Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who wins the Heisman?
Manti Te'o 8 40.00%
Johnny Football 11 55.00%
Collin Klein 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:16 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,340
Default

UGA LB Tony Taylor in 07. Went undrafted as well.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is online now
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
1. Hows that?
The "off base" I referred to was not your take on Te'o, but your statement that the stats only mean something to me because I like Te'o. The stats meant something to me because during the broadcast, they obviously meant something to the folks that put together the Heisman ceremony (or maybe the ESPN folks). I can't remember how they combined them exactly, but when you took his tackles; interceptions; and missed tackles and put them together, they were significant over the years. The stats, and his play, also obviously meant something to the voters on the various award committees for the awards he has won. To look at it from another angle, I had no reason to like Te'o except for the numbers, and watching a couple of his games. You had the cause and effect backwards.

I hate quoting Bayliss, as well, and yes, the whole media was at my disposal. But he was easy because I remember watching the First Take crew discussing it. (And nobody on the panel took major issue with his comment).
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).


Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM
MauiBolt's Avatar
MauiBolt MauiBolt is offline
........
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jack Murphy
Posts: 5,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
Riddle me this

Player A:
103 tackles, 52 solo, 51 assts...TFL,5.5...Sacks 1.5... Int's, 7...Fumble recovery, 1...

Player B:
96 tackles, 65 solo, 31 assts...TFL, 7.5... Sacks 3... Int's 7... Fumble recovery, 3...

Who is who, who had the better season?
whoever has the undefeated team...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBolt View Post
whoever has the undefeated team...
He's not the reason they are undefeated, and that LB is not the reason they lost games.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
WootMonkey WootMonkey is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Park
Posts: 11,138
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBolt View Post
whoever has the undefeated team...
Clearly...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
abernardojr's Avatar
abernardojr abernardojr is offline
Yes indeed
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: .
Posts: 4,182
Default

Stats don't mean everything when the Heisman candidates are chosen. They obviously play a significant role but if one player has better stats than another that doesn't mean that that player is better deserving of the Heisman. Just like the player with the best stats doesn't always win MVP.

Anyway I was rooting for both Heismanziel and Teo, would have been cool if either won, which was almost a lock lol First freshman or first defense-only player to win was a good storyline
__________________

The Right Side of the Rivalry

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:52 PM
MauiBolt's Avatar
MauiBolt MauiBolt is offline
........
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Jack Murphy
Posts: 5,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
He's not the reason they are undefeated, and that LB is not the reason they lost games.
lol? your dislike to teo is strong...never said he was the reason they are undefeated but he sure helps..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-09-2012, 08:18 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is offline
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiBolt View Post
lol? your dislike to teo is strong...never said he was the reason they are undefeated but he sure helps..
You're saying Te'o had a better season because his team was undefeated. You can look at the stats right there, you'll see this other guy had better stats than Te'o without the All American line. And yet he's not considered a candidate, heck, doesn't even get invited.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:33 PM
LongTimeOCBolts's Avatar
LongTimeOCBolts LongTimeOCBolts is online now
Breather maybe, coach?
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lots of different places
Posts: 9,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
You're saying Te'o had a better season because his team was undefeated. You can look at the stats right there, you'll see this other guy had better stats than Te'o without the All American line. And yet he's not considered a candidate, heck, doesn't even get invited.
I might agree with your point -- can't be sure, since I don't know the player. Not having seen him, or talked to the guys who did (or failed to), this could be a real shame. I've made no secret of the fact that I know the world of baseball prospects / scouting; far more than I know the world of football prospects and drafting.

But in the baseball world, I have shaken my head more than once, seeing a legitimate talent who I knew could go places, but who was not afforded the opportunity. Could be a small school. Could be an oversight. Could be that he didn't fit "the mold" for a particular position. But I can attest that there are a LOT of athletes in that sport, at least, who really could've "been somebody", had they only had the opportunity. It often makes me sad, actually.
__________________
President of the Official CMB Ladarius Green Fan Club.

(aka Factless, Clueless, Agenda Driven, Myopic, Ball Watching
Chargersfan).


Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-09-2012, 10:47 PM
nmboltsfan's Avatar
nmboltsfan nmboltsfan is offline
run.eat.sleep.repeat.
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 20,579
Default

I'm older than the guy who won the Heisman WHY AM I SO OLD NOW. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN.

(Personally I would've preferred AJ McCarron, RTR)
__________________
chargers.rockies.

Photographers: Visit the Off Topic Photography Thread!
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=99625
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 AM.


© 2012 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.