Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 PM
PHILIP RIVERS SUPPORTER

We have an oline??? Where have you seen them?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Not to trivialize the dysfunction down to one thing. But i truly feel that a better oline would have been the difference with the kind of offense we are capable of running. We had time to address this in the offseason and didnt
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Now if I could only see the lottery numbers this well
You were right.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Vick and Cutler have both missed games. The Cards and Eagles suck just like us, while the Packers and Bears have better skill players. The Chargers offense is also the least forgiving on the Oline with it's verticle passing attack that hasn't evolved enough. I'd say Rivers has it worse than anyone not in Arizona.
Yeah, Arizona is the only team that has a worst tackle combo then the Chargers.

Mike Harris is statistically the worst starting LT in the league, Clary is still in the bottom half among RTs. I am not saying you need to get some All-pros up front, but dammitt can we at least gets some guys who are starter worthy and can handle their match ups once in a while.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Yeah, Arizona is the only team that has a worst tackle combo then the Chargers.

Mike Harris is statistically the worst starting LT in the league, Clary is still in the bottom half among RTs. I am not saying you need to get some All-pros up front, but dammitt can we at least gets some guys who are starter worthy and can handle their match ups once in a while.
The kind of line you need depends on the team but for us, we need an above average line or Rivers is a turnover machine. With a good line he's a boarderline top 5 QB. If we don't make the Oline priority #1 we are going to be looking forward to the draft this time next year too.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The kind of line you need depends on the team but for us, we need an above average line or Rivers is a turnover machine. With a good line he's a boarderline top 5 QB. If we don't make the Oline priority #1 we are going to be looking forward to the draft this time next year too.
Not really.

The Chargers offensive line in 2009 and 2010 were about middle of the pack statistically and Rivers did fine.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Not really.

The Chargers offensive line in 2009 and 2010 were about middle of the pack statistically and Rivers did fine.
I don't subscribe to Oline stats but I do remember it being better then than now. We also had VJ and Sproles. Those offenses were better all around, PR included. I think the quality of the Oline has to excede the NFL average for PR to get his mojo back. If he still can't do it then we will be in the market for a QB. Either way we need a good Oline so we can accurately judge the QB's play.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I don't subscribe to Oline stats but I do remember it being better then than now. We also had VJ and Sproles. Those offenses were better all around, PR included. I think the quality of the Oline has to excede the NFL average for PR to get his mojo back. If he still can't do it then we will be in the market for a QB. Either way we need a good Oline so we can accurately judge the QB's play.
The line was merely average when Gaither played and Rivers was fine. I think some exaggerate Rivers's needs, he doesn't need all-pros to be effective. It would be nice, but just getting some quality starters would go a long way.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Hall of Famer

Looks like Steelers Linebacker Larry Foote knows the truth on why the Chargers arent succeeding... The steelers lost their young offensive line studs early in the season how do you thing they started bouncing back

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...s-search-power

Michigan blues
Steelers linebacker Larry Foote, a Michigan man, asked San Diego reporters for an update on three younger Michigan men with the Chargers: Jonas Mouton and Stephen Schilling, both drafted in 2011, and David Molk, taken in 2012.
Foote was displeased to hear that Molk is on injured reserve, that Mouton, selected 61st, sat out the '11 season and didn't make his NFL debut until last Sunday, and that Schilling was cut before the season and re-signed this week.
“Too much fun in the sun,” Foot said in jest. “They’re out there surfing too much. Tell them I said get their butts in the weight room and get healthy.”
Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
The line was merely average when Gaither played and Rivers was fine. I think some exaggerate Rivers's needs, he doesn't need all-pros to be effective. It would be nice, but just getting some quality starters would go a long way.
I guess it depends on what we're talking about. Improving the Oline to any degree should help Rivers play better, but an average Oline probably won't get it done come playoff time when we've got a game at Pitt or Houston.

It's something of a moot point until we know who our HC is and what kind of system he's going to install though.