Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Jim Harbaugh messed up IMO

I think it was a major mistake sitting Smith for CK. I believe it sends a bad message to the rest of the team when you take a winning QB who is rated in the top (passer rating) and sit him because he was hurt.

Far too many people put too much stock into the performance CK had against Chicago. Kaepernick is a tremendous talent, but he is more prone to make a big mistake than Smith and once you are all in, it's going to be hard to take it back if things start to go wrong.

I believe this is his team of the future, but I believe that future should have started after this season ends.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 AM
Hall of Famer

"You don't lose your job to injury" is a nice saying that the TV folk like to throw around, but seems to be less of reality in today's NFL. I fully expect an NFL coach to play the player that he thinks gives him the best chance of winning. Though I agree it sends a message to the other players that they are essentially replaceable at any time, which in most cases they are. Not much room for sentiment now-a-days.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Hall of Famer

I think Kaepernick has more upside than Smith and I don't see any point in holding off to be honest. People have been wanting CK to take over for a while, don't forget their teammates sees them both in practice every day along with the coaching staff and so far I haven't seen anything come out that they were unhappy with the change. Harbaugh wouldn't have made this change if he really didn't feel that they had a better shot at winning the big one with CK so we'll see how it works out. Smith has shown he can be inconsistent in clutch situations so it's not like they benched Peyton Manning for a third stringer.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryinCA View Post
I think Kaepernick has more upside than Smith and I don't see any point in holding off to be honest. People have been wanting CK to take over for a while, don't forget their teammates sees them both in practice every day along with the coaching staff and so far I haven't seen anything come out that they were unhappy with the change. Harbaugh wouldn't have made this change if he really didn't feel that they had a better shot at winning the big one with CK so we'll see how it works out. Smith has shown he can be inconsistent in clutch situations so it's not like they benched Peyton Manning for a third stringer.
Didnt Vernon Davis come out and say Smith was still his QB or something like that? Also while Kaepernick is definitely more able to hit the be play than Smith, its not like Smith is incapable of it. He went toe to toe with Drew Brees and Company last year and out threw the dude. I think Smith is able to get in there and throw the ball around when needed. He was a high draft pick for a reason afterall, I know it was how many years ago, but he has talent as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:17 PM
RIP Seau

Thing is, Alex Smith is a game manager. They got eliminated by the Giants last year because he does enough not to lose the game by taking care of the ball, he doesn't do anything else to win the game. Kaepernick at least has the ability to be a play maker. They won't go to the SB with just Smith.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
Thing is, Alex Smith is a game manager. They got eliminated by the Giants last year because he does enough not to lose the game by taking care of the ball, he doesn't do anything else to win the game. Kaepernick at least has the ability to be a play maker. They won't go to the SB with just Smith.
with that defense they could...ask dilfer or rex grossman, and smith is better than both of them.

I think kaepernick can do just as well if not better but harbaughs definitely taking a risk if kaepernick fails. Smith was playing well and the team has been successful and harbaughs looking towards the future. I didnt see a need for a change at the moment. But harbaugh knows better than me. Hes progressive.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 PM
Hall of Famer

It's a risk but Harbaugh put his big boy pants on and took it. He saw what he could get out of Alex Smith and apparently thinks he can get more out of Colin.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
It's a risk but Harbaugh put his big boy pants on and took it. He saw what he could get out of Alex Smith and apparently thinks he can get more out of Colin.
yes, thanks for being more succinct than me.

-Mario Lopez
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt-thistle View Post
"You don't lose your job to injury" is a nice saying that the TV folk like to throw around, but seems to be less of reality in today's NFL. I fully expect an NFL coach to play the player that he thinks gives him the best chance of winning. Though I agree it sends a message to the other players that they are essentially replaceable at any time, which in most cases they are. Not much room for sentiment now-a-days.
ask drew bledsoe about that one
Old 12-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Draft This Man

It was a good move. CK may be inexperienced, but he works for them and will be able to do things Smith won't. It is a calculated risk, but CK is the future, not Smith.

sean of BSX