Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Default 2013 The New Beginning.....In a galaxy, Far

The New GM signs a Good OT or G, Cuts some fat,
English, Meachem, Royal, Clary,

We Need in my estimation
G-T-C
RB
CB
ILB possible

Number 5 from ND ILB MT if on the Board or the Best OT/G is my choice....
I bet we can get a starting RB or good Oline in rd 2 as well.

another FA stephen Jackson? try to get MJD? are moves id look into... Maybe CB in FA?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM
Hall of Famer

CB in free agency would be a good move as rookie corners generally aren't big upgrades.

Keep in mind Meachem's salary for 2013 is guaranteed. You'd have to find a team to trade for him if you wanted to dump his salary.

I think you're leaving off OLB. Phillips, Barnes are hitting the market. Maybe you keep one, but not both. If you keep Phillips, he's getting old and ineffective. If you keep Barnes, he's only a situational guy anyways. That leaves JJ and Ingram if you're planning on cutting English.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
RyanMathews

I don't know if anyone paid attention to English yesterday, he looked good. The times I did see him, he was all over applying pressure.

Last edited by RyanMathews; 12-10-2012 at 10:42 AM..
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
All-Pro

I didn't hear English's name once yesterday, doesn't mean he didn't play well, but I have seen him on the field and to me it looks like he takes plays off. Im not informed on the depth of OT in the draft, but would there be an a good OT available if we did go Teo in the 1st round? I just dont think we can afford to miss a stud OT this draft. I hope we can get an CB and another OT from free agency.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Yeah English actually applied some pressure yesterday. If he keeps that up, then great... keep him on the roster for depth in 2013. But if that's just a relatively small flash in the pan, then cut him. Either way, he's nothing more than a depth guy at best. Not the answer.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by daygobrett View Post
I didn't hear English's name once yesterday, doesn't mean he didn't play well, but I have seen him on the field and to me it looks like he takes plays off. Im not informed on the depth of OT in the draft, but would there be an a good OT available if we did go Teo in the 1st round? I just dont think we can afford to miss a stud OT this draft. I hope we can get an CB and another OT from free agency.
English did have a good game. He clipped Big Ben a couple of times and got some holding calls. No sacks but the Chargers missed a lot of tackles on Roethlisberger in the back field.

I'd rather retain Phillips for another year or add a rookie then depend on English who has an injury history as depth.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
English did have a good game. He clipped Big Ben a couple of times and got some holding calls. No sacks but the Chargers missed a lot of tackles on Roethlisberger in the back field.

I'd rather retain Phillips for another year or add a rookie then depend on English who has an injury history as depth.
Phillips' age is catchign up with him. We may be better off letting him walk, as opposed to investing significant dollars in a declining player. I might actually prefer to retain Barnes for less money, maybe keep English for depth, and draft someone in the 2nd round.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
<<I miss Kamri

That's all English has been able to do "apply pressure" but he can't finish. He hasnt developed a move or maybe upper body strength to shed the blocker and ge to the QB before he gets rid of it.

I see English get off the line pretty fast but cant get around the tackle.
Im sure in practice he beats Clary on a regular basis
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-Charger-Fan View Post
That's all English has been able to do "apply pressure" but he can't finish. He hasnt developed a move or maybe upper body strength to shed the blocker and ge to the QB before he gets rid of it.

I see English get off the line pretty fast but cant get around the tackle.
Im sure in practice he beats Clary on a regular basis
the dude is a bust but at least its not because he doesnt try....he just cant play at this level all too well. i rather not rely on him as a back up either. would make me worried to have an injury riddled guy as a back up.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Hall of Famer

To clarify, when I talk about keeping him for depth I mean as the 4th or 5th OLB. Not a primary backup.