Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
I think people are just tried of some fans ignorance about the teams problems. Rivers has had his fair share of problems, but he isn't the issue here and most people around the league would say the same thing.

I agree. I never said "Cut Rivers," I just think for our next franchise QB he needs to be a little bit more athletic like Rodgers, Romo, Cutler. Rivers has no balance and has the coordination of a 2 year old.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM
< Need new refs anyways

Quote:
I think people are just tried of some fans ignorance about the teams problems. Rivers has had his fair share of problems, but he isn't the issue here and most people around the league would say the same thing.
LOL. Calling people who think that Rivers' play is an issue "ignorant".

Added to your instant classics.

President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

NFL Marketing Consultant Resource

Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJackson83 View Post
I agree. I never said "Cut Rivers," I just think for our next franchise QB he needs to be a little bit more athletic like Rodgers, Romo, Cutler. Rivers has no balance and has the coordination of a 2 year old.
Rivers acutally has great coordination in the pocket, when there is one. He however, is not like Big Ben or Rodgers. More athletiticism only helps so much though. Just give whoever is the QB more time and then you don't always have to have him scrambling. Strongly disagree with some of the people that think we should draft a QB this year, even in the later rounds. Draft O-line and new Coach that isn't the OC too. If Rivers is still playing poorly, then don't resign him. Simple as that.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongTimeOCBolts View Post
LOL. Calling people who think that Rivers' play is an issue "ignorant".

Added to your instant classics.
It is ignorant, and it shows that some fans truly don't know what they are talking about.

Rivers has had his fair share of mistakes, but he isn't the issue. The problem is the Chargers are not fielding an NFL caliber offensive line. It is hard to run a vertical passing game when you don't have time to throw and you can't step into your throws. On top of that, it screws with the QB's head since he starts sensing pressure that isn't even there which leads to more mistakes.

Kemp17 summed it up best, what honestly has changed about Rivers the last few years? He still at the age when most QB's are at their peaks, he isn't injured etc.

The only thing that has changed is the talent around him has declined, Favre had a similar downturn in 1999 and 2000 and it wasn't because he some how forgot how to play, the talent around him simply declined.

Last edited by Game3524; 12-05-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime24 View Post
Rivers acutally has great coordination in the pocket, when there is one. He however, is not like Big Ben or Rodgers. More athletiticism only helps so much though. Just give whoever is the QB more time and then you don't always have to have him scrambling. Strongly disagree with some of the people that think we should draft a QB this year, even in the later rounds. Draft O-line and new Coach that isn't the OC too. If Rivers is still playing poorly, then don't resign him. Simple as that.
Strongly disagree we should draft a QB in say the 3rd. We cannot sit Rivers this year even if we wanted to because there is zero trust in Charlie. What is the good of a backup if there is zero competition for Rivers and zero confidence in him playing?

The Eagles are a good example of the right thing to do. They drafted a young QB last year and now have him playing over Vick. Yes, Vick got hurt, but they have announced a change for the rest of the year to see what they have in their young QB.

Rivers is NOT a QB who should just get a free pass. He has had 2 awful years in a row and that is worthy of looking towards the future. If it were as easy as fixing the OL and Rivers is cured, then he wouldn't be making the stoopid decisions he makes when the pocket is actually clean.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It is ignorant, and it shows that some fans truly don't know what they are talking about.

Rivers has had his fair share of mistakes, but he isn't the issue. The problem is the Chargers are not fielding an NFL caliber offensive line. It is hard to run a vertical passing game when you don't have time to throw and you can't step into your throws. On top of that, it screws with the QB's head since he starts sense pressure that isn't even there which leads to more mistakes.

Kemp17 summed it up best, what honestly has changed about Rivers the last few years? He still at the age when most QB's are at their peaks, he isn't injured etc.

The only thing that has changed is the talent around him has declined, Favre had a similar downturn in 1999 and 2000 and wasn't because he some how forgot how to play, the talent around him simply declined.
The bolded is so false. To say a QB who has had over 50 turnovers in the last 28 games isn't an issue is just blind homerism.

And you know what has changed in Rivers...his confidence. He is playing like a scared rookie and no matter how bad his OL has gotten, that cannot happen to an "elite" QB in his prime years
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
The bolded is so false. To say a QB who has had over 50 turnovers in the last 28 games isn't an issue is just blind homerism.

And you know what has changed in Rivers...his confidence. He is playing like a scared rookie and no matter how bad his OL has gotten, that cannot happen to an "elite" QB in his prime years
And you don't think that has nothing to do with the offensive line........I mean really?
Old 12-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
And you don't think that has nothing to do with the offensive line........I mean really?
Of course, but an elite athlete in his prime years cannot be scared and play scared. Craig Biggio got hit by a pitch damn near 300 times in his career. You think hit by pitch # 189 made him scared to get back into the box?

I understand that the OL is a major issue but to say Rivers is not an issue or isn't the issue is just false. The worst interception I have ever seen in my life (against the Bucs) had zero to do with the OL
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Of course, but an elite athlete in his prime years cannot be scared and play scared. Craig Biggio got hit by a pitch damn near 300 times in his career. You think hit by pitch # 189 made him scared to get back into the box?

I understand that the OL is a major issue but to say Rivers is not an issue or isn't the issue is just false. The worst interception I have ever seen in my life (against the Bucs) had zero to do with the OL
And every time we're down or driving at the end of a game, hell every time we're on offense - you know every charger fan is thinking "please don't throw another interception," and yet he always does. Our wariness of the o-line does not lead to that kind of thinking, if it was we would be more worried about sacks/stripped fumbles.

Last edited by Prae; 12-05-2012 at 05:57 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 PM
DVBenz

Rivers will be turning 36 in 5 years, he will be gone. The Chargers may get another Ryan Leaf or a Tom Brady, most likely something in between.