Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Gaither and Meachem are guaranteed their base salaries in 2013. Cutting them would amount to paying them not to be here.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post
I would agree that rivers hasnt been the problem if he werent so successful in the first 3 quarters of games and 4th quarters of games that were already decided (not so much this year but most definitely in 2010 and 2011). To me, it seems like a mental issue. Pressing too much, not confident in his teammates whatever it is, it appears its mostly rivers and its mostly mental.

Rivers is the exact opposite of QBs who thrive in the late game scenarios. He doesnt seem calm, cool and collected. He seems erratic, out of sorts, disorganized. Since from 2007-2009 this wasnt an issue, im going to guess something happened that caused this...if i were a betting man, id look at the 2009 jet playoff game...that was the turning point for rivers and this team. since then they have failed mightily. So i guess im really blaming nate kaeding.
I think both of those things have a lot to do with it. Obviously you wish he wouldn't press, but I can't blame someone for doing so when they have that kind of supporting cast.

A lot of our late game struggles have been self-inflicted. We have consistently stuck to the pass in 2nd halves with double digit leads despite having horrid protection. Rivers stipsix against the Broncos came on a play where we should never have been throwing. Teams have been able to pin their ears back against Rivers all year, especially in the fourth quarter. And when that happens, we haven't been able to block anyone.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
<<I miss Kamri

I dont recall the last time Philip was consistently clutch, but im pretty sure he still had some weapons and a decent to above avg OLine at the time.

I remember lots of forum members saying and agreeing that as long as PR was our QB we would always be "in the hunt", ffwd to now and what has changed? almost everything that was around him 3 years ago and now were seeing he can't do it alone.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Yeah we all operated under the assumption that Rivers could turn any WR into a pro bowler and get the job done behind any kind of line. We gave him too much credit, and didn't give enough to the pro bowlers he was working with. But now the assumption is that he must be broken. I don't know of one good reason to believe that he couldn't be "that guy" again if we replaced the talent he's lost.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Rookie

FB: McClain (14)
-I think this spot is pretty safe. I've liked what he's done this year and see no reason to make a switch. Perhaps we pick up a backup, really depends on the coaching style of Norv's successor.

Why this love affair for McClain? What has he done to deserve any love? Can you remember 1 crushing block? 1 spectacular run that was the result of a McClain block?
And finally, what has he done that Hester couldn't have done? All this early excitement about McClain and what he will bring to our running game has, in my observation, been one of the biggest disappointments!

Last edited by Katdnzr; 12-03-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Draft This Man

Yeah McClain hasn't done anything.

sean of BSX
Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, McClain stinks.

Honestly, we should have just kept Hester, he does the same thing and is pretty damn good on special teams.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Draft This Man

And he's cheaper than McClain. McClain hasn't been good in years.

sean of BSX
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

I asked this question about McCain and it got answered that he was going to contribute as a RB and FB. Some thought he'd be the 2nd RB, wrong. Great blocking FB, wrong.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I asked this question about McCain and it got answered that he was going to contribute as a RB and FB. Some thought he'd be the 2nd RB, wrong. Great blocking FB, wrong.
Yup. Remember that.

-Mario Lopez
Closed Thread