Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
Isnt Cox injury prone?
Yes. He has struggled to stay healthy over his career. Which makes him a risk. For me, the difference between him and Grimes is that when Cox is healthy you know what you're getting (a good corner in his prime). Even if Grimes is healthy, you don't know if he's going to be the same player that he was pre-achilles.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Avril has also played DE both in college, and in Detroit, not OLB, which is where many projected him in his draft year so it would be a totally new position for him to learn now at a more advanced age. At best, he'd be basically playing as a stand up DE for us the first year or two as he learns the LB position, and by then time would start to catch up to him. I too liked his talent coming out of school, but he's a real long shot to make any difference as a 3-4 OLB at this point in his career, IMO.
To be fair, he played a hybrid DE/OLB role at Purdue. So it wouldn't be totally new to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I hope we find a way to keep him as well. I don't know if that's possible though, and I do think he'd probably get more money elsewhere with a good shot at starting. Cleveland in one team, the Jets another, and there's numerous others that could use the type of player he's become. I still think he's still learning too, and might yet surprise people with how good he eventually becomes.
There was a point earlier this season where I thought some team was going to scoop him up as a starter. But the way he's been playing lately, I can't see anyone paying him a starter's salary. If he keeps up the very mediocre play down the stretch, I think it gives us a good shot at retaining him for backup $.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Yes. He has struggled to stay healthy over his career. Which makes him a risk. For me, the difference between him and Grimes is that when Cox is healthy you know what you're getting (a good corner in his prime). Even if Grimes is healthy, you don't know if he's going to be the same player that he was pre-achilles.
Fair enough.

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Watching the Chargers season unfold, one thing has become very apparent to me: we are not going to be able to address all our major needs this offseason through the draft. This year will be another in which we will need to spend on a few key free agents if we want to enter the next season anywhere near being a "complete team."

The way I see it, OG, OLB, OT, and CB all need to be addressed with either a key veteran acquisition or a high draft choice (1st or 2nd round). One could also make the case that RB, TE, ILB, and NT will be in varying statuses of "neediness." Below I've highlighted the likely individuals at each position. Feel free to add and/or discuss. Note, I am leaving out players that I feel are too unrealistic to consider, though of course anyone is welcome to bring up players I've left off.

We pass on Williams from the Texans any chance we pass on Osi from the Giants?

1st Marcus Mariota QB
2nd ANDRUS PEAT LT
3rd Charlie Tua'ua NT
4th Connor Hamlett TE
5th SHAWN OAKMAN DE
Old 12-10-2012, 11:09 AM
RyanMathews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Chargers View Post
Probably will pass on Osi. Unless, If the new staff changes the scheme to a 4-3 and they sign him. But at this point in his career too old to make the transition to a 3-4.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Clary should be moved inside the line. He struggles against.speed.rushers but the guy is as strong as a bull. I think moving him to play Guard will benefit his strengths. I would hope we address LT and RT in the draft and FA and move Clary to play either LG OR RG. I think Vasquez can play either side.

Theres a good chance the Eagle might cut Asomougha, If that happens, I would bring him in at the right price.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Osi will want big money, I dont want the Chargers to spend big money on a player who's best years are behind him.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Next man up

Quote:
As others have said... to late to make a transistion from De to OLB... and to much money to gamble.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM
All-Pro

While a transition to 43 could be possible, the 34 if better against the pass, which in this passing league, is better than the 43. So we aren't bringing in any 43 ends like osi, and i doubt we bring in avril unless we work him out and he shows that he can still play the 34 olb, but even then, he will likely ask for far too much money. The only person worth paying big bucks for is andy levitre, but I doubt the bills let him go. IMO a stop gap, veteran cb must be brought in and gilchrist/wright can compete for the other starting job with another veteran cb. Hopefully jammer will be moved to SS, and ingram can improve to help the pass rush. But a good gm is a must.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:59 AM
RIP Seau

Louis Delmas is a FA. Bring him in at safety next to Weddle?