Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Give me moar BEEF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I'm not sure of the play in question here. However, a QB has a progression he reads on every play. If a receiver is in that progression, he normally gets picked up, especially if he's wide open. That being said, I can't tell you how many times I've seen a wide open receiver who obviously was not in the QBs progression and people start screaming about how the QB "missed" him. Of course he missed him, because he wasn't supposed to look for him to begin with.
end of the game against the bengals, Rivers never took his eyes off M80 who was double covered and had zero chance of making the play. I am talking 10 yards around him.
"Plan on it! I plan on bringing it every day to practice. Plan on me bringing that every Sunday. Plan on me bringing that to my offensive line. That’s what I’m bringing to the table. When I get there, everyone will realize it."

D.J. Fluker
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM
There's a chance.....

Opinions on moving Green to right tackle and send Clary packing for next year? Green is tall has long arms seems to move better than Clary. Didn't Green play some tackle? I don't remember it being as bad as it is now
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltFanBo View Post
Opinions on moving Green to right tackle and send Clary packing for next year? Green is tall has long arms seems to move better than Clary. Didn't Green play some tackle? I don't remember it being as bad as it is now
Your info is incorrect. Green is short. Not sure about arms. He has played at OT before albeit briefly. My opinion is no.

We need an upgrade at ROT and probably a new LOT. But Green is not the answer. The whole O line needs upgrading in my opinion. We will keep Gaither because he's very good when not injured. Vasquez is OK although I would give him competition at the position. Everybody else needs to be replaced.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Green might stick around in the league as a backup, but he's not starting material.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Bolo Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltFanBo View Post
Green is actually short. He's only 6'2". And yes, he does have longer arms than one would expect from someone his size, but he's not going to work at tackle. He isn't a starting caliber NFL lineman anyways. We need a new RT, but it isn't him.

1. K. Fuller, CB, Va. Tech
2. C. Latimer, WR, Indiana
3. C. Reid, NT, Princeton
4. J. Gayle, OLB, Va. Tech
5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson
6. J. Urschel, C, Penn State
7. B. Allen, NT, Wisconsin

Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Green is actually short. He's only 6'2". And yes, he does have longer arms than one would expect from someone his size, but he's not going to work at tackle. He isn't a starting caliber NFL lineman anyways. We need a new RT, but it isn't him.
Green is fine as a starter if you can surround him with Pro Bowlers. Last year he worked well together with Hardwick and Gaither to form a solid left side of the O line. Put Harris next to him and Green will struggle.

Our next RT is probably not on the roster at present. More than likely they'll be our draft pick or a FA acquisition like Andre Smith.

2014 Mock - trade #25 to MIN for #40* and #72*
2a*) Verrett, CB 2b) Moncrief, WR*) J. Mewhort, OT 3b) E. Ferguson, NT
4) B. Stork, OG/OC, DE 5) B. Ellington, WR 6) C. Marsh, LB 7) Fortt, ILB
Old 12-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Bolo Knows

I disagree. He looked fine for a stretch last season, true, but he's been abused on a weekly basis in 2012. Most of the one-on-one battles that he's losing regularly have nothing to do with who's next to him.

5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson

Old 12-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Bolo Knows

I am going to get really sick of seeing mock drafts that have us taking Jake Matthews in the top 10.

5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson

Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I'd like to see a 2 year process at rebuilding the whole OL. I still say Hardwick is the weakest link on this OL.

First, sign Vasquez to an extension.

Next, draft an OT in round one or two, and draft a center somewhere between rounds 2-4.

Figure the rookie starts at one OT spot, and the other is manned by either Gaither, Clary or Harris.

For the other OG, we have Troutman, and sign one UFA .... if Green comes cheap (as in close to the minimum), then sign him, if not, look elsewhere. Hopefully Troutman wins the job, so we have Vasquez and Troutman at OG's. Green can be a good swing OG-OT as a backup.

If Harris (or Haslam) doesn't show they are future starting quality, then draft another OT in one of the top three rounds in 2014.

Best case scenario for 2013:

LT - Gaither
LG - Troutman
C - Rookie
RG - Vasquez
RT - Rookie

Or the rookie at LT, and either Clary or Harris at RT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I'd like a stud LT to come in and take the job right away, but might be best served if the rookie plays at RT for a year .... especially if the new coaching staff can motivate Gaither (and he stays healthy). Gaither is going to get paid either way.
I like the plans of heavy investment in OLine for the next couple drafts. I think most fans agree.

Also think 'cutting' Gaither isn't a wise move at this point. IF he can't stay healthy or isn't motivated after a couple weeks of training camp, cut him loose. No point in cutting him now- he's gonna get paid. Hopefully a new coaching staff and the criticism after a horrid season will get him motivated for 16 next year.

Either way, we need a big infusion of new blood at Oline.

Also agree on Hardwick. If I had the time, I'd cut up the film and get film of every sack or INT thrown by Rivers from the pocket this year. The problem in a very large percentage of those sacks or INT's is that Rivers has absolutely no pocket to step up into OR Hardwick or an OG are literally in River's lap as he tries to throw. OT's are going to give up pressure off the edge- but teams with successful passing offenses give the QB space to step up when the edge pressure comes.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Bolo Knows

One route we might be able to take with Gaither would be to trade him. We wouldn't get more than a late round pick (if that), but that's a means whereby we could get out of paying him.

5. B. Thomas, G, Clemson