Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Veteran

No, absolutely not. Put a O-line in front of him and he'll be fine.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
All-Pro

I think whether he knows it or not, Rivers needs a new start, meaning new coach. You can see it with Rivers yelling at Norv, Rivers doesn't believe we can win with Norv. I can't say I have ever seen another QB yell at his coach and not get benched for it. I dont think this is the yr to dump Rivers just yet. I like the QB class in 2-3 yrs. I think its gotta be new coach and better Oline.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Please see here: http://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140

I took the time to analyze, factoring in the worst O-lines in the league.

And . . . Rivers comes out on the short, short, short end of the stick.
Where's the post? The link directs one to the general forums, not a post.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
Please see here: http://forums.chargers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=140

I took the time to analyze, factoring in the worst O-lines in the league.

And . . . Rivers comes out on the short, short, short end of the stick.
The only argument you could have is Aaron Rogers and the Packers, because they are the only team to allow as much pressure on the quarterback as the Chargers. Simply enough, Aaron Rogers is a beast, and he has a familiar outstanding receiving core. Philip Rivers, on the other hand, is lucky if he sees the same 2 receivers play half of the season. You could also try to make a point for the 49ers, but they compensate for their busted pass protection with the number 1 ranked run blocking in the league (and now one of the most mobile quarterbacks to back that up).

For my argument, I have the Jets, the Eagles, the Jaguars, the Cardinals, the Panthers, the Redskins (I can keep going). Keep in mind that every one of the teams that I listed (with the exception of the Cardinals), has a better ranked OL than we do- so, your analysis indicates that all of those teams (or any of them, for that matter) are better off at the quarterback position than we are...?

GO CHARGERS
Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochargers17 View Post
The only argument you could have is Aaron Rogers and the Packers, because they are the only team to allow as much pressure on the quarterback as the Chargers. Simply enough, Aaron Rogers is a beast, and he has a familiar outstanding receiving core. Philip Rivers, on the other hand, is lucky if he sees the same 2 receivers play half of the season. You could also try to make a point for the 49ers, but they compensate for their busted pass protection with the number 1 ranked run blocking in the league (and now one of the most mobile quarterbacks to back that up).

For my argument, I have the Jets, the Eagles, the Jaguars, the Cardinals, the Panthers, the Redskins (I can keep going). Keep in mind that every one of the teams that I listed (with the exception of the Cardinals), has a better ranked OL than we do- so, your analysis indicates that all of those teams (or any of them, for that matter) are better off at the quarterback position than we are...?

GO CHARGERS
Rodgers isn't even a good comparison because they run a completely different offense from the Chargers this year.

Their WR' routes are much shorter and the ball comes out much quicker Rodgers is on pace to have the lowest YPA since 2008. Their offense has become more of a traditional WCO then it usually is due to Jenning's being injured and the protection.

The Chargers are completely different, we run a pure vertical passing game, which requires more dropbacks and protection. It is really an apples and oranges comparison.

To put it more simply, the Packer's flexible personnel allowed them to adjust, while the Chargers did not.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Rodgers isn't even a good comparison because they run a completely different offense from the Chargers this year.

Their WR' routes are much shorter and the ball comes out much quicker Rodgers is on pace to have the lowest YPA since 2008. Their offense has become more of a traditional WCO then it usually is due to Jenning's being injured and the protection.

The Chargers are completely different, we run a pure vertical passing game, which requires more dropbacks and protection. It is really an apples and oranges comparison.

To put it more simply, the Packer's flexible personnel allowed them to adjust, while the Chargers did not.
Funny you talk about that, I actually think with Rivers quick release we should be running more of a WCO, maybe our new coach will go to that.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Hall of Famer

your stats tell it all, I am a Rivers fan and will always be, he gave us some great years. but I would like to see a new Charger QB. River leads the league in interceptions for the second straight year, can't win championships turning over the ball, the oline doesn't tell him to throw a pick, heck get sacked, getting sacked multiple times sends a message that your oline sucks, not throwing picks.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerBlue78 View Post
Where's the post? The link directs one to the general forums, not a post.
My bad -- the post is here.

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=96562

You will probably be surprised at just how far Rivers trails the other QB's with the worst O-lines.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Breather maybe, coach?

The post referenced above, over in GD, compares Rivers's 4th-quarter performances to the other QB's with the worst O-lines.

Out of curiosity, I compared his 4th quarters with those of the two QB's I (and I think most people) really distrust, and expect to do choke or do something stupid near the end of the game: Mark Sanchez and Tony Romo. These results surprised me:

4th Quarter Totals:

Sanchez 4 TD's, 1 Int
Romo 8 TD's, 3 Ints

Total: 12 TD's, 4 Ints (Positive 3-1 ratio)

RIVERS 3 TD’s, 8 Ints (Negative 2.67 to 1 ratio)

4th Quarter In Close Game (Score +/- 7)

Sanchez 1 TD's, 1 Int
Romo 4 TD's, 1 Int

Total: 5 TD's, 2 Ints (Positive 2.5 -1 ratio)

RIVERS 1 TD, 7 Ints (Negative 7.0 - 1 ratio)

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).

Old 12-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Rookie

The best reason to trade Rivers is so that he will have a better shot at going to a SB. It worked for Eli and Brees!