Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
And even more importantly, as you pointed out in referencing Houston's draft slot, theoretically the drop in talent from the top 10 of a round to the last 8 picks, depending on what Houston does in the playoffs, is tremendous. A truly bad...bad...bad idea.

I could see dropping a few spots in the first if our main guy(s) are taken...depending on what's on the board, who's drafting behind us, and whether or not we think the next guy we want is going to be there, but that's a gamble too. We need QUALITY on this team, not quantity. We have plenty of quantity right now, which is one of the reasons for our record.
Plus he was talking about trading our first for their second and third... not their first. So going from top 10 to around 60. Puke.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-07-2012, 08:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post
So much will happen between now and draft day. A top 10 pick (or two) will slide down the draft while a mid to bottom 1st round prospect or two will be taken in the top 10. Trading down may ultimately be the right or wrong move but it's still so early. Sadly, the draft is all I (and several others) are looking forward to at this point.

It's going to be interesting to see who the next HC and GM will be as it will affect our offensive and defensive schemes. Changing to a 4-3 D or a run first offense would change the type of players we seek out.

I'm hoping we can take an OT with our 1st pick and an OG with our 2nd pick. I'm open to the idea of trading down but it needs be the right fit. Getting Levitre would be awesome but he likely won't leave Buffalo and if he does we'll have to overpay.

Hopefully we can find a stud OLB or CB in free agency but our best bet will be to draft and develop them. Odds are the free agents we'll find will be stopgap players.

This is going to be an exciting offseason indeed...but first we'll have to suffer through more poor offense and a few more losses.
You're right, we surely don't know how it will go or what the situation will be. But I CAN say with all certainly that trading our first round pick for another teams second and third is a terrible idea regardless. Especially when our picks will be high and theirs will be low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Can we stow the Levitre talk until he actually becomes an FA?

Guy will be resigned, book it.

The rest of the theory was a great and entertaining read.
Then we can't really talk about any FA's can we? I mean, they could all be resigned. The Bills just spent a grip of money last year and they're in talks with Byrd, not Levitre.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Hall of Famer

I wanted Levitre, I mocked him to us, I rated him as the top OG in the draft. No one listened to me. Also wanted TJ Lang and Sebastian Vollmer when nobody had heard of them.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:14 AM
Hall of Famer

i would Trade Rivers and wish him well he might be able to get a Ring in Jacksonville and we can get 1st rounder next year or this year we should work on our run game Johnathan Franklin we could pick up Oline coachs like the ones we had when cam cameron was coaching or just build in the draft

1st Marcus Mariota QB
2nd ANDRUS PEAT LT
3rd Charlie Tua'ua NT
4th Connor Hamlett TE
5th SHAWN OAKMAN DE
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super.Chargers View Post
i would Trade Rivers and wish him well he might be able to get a Ring in Jacksonville and we can get 1st rounder next year or this year we should work on our run game Johnathan Franklin we could pick up Oline coachs like the ones we had when cam cameron was coaching or just build in the draft
I believe Mauck was the OL coach back then. After Cam went to Miami, Mauck went to Illinois or somewhere in the mid-west and I haven't heard of him since. I think the Jags may see what they can do with Henne at QB. I thought the Dolphins gave up on him way too fast, plus they never did bring in a real QB coach for the guy. The closest they came was the old UCLA coach, Dorrell, who was a WR before becoming a coach. The one team who might just jump at a chance for Rivers who also has a good chance to have a pretty high draft slot and isn't in our division, is the Jets. However, you then need a QB, and a whole new plan on how you're going to build your team, for if you go with a rookie QB, and hit on a good prospect, you're still 2-3 years out. I did mention a scenario like that were we took the QB in the 2nd, and used the two 1st round picks to further strengthen the defense with a stud pass rusher and a DB. I don't think we need to replace Rivers though. Give him some OL and he should be just fine once again. I think Kemp has been pushing the most logical and ideal plan of attack by using FA to fortify part of the problem on the line, and using our No. 1 pick to augment the FA pickup(s).
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4aRing View Post
I wanted Levitre, I mocked him to us, I rated him as the top OG in the draft. No one listened to me. Also wanted TJ Lang and Sebastian Vollmer when nobody had heard of them.
Does your ego need a little massaging today T4?

Old 12-08-2012, 09:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I believe Mauck was the OL coach back then. After Cam went to Miami, Mauck went to Illinois or somewhere in the mid-west and I haven't heard of him since. I think the Jags may see what they can do with Henne at QB. I thought the Dolphins gave up on him way too fast, plus they never did bring in a real QB coach for the guy. The closest they came was the old UCLA coach, Dorrell, who was a WR before becoming a coach. The one team who might just jump at a chance for Rivers who also has a good chance to have a pretty high draft slot and isn't in our division, is the Jets. However, you then need a QB, and a whole new plan on how you're going to build your team, for if you go with a rookie QB, and hit on a good prospect, you're still 2-3 years out. I did mention a scenario like that were we took the QB in the 2nd, and used the two 1st round picks to further strengthen the defense with a stud pass rusher and a DB. I don't think we need to replace Rivers though. Give him some OL and he should be just fine once again. I think Kemp has been pushing the most logical and ideal plan of attack by using FA to fortify part of the problem on the line, and using our No. 1 pick to augment the FA pickup(s).

My son said that he read about a possible trade with the Jets involving Rivers. Something like Bolts give the Jets Rivers, get 2013 1st, 2014 1st and a 2nd in either 13 or 14, bolts choice. I suspect that the value scale would not show this to be an even trade, but do not know enough to say one way or the other....

GO BOLTS !
Old 12-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
A lot of fans are going to want us to somehow trade around and get enough picks that we get address all our needs in the top two rounds. It's not realistic. And our first is going to be worth sooooo much more than their 2nd, 3rd, and Jones. If we trade back at all (I don't want to), it should only be a few slots so we can still land some upper echelon talent.
No, it isn't realistic. The Chargers need to concentrate on the offensive line, and they can't afford to miss on a pick.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Hall of Famer

I like the idea of getting some extra picks, but honestly the Texans are a team we'll have to get past (along with the Donks and Pats) for the forseeable future to win a SB. The last thing we need to do is give them a top 10 pick. Let them pick 28th like we had to for those few years we were good. The Texans don't need any help from us.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
My son said that he read about a possible trade with the Jets involving Rivers. Something like Bolts give the Jets Rivers, get 2013 1st, 2014 1st and a 2nd in either 13 or 14, bolts choice. I suspect that the value scale would not show this to be an even trade, but do not know enough to say one way or the other....

GO BOLTS !
Sounds like some solid Bleacher Report material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
No, it isn't realistic. The Chargers need to concentrate on the offensive line, and they can't afford to miss on a pick.
Hey, we agree on something!

Yes, hitting on our first picks will be a lot easier and more profitable if we pick in the top 10 of each round, rather than the bottom 10.