Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM
WootMonkey's Avatar
WootMonkey WootMonkey is offline
Support our troops
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Park
Posts: 11,355
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
It's simple to cherry pick plays. He had bad plays when he was playing well overall too. Should I point out the plays where he completed passes downfield despite being under duress?

We won't know what we have left in Rivers until we get him some kind of supporting cast, but my bet is that he's still a franchise QB.
I agree, unless he is mentally done there is no QB in the draft or floating around as a potential FA I'd want over Rivers.

Assuming he has a new OL.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
SDFaiderHater's Avatar
SDFaiderHater SDFaiderHater is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 6,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
It's simple to cherry pick plays. He had bad plays when he was playing well overall too. Should I point out the plays where he completed passes downfield despite being under duress?

We won't know what we have left in Rivers until we get him some kind of supporting cast, but my bet is that he's still a franchise QB.
I agree, but he needs help, soon. I think another year of getting beat up and he is done.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Game3524's Avatar
Game3524 Game3524 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 2,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
It's simple to cherry pick plays. He had bad plays when he was playing well overall too. Should I point out the plays where he completed passes downfield despite being under duress?

We won't know what we have left in Rivers until we get him some kind of supporting cast, but my bet is that he's still a franchise QB.
Yeah, there have been some plays this year that Rivers has made that very few QB's in this league could make.

He has had his fair share of mistakes, but he isn't the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Posts: 16,387
Default

And if we have the same OL, I don't really care who we have at QB... we're not going to get into the playoffs.
__________________

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Posts: 16,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFaiderHater View Post
I agree, but he needs help, soon. I think another year of getting beat up and he is done.
Yeah I would also guess that one more year of this would be about it for him. That's part of the reason I want Shaw or McCoy. Shaw's offense would take a lot of pressure off Rivers and McCoy has shown he can mold a scheme around what he has to work with. I think either one would give us a chance of saving Rivers' career.
__________________

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-03-2012, 01:55 PM
SDFaiderHater's Avatar
SDFaiderHater SDFaiderHater is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: La Mesa
Posts: 6,433
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Yeah I would also guess that one more year of this would be about it for him. That's part of the reason I want Shaw or McCoy. Shaw's offense would take a lot of pressure off Rivers and McCoy has shown he can mold a scheme around what he has to work with. I think either one would give us a chance of saving Rivers' career.
Shaw is definitely my number 1 hope for a Coach, he has shown this year that it wasn't just Luck. of both the actual and Andrew variety.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM
MrNAFTA's Avatar
MrNAFTA MrNAFTA is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 3,463
Default

We have had Oline players out of their best positions for so long it's hard to evaluate them. Dombo is better suited to play guard, but we've seen him playing tackle. Harris played RT in college, was thought to be pushed into to guard in the nfl, and has been playing LT. So with Harris we need to see him more at RT/G. No one has seen Troutman, we drafted him to play guard, but if he was health he'd probably be playing OT for us with all the injuries we have.

We need some true NFL caliber OT's, and teams aren't letting go of healthy ones. We could do worst than going out and spending 3-4 picks on Oline players and hoping a couple pan out as starters.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 PM
flwelshman's Avatar
flwelshman flwelshman is offline
Paradise is on the left.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Beach Gardens
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
We have had Oline players out of their best positions for so long it's hard to evaluate them. Dombo is better suited to play guard, but we've seen him playing tackle. Harris played RT in college, was thought to be pushed into to guard in the nfl, and has been playing LT. So with Harris we need to see him more at RT/G. No one has seen Troutman, we drafted him to play guard, but if he was health he'd probably be playing OT for us with all the injuries we have.

We need some true NFL caliber OT's, and teams aren't letting go of healthy ones. We could do worst than going out and spending 3-4 picks on Oline players and hoping a couple pan out as starters.
I don't know if he even warrants a roster spot. I haven't seen the progression in skills from him I would have expected. Playing different positions might have something to do with that, but I still am not sold on him being adequate anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 PM
MrNAFTA's Avatar
MrNAFTA MrNAFTA is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: san diego
Posts: 3,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I don't know if he even warrants a roster spot. I haven't seen the progression in skills from him I would have expected. Playing different positions might have something to do with that, but I still am not sold on him being adequate anywhere.
I am not saying anyone on the offensive line deserves job security after this season. I was just saying how we have been so thin at certain positions we have been starting players at positions they are inexperienced at, or unnatural for their skill set. Even Clary would have been a guard on any other team, and might have been a lot better at guard than RT, we might never know.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-03-2012, 08:34 PM
flwelshman's Avatar
flwelshman flwelshman is offline
Paradise is on the left.
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palm Beach Gardens
Posts: 4,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNAFTA View Post
I am not saying anyone on the offensive line deserves job security after this season. I was just saying how we have been so thin at certain positions we have been starting players at positions they are inexperienced at, or unnatural for their skill set. Even Clary would have been a guard on any other team, and might have been a lot better at guard than RT, we might never know.
I totally agree. I do think Harris has promise, but he's more than a year away yet and it's unfortunate he was placed in such a situation. Then again, were it not for the injuries we may not have seen him for the potential he does have. Next year with an off season of work and OTAs will tell a lot about him, but you're right, we need some stability and some talent. The career ending injuries to McNeil and Dielman were sudden, and by both happening at the same time really crippled this offense. Had they not occurred in the same year, we probably would have a much better situation on the OL.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:39 PM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.