Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who do you want as our new HC, if Norv is replaced?
Ken Whisenhunt 22 6.67%
Chip Kelly 52 15.76%
Pat Shurmer 0 0%
Bruce Arian 61 18.48%
Andy Reid 21 6.36%
Vic Fangio 9 2.73%
Mike Zimmer 21 6.36%
Mike Holmgren 17 5.15%
Jon Gruden 115 34.85%
Lovie Smith 12 3.64%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Not sure I'd hire Whisenhunt as HC, but OC definitely.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Hall of Famer

People are going to have issues with any coach who is available because they got fired. I understand that. Each person will have to ask themselves if they think his issues were mostly his own coaching or the players he had to coach. I lean towards the latter.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaFoutains View Post
Yes, except it's been proven that they weren't really involved in any "pay to intentionally injure programs". It was all based on Williams words, who was doing whatever he could to save himself.

The entire league is "pay for performance" based. The lines get blurred here and suddenly everyone has made out the Saints to be the devil, when in reality we all pay to watch a violent game.

There's a reason why Payton was allowed to attend Saints games and Vilma's suspension has been lifted. They simply aren't bad ppl, they happened to be playing a violent sport with a one kook on the coaching staff.
There is a big difference. Yes its a violent sport. But when a player is told, and payed to take the opposing teams player out on purpose in order to end his career, and then the coaches hide it, and lied. That's when the line is crossed.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
For those who would say Reid (and I know there are a lot), I have to ask if you've been watching the Iggles this year.

His play calling is atrocious. Just now (The SNF game against Cowboys) -- down by two scores, 3d and 19 with 2:30 to go, the play call is . . . . a draw up the middle. Gains 2 yards.

I'm telling you -- if you've been watching him over the last two years, you will think you are watching Norv Turner v. 2.0.
the difference is reid has proven he can rally a team and consistently win, given the right setting. norv, despite several settings, simply hasn't proven as much.

i'm not strongly for or against the walrus, but i will admit we are seeing a shell of him at present, and there's no doubt in my mind he'd be a better HC here than norv is/was.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
People are going to have issues with any coach who is available because they got fired. I understand that. Each person will have to ask themselves if they think his issues were mostly his own coaching or the players he had to coach. I lean towards the latter.
Cards have a lot of the same issues we do. Whisenhout in some ways is similar to Norv, great X, Os guy not sure about his ability to lead. This team needs a leader more than an X, O guy at HC at this particular time.
If let go of Norv we're going to need a OC, good fit there.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
What do you think of Vitt?

The Saints were in free fall before he came back.
Dont know much about him at all. What do you think?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
Dont know much about him at all. What do you think?
I don't know a lot about him either, I just see that the team seems to be playing hard under him and like I said he seems to have had a stabilizing influence.

Just throwing his name out there to see what others think.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
I shouted out,
Who killed the kennedys?
When after all
It was you and me
Pleased to meet you.
Hope you guess my name.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Pleased to meet you.
Hope you guess my name.
Woo Woo
Woo Woo

Meticulous grammar and spelling requested. Thank you.

Haikus on request.

San Diego Chargers: Always a good excuse for failure.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Bandwagon Homer Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaFoutains View Post
Yes, except it's been proven that they weren't really involved in any "pay to intentionally injure programs". It was all based on Williams words, who was doing whatever he could to save himself.
Proven by whom? The case is still in court.

Quote:
The entire league is "pay for performance" based. The lines get blurred here and suddenly everyone has made out the Saints to be the devil, when in reality we all pay to watch a violent game.
There is a difference between a contract salary, and a bounty for injuring players to take them out of a game.

Quote:
There's a reason why Payton was allowed to attend Saints games and Vilma's suspension has been lifted. They simply aren't bad ppl, they happened to be playing a violent sport with a one kook on the coaching staff.
Payton was allowed to attend A game, to watch Brees try to break a decades old record.

Vilma is riding his attorney's coattails, trying to absolve himself of blame.

Too bad Williams threw him under the bus, as did Mike Cerullo.

Quote:
The league has sworn statements from Williams and former Saints assistant coach Mike Cerullo -- who testified last week -- saying Vilma offered $10,000 to anyone who knocked quarterback Brett Favre out of the 2010 NFC Championship Game.
We'll see how it ends, when the charges are resubmitted in the language the judge wanted. Vilma might be smiing for the cameras now, but this case hasn't been decided yet.

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS -- The latest round of appeal hearings in the NFL's bounty investigation have concluded with appearances by former Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress, Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt and linebacker Jonathan Vilma.

Vilma said his appearance went well but declined further comment citing a request for confidentiality by former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, who has been appointed to oversee the proceedings. There were also several days of witness appearances in Washington, D.C., last week.

The hearings were scheduled to conclude in New Orleans by Tuesday, but ended Monday evening after about 10 hours of testimony from the three witnesses.
Quote:
In March, the NFL announced that its investigation showed the Saints put together a bounty pool of up to $50,000 to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opponents. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000 -- with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs, the league said.

According to the league, the pay-for-pain program was administered by Williams, with Payton's knowledge. At the time, Williams apologized for his role, saying: "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it."

Later that month, Payton became the first head coach suspended by the league for any reason -- banned for all of this season without pay -- and Williams was suspended indefinitely.
Williams is spilling his guts, most like in hopes that his "indefinite" suspension will someday be lifted.

I'm still curious on your take as to why Loomis, Payton and Williams never appealed their suspensions?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...rings-continue