.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

I also want a pass rusher in the second, because I'd like to address corner mainly in free agency. Rookie corners nearly always struggle, so a 2nd round pick would almost certainly not be an upgrade, and there will be a strong group on the market.