Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
Hard to say. I'm not going to comment any further because I'm not inside draft rooms. The way it has been explained to me by people very familiar with the draft process is that players are evaluated on their attributes and how they will contribute to a team. Not by a draft rank. Draft ranks are not all that useful and limit player analysis. We use draft ranks because its a convenient way of quickly lumping all those attributes together in a generalization.

And you think that happens on a regular basis? Come on Kemp. You honestly think there is going to be a situation where a team likes 5 players equally, for the same position, and has the option of moving back 6 spots? You are describing an entirely unrealistic scenario.

I don't know about you, but there are rarely more then 2 players that I consider on an equal footing in terms of skill set and ability for any given position - even then I have my preference. And trade backs are generally for more than 6 spots if you want to get anything besides another 6th round pick.

EDIT: Hell, if I was a scout and I liked 5 players equally well I think I would resign as I had obviously lost my touch.
Last year the Bucs dropped down with the Jags and received the Jags 4th round pick. Where they picked Barron.

They then moved by up to take Martin by swapping their second and the 4th they just got for Denver's 1st pick.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Hard to say. I'm not going to comment any further because I'm not inside draft rooms. The way it has been explained to me by people very familiar with the draft process is that players are evaluated on their attributes and how they will contribute to a team. Not by a draft rank. Draft ranks are not all that useful and limit player analysis. We use draft ranks because its a convenient way of quickly lumping all those attributes together in a generalization.

And you think that happens on a regular basis? Come on Kemp. You honestly think there is going to be a situation where a team likes 5 players equally, for the same position, and has the option of moving back 6 spots? You are describing an entirely unrealistic scenario.

I don't know about you, but there are rarely more then 2 players that I consider on an equal footing in terms of skill set and ability for any given position - even then I have my preference. And trade backs are generally for more than 6 spots if you want to get anything besides another 6th round pick.

EDIT: Hell, if I was a scout and I liked 5 players equally well I think I would resign as I had obviously lost my touch.
Quote:
1. And I'm saying he will be worth the price we paid if we can give him a line to run behind. Maybe Barry Sanders could make our offensive line look good, but otherwise you can't claim that Ryan Mathews was a bad pick, and therefore not worth the tradeup, when its probably not even his fault that his stats aren't reflecting the production this team expected.

2. If you are happy with Butler and Weddle then what is the problem? They were either worth trading up to get, or they weren't.

P.S. I think I need to say that I'm not an advocate of moving up or down. I wanted Jared Odrick + Ben Tate in 2010. But if you have to make a move, I think a move to grab a guy you feel is going to be special is better than trading back and rolling the dice.
Here's the issue Shock, we don't have to show that trading down is always a good thing... or even that it's often a good thing. All we've said is that it can be a good thing. So to disprove that, you'd have to illustrate how it never happens and it's always a bad thing. It's puts a pretty hefty burden of proof on your shoulders.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Shock and Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Here's the issue Shock, we don't have to show that trading down is always a good thing... or even that it's often a good thing. All we've said is that it can be a good thing. So to disprove that, you'd have to illustrate how it never happens and it's always a bad thing. It's puts a pretty hefty burden of proof on your shoulders.
http://forums.chargers.com/showpost....8&postcount=71

And all I've said is that trading down can be a bad thing. So we have two positions that can't be disproved.

I've felt I've proved my point in the above logic.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 12-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Hall of Famer

You proved that it can be a bad idea. But it seems that you've been arguing why it's always a bad idea.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Area 51 Contractor

Although its much too early for us fans to formulate our fun little draft mocks be it a simple one or involving creative trades up or down there's one strong feeling I'm having. I strongly think the powers that be next year will do some trading up. Specifically our 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Hopefully not. We'll be picking high enough in each round to most likely make that unnecessary.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Area 51 Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Hopefully not. We'll be picking high enough in each round to most likely make that unnecessary.
I agree. This is the first time I've followed my favorite team's draft go this high. It sure is a weird feeling.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Speaking of talking about trading up/down, looks like Harrison Smith turned out to be a pretty good pick for the Vikes

Then again, so did Reyes
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Area 51 Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Speaking of talking about trading up/down, looks like Harrison Smith turned out to be a pretty good pick for the Vikes

Then again, so did Reyes

The Vikings like this guy. He reminds me of a bigger version of Weddle.
I watched a couple of Viking games and was amazed of what I saw out of him. I knew his 3-cone agility combine numbers could potentially translate well unto the field. What I didn't know is he'd be this good this early. I saw him against Tampa and against the Packers. This guy was everywhere. He doesn't shy away from tackling big WRs or TEs and plays the ball well.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK46um View Post
I agree. This is the first time I've followed my favorite team's draft go this high. It sure is a weird feeling.
how old are you?

The team has picked high many times not all that long ago. Say what you want about AJ, he spoiled us for a while before destroying our hopes and dreams.