Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 AM
Hall of Famer

If Long goes to FA, then it would be wise to check the asking price....

Taking a huge risk on paying high $ to a LT with injuries isn't going to be well received, as the Bolts currently have that going with Gaither, and it hasn't worked out to well.

GO BOLTS !
Old 12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
The problem is that casual fan perception of Long isn't reality. He's mediocre right now. He hasn't been the dominant left tackle that most think of him as since 2010.
Yup, his decline is very similar to Marcus McNeill. Great for the first couple of years and then decline kicks in and yet people still think he is a top tier LT. I would pass on Long, his price range is simply not worthy the player he is right now.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM
You CAN'T Run!

forget about Gaither. We need to keep him on the roster because of his talent, but he can't be counted on. I say we TELL him to move to RT or elect to walk without pay. He's massive and can move. If Jake Long passes his physical, have him play LT, Gaither at RT, Vasquez at RG, Hardwick at C, and draft Chance Warmack (depending on draft position but definitely draft a G in first 3 rounds) we would have an extremely talented team. Still, a couple of talented players need to be brought in on the line to add depth but one move could spawn a big change for the Chargers' OL.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Draft This Man

Gaither won't play RT and his salary is guaranteed. I like Long, but his play has trailed off. Whether due to injuries or not, lot someone else pay him.

sean of BSX
Old 12-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojo View Post
forget about Gaither. We need to keep him on the roster because of his talent, but he can't be counted on. I say we TELL him to move to RT or elect to walk without pay. He's massive and can move. If Jake Long passes his physical, have him play LT, Gaither at RT, Vasquez at RG, Hardwick at C, and draft Chance Warmack (depending on draft position but definitely draft a G in first 3 rounds) we would have an extremely talented team. Still, a couple of talented players need to be brought in on the line to add depth but one move could spawn a big change for the Chargers' OL.
For whatever reason Gaither is horrible at RT. They tried moving him there in Baltimore and it just didnt pan out. Also why cash out so much money for Jake Long, its gonna cost a lot to bring him in. There will be other teams who will want him.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
It's a moot point anyways, because Johnson doesn't fit our scheme. He's definitely not a 5 technique and probably not an outside linebacker. We would have to move to a 4-3, which I would rather not do.
Hire Del Rio. Run the hybrid he does in Denver. Johnson play dumervils position and ingram can play millers.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltzCO View Post
Hire Del Rio. Run the hybrid he does in Denver. Johnson play dumervils position and ingram can play millers.
Del Rio doesn't run a hybrid. He runs a 4-3 that features Miller often as a blitzer. I don't want to move to a 4-3.

Also, he's a terrible head coach and that's the only way we will get him here. He isn't leaving his defensive coordinator job for the same position on another team.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

HMMMMMMM,
Some on this board say Long will demand Thomas money yet he's decline isn't worth the risk!
Good thing no other team is in the know about Long.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Bolt View Post
HMMMMMMM,
Some on this board say Long will demand Thomas money yet he's decline isn't worth the risk!
Good thing no other team is in the know about Long.
It's not that no other team would be "in the know." It's that there are 32 GM's out there, giving Long a good chance that someone will take a chance and overpay for a player who was once probably the best LT in the NFL. I just don't want that team to be us.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
It's not that no other team would be "in the know." It's that there are 32 GM's out there, giving Long a good chance that someone will take a chance and overpay for a player who was once probably the best LT in the NFL. I just don't want that team to be us.
I disagree. Offensive line is the by far the most crucial need for the Chargers and while he has some injury concerns I believe he will be worth paying. Does that mean he will return to old form? No, but there are always risks with adding free agents and even "sure things" in FA aren't sure things (i.e. Albert Haynesworth). If there were a risk the Chargers needed to take then OL would be it. Jake Long added and then adding another tackle such as Lewan, Matthews, or Fisher through the draft would instantly upgrade the offensive line.