Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by country boy View Post
We’ve got Ed McGuire ( if he‘s here next year ), that handles our cap space, he’s one of the best if not the best in the NFL. If we let go of Spikes 3M, Clary 4M, Garay 3.5M, Jammer 4M and Plipps 4.4M, we have 18.9M in cap space, with the two Mil. We had on Nov. 1 this gives us 20.9 cape space. I don’t want to wind up with players that replace them having sub par talent, compared to what we have now. There is a lot of water that has to flow under the bridge before the season starts next year.
Clary is under contract. If we release him we aren't saving 4 million. His cap hit is 5.7 mil, but with accelerating his bonus monies if we cut him it will cost us 3.4 mil on the cap this year. It also remains to be seen who else we release under contract and what dead money that creates as well. I could see bringing back Jammer and Phillips at lower deals than they're working on right now as well, which would give us a savings. Phillips could be our "situational pass rusher," at a reduced contract, which I think he'd have a chance of thriving in a part-time role like that. It all depends on the dollars though. He's got more sacks than anyone else on the team, so if we let him walk we better have a plan B right now.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Resign Barnes instead and draft a pass rusher. Phillips is in decline and Barnes has been more effective in his opportunities.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Is Nmadi really just a by-stander in the Eagles blow-up extravaganza, or has he lost it in the last two years? Dunta would be a great addition if they could make it happen.
Nnamdi has lost a step, but he still can be a top tier starting CB. He is a press corner, and the Eagles haven't utilized his strengths IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game3524 View Post
Nnamdi has lost a step, but he still can be a top tier starting CB. He is a press corner, and the Eagles haven't utilized his strengths IMO.
That was true initially, but he didn't improve much even once they moved to playing a lot more man coverage for him. Which they did.

I still think some GM/HC is going to think they can fix him and get good seasons out of him. And maybe they're right. I don't want him here, but I'm glad he'll be one more corner flooding the market.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Clary is under contract. If we release him we aren't saving 4 million. His cap hit is 5.7 mil, but with accelerating his bonus monies if we cut him it will cost us 3.4 mil on the cap this year. It also remains to be seen who else we release under contract and what dead money that creates as well. I could see bringing back Jammer and Phillips at lower deals than they're working on right now as well, which would give us a savings. Phillips could be our "situational pass rusher," at a reduced contract, which I think he'd have a chance of thriving in a part-time role like that. It all depends on the dollars though. He's got more sacks than anyone else on the team, so if we let him walk we better have a plan B right now.
Not that I'm doubting you, but how do you know how much of Clary's signing bonus is yet to be paid?

Old 12-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Resign Barnes instead and draft a pass rusher. Phillips is in decline and Barnes has been more effective in his opportunities.
I'm not so certain that Barnes is more effective. Take away all the other plays Phillips is in for and just insert him on passing downs and I think he could out perform Barnes. Barnes had one good year as a pass rusher for us two years ago. The only year in his entire career that he's gotten more than 4.5 sacks. Phillips has had 7 years with 7 or more sacks. IMO, if he's not in on runnng downs he'd stay fresh all year for his pass rushing, and be more effective than Barnes. It does come down to dollars, but he's a better natural pass rusher than Barnes, hands down, IMO.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I'm not so certain that Barnes is more effective. Take away all the other plays Phillips is in for and just insert him on passing downs and I think he could out perform Barnes. Barnes had one good year as a pass rusher for us two years ago. The only year in his entire career that he's gotten more than 4.5 sacks. Phillips has had 7 years with 7 or more sacks. IMO, if he's not in on runnng downs he'd stay fresh all year for his pass rushing, and be more effective than Barnes. It does come down to dollars, but he's a better natural pass rusher than Barnes, hands down, IMO.
Barnes was actually our most efficient pass rusher for two years (2010 and 2011). He was less effective for the first half of this season, but has turned it on lately. More importantly, he could probably be had for half as much. If all we're looking for is a rotational pass rusher, better not to spend a big chunk of limited resources.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
That was true initially, but he didn't improve much even once they moved to playing a lot more man coverage for him. Which they did.

I still think some GM/HC is going to think they can fix him and get good seasons out of him. And maybe they're right. I don't want him here, but I'm glad he'll be one more corner flooding the market.
Fair enough, I haven't watched the Eagles much this year, but it was clearly a problem last year. Anyway, I am not advocating for him, he is 32 years old and that is an age when most corners are usually on the decline or moving to safety.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Barnes was actually our most efficient pass rusher for two years (2010 and 2011). He was less effective for the first half of this season, but has turned it on lately. More importantly, he could probably be had for half as much. If all we're looking for is a rotational pass rusher, better not to spend a big chunk of limited resources.
I still disagree. Phillips was hurt for most of 2010 which affected his effectiveness. I think Barnes took advantage of the attention other teams paid to Phillips too in his one big year. Take 2010 away and he's had 7+ sacks every year since 2005. The last I looked guys who get 7+ sacks every year don't grow on trees. It might cost us more than Barnes to retain him, but in a reduced role it may still be very doable. He'd also be moving back to his old position on passing downs, assuming we come up with a ROLB, and I think he also would be more beneficiary when schooling Ingram in the intricacies of rushing the passer in the NFL. I think he would honestly grasp that kind of mentor role, knowing he's coming to the end of the line, whereas Barnes may not, not to mention he just doesn't have the overall knowledge to pass down that Phillips has. I really think Phillips still has a 7+ sack year or two in him in a reduced role, where I can't say what I'm getting from Barnes, thus you and I are going to disagree here.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I still disagree. Phillips was hurt for most of 2010 which affected his effectiveness. I think Barnes took advantage of the attention other teams paid to Phillips too in his one big year. Take 2010 away and he's had 7+ sacks every year since 2005. The last I looked guys who get 7+ sacks every year don't grow on trees. It might cost us more than Barnes to retain him, but in a reduced role it may still be very doable. He'd also be moving back to his old position on passing downs, assuming we come up with a ROLB, and I think he also would be more beneficiary when schooling Ingram in the intricacies of rushing the passer in the NFL. I think he would honestly grasp that kind of mentor role, knowing he's coming to the end of the line, whereas Barnes may not, not to mention he just doesn't have the overall knowledge to pass down that Phillips has. I really think Phillips still has a 7+ sack year or two in him in a reduced role, where I can't say what I'm getting from Barnes, thus you and I are going to disagree here.
If anyone on this team is cut out for the mentor role, it's JJ. Phillips isn't exactly known for being a high character individual.

But in a perfect world, I keep Shaun. I'm talking about dollars here. If we can keep him for not very much more than it would cost us to keep Barnes then I'm all for it. But if he is going to cost us at or close to his current price tag, I think the prudent thing to do it move on. Length of deal would also be a factor for me.