Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Default Helpmeout to Armychargerfan

I started this about a month ago when I was known as Helpmeout. I promised that when I get my tank up and running I would have pictures. It is now in the Cycle process and I am allowing about three weeks or more if needed before I put fish in my tank.

“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!
Old 12-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Experienced

This is my tank at sunset... Just kidding, I always wanted a big salt water tank, but until I retire I don't have the time to maintain, but when I win the lottery this will be my tank at sunset.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Bigbird

The good thing about aquariums today is all the new tech that came out in the past few years to help the tank stay healthy. If you let your tank cycle and test the water about once a week to make sure it's perfect before putting fish in, your setting yourself up for success! This goes for freshwater and Saltwater!! All you really got to do is spend about 30 mins each week doing a water change which is about 10% of what your tank size is, and cleaning out the filters. It's really nothing too it, but feeding once or twice a day depending on what fish you get. You can even get an auto feeder which feeds for you.

Overall my tank cost me around $1000, but I did it in steps. That way it was not all at once. It took me five months to get to this point. :-p Now I need to wait for the cycle and get fish!
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.

Yes, he is my bird!

Last edited by ArmyChargerFan; 12-03-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Experienced

Technology rules. I have this plan in my head to use the tank to separate my living room from my dining room where I would have my pool table in the living room. It's about 10 feet across and has vaulted ceilings so height isn't an issue.
It takes me an extra 30 minutes to get out of Fry's because of their tanks. lol

How is the noise for the pumps these days, I heard they used to be loud?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

To be honest, I have the Reef Octopus BH 1000 Protein Skimmer and the Fluval 206 filter. They are not loud at all! I can barely hear them. It's funny because I thought that my pumps were loud but it happened to be the Cat Water bowl that was the problem. It has a loud pump if the water gets low. :-p Once I fixed the water bowl, I heard hardly anything. On a scale of 1-10 the noise level would be a 3!!

For a project like that depending on the size of tank needed, and for it being custom your looking at a good chunk of change! If however you just want to put a 180 Gallon tank between to separate the two rooms it could be cheaper. I say 180 gallon because it's the same Length of the 125 gallon, but higher and wider! This would give your more separation and tank to work with. Standard 180 gallon tank Acrylic will cost your around $1,800 by itself. Glass is cheaper sometimes, and Ebay is a GREAT place to find large aquariums for CHEAP! I suggest Acrylic thou if your going to use it as a separation show piece! Stands range from 500 to 800 for a tank that size, but again Ebay will have the tank and stand a-lot of the times on the cheap! If you want to build your own stand, than all the better!! You can always go bigger, but to set up a SaltWater tank that big if all you want to do it with just Fish and Live Rock (FOWLR) I would say 6 grand easy!! For a Reef tank with coals because the lighting is going to need to be upgraded it could cost up to 9 grand or more!! E-bay is your friend for big tank projects!!!!

Freshwater is cheaper and and can be just as rewarding as Saltwater, and a lot easier to maintain. Discus are some really cool fish for Freshwater and is just as colorful as saltwater fish, they are however one of the hardest freshwater fish to care for. If you do not have the time, I wouldn't do Discus as their water quality needs to be PERFECT!. A lot of other cool freshwater fish are out there!! Oscars are cool looking!! I would say 3 to 4 grand easy for a freshwater tank, even cheaper if you find the tank on Ebay and you can build your own stand.

Do your research before you buy any fish, to make sure you can give it the proper home it needs in order to survive and thrive! The best thing about going Larger is it's EASIER!! Believe it or not, the larger you go with Aquariums the easier it is to maintain! That is because you have more water in the tank to displace any harmful substances that can get into your tank. Also don't overstock your tank, it's always best to under-stock.

Keep in mind that when going bigger, a wet-dry filter sump tank is better than the standard filters. You can get your tanks drilled to install an overflow that will lead to a bottom tank that has all your filter media in it and a pump to pump the water back into the main show tank. It sounds complicated, but it's really not that complicated. Just do your homework and things should be good.

Yes, he is my bird!

Last edited by ArmyChargerFan; 12-03-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM

I have a small fish bowl (unknown size) that used to have a turtle in it, but he died and now it's empty and in the laundry room maybe.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:59 PM
Known as "HelpMeOut"!

Time to dig this back up! From the depths of the Chargers Message boards.

I just wanted to update and show everyone how far my hobby has gone so far. Once you start you don't stop. LOL

This is my new 120 gallon tank. I have gone from a 29 gallon, 55 gallon, and now I am up to 120 gallons. Two of my fish are from my original 29 gallon. Regrettably, I had four deaths in my saltwater career due to them jumping out of my tank. Fish find the ONE TINY opening you don't cover and that's all she wrote! Enjoy!

Yes, he is my bird!

Last edited by ArmyChargerFan; 04-18-2014 at 11:05 PM..