Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:25 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper300zx View Post
We definitely got one of our "forward pass called fumbles" back.

I didn't actually get to watch much of this game -- I do find it funny, however, that NFL Network talked about that pass in a little more detail.
We can't deny there is some favoritism around this league-- the Chargers have done a great job losing games on their own, but conspiracy or not, the Bolts won't get balls called strikes much until they win an SB.
Maybe, but this wasn't the Jags or the Browns we're talking about here.

This is the Steelers, NFL darlings. And the Chargers got virtually every call their way. It's just dumb to think that the refs are making a concerted effort to NOT make calls go one teams way over another on a consistent basis. Are there bad calls, sure. But I highly doubt there's a statistically significant difference in bad calls by team. Remember that bogus holding call against the Pats that cost them the game vs Arizona earlier this year? Happens to ALL teams.

You can't argue that logic. YOU CAN'T!!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post

This is the Steelers, NFL darlings. And the Chargers got virtually every call their way. It's just dumb to think that the refs are making a concerted effort to NOT make calls go one teams way over another on a consistent basis. Are there bad calls, sure. But I highly doubt there's a statistically significant difference in bad calls by team. Remember that bogus holding call against the Pats that cost them the game vs Arizona earlier this year? Happens to ALL teams.
those were the replacement refs...

pats record before the refs came back 1-2
since 8-1.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM
4th and Hooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post

since 8-1.
Oh my bad, clear cut evidence of a massive conspiracy against the Chargers! EXPOSED!!

If anyone was MORE likely to blatantly fix a game, it'd be a replacement ref over a permanent one anyway.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:30 AM
4th and Hooters

Chargers didn't get ONE CALL out of 20 in a game?

ANCIENT ALIENS!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Oh my bad, clear cut evidence of a massive conspiracy against the Chargers! EXPOSED!!
well it certainly isnt clear cut, but you cant use that "bogus" holding call on gronkowski against the cardinals as evidence the refs screw over all teams when it wasnt even the real refs.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
Boo first. Think later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion butts View Post

since 8-1.
All the good teams started playing better

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
If anyone was MORE likely to blatantly fix a game, it'd be a replacement ref over a permanent one anyway.

why? because in their short time in their new position at what i believe they feel is a dream job they want to manipulate games to make profit for themselves?

sure...way more likely.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Posting from View 36!

Quote:

The replacement would have less to lose, but if there were a league conspiracy, presumably the permanent ref would have more to gain.

I don't buy that there's a conspiracy, but at times I do question the impartiality of the refs. I certainly think that in terms of calls made and not made, the replacement refs were on the whole *better* than the regular refs. They took too long to make calls, certainly, but I was much more happy with the calls they made and didn't make (they generally just let the players play, which I appreciated. Also, after years of not seeing a PI call waved off because of a pass is uncatchable, I saw it happen several times with the replacements! Also etc) than I have been with the calls made and not made by the regular refs over the last several years.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Hall of Famer

I remember another QB getting called on that, but I don't remember who it was or what game it was. I believe it was a Monday night game though.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:

I don't have any particular call or game I have issue with, but the lack of consistency week to week is pretty ridiculous.

Take the head bob calls on Rivers for instance. I have no issues calling that if it's applied across the league and by all crews. However, sit back and watch Manning work out of the shotgun sometime. Dude is waving arms and moving all over the place up until the snap of the ball and he actually steps TOWARDS the line of scrimmage every shotgun snap just prior to the snap. Somehow that doesn't draw a flag, but a slight head bob on a hard count does?

The whole idea of defensive players being drawn off is stupid, IMO. First day of football at any level you get taught to react to the ball, not players.