Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
If anyone on this team is cut out for the mentor role, it's JJ. Phillips isn't exactly known for being a high character individual.

But in a perfect world, I keep Shaun. I'm talking about dollars here. If we can keep him for not very much more than it would cost us to keep Barnes then I'm all for it. But if he is going to cost us at or close to his current price tag, I think the prudent thing to do it move on. Length of deal would also be a factor for me.
I am too. I think he'd get at at least a million more than Barnes, perhaps 1.5, but I'd not go any further than that. And when it comes to teaching Ingram about rushing the QB, I would think Phillips trumps JJ hands down.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I am too. I think he'd get at at least a million more than Barnes, perhaps 1.5, but I'd not go any further than that. And when it comes to teaching Ingram about rushing the QB, I would think Phillips trumps JJ hands down.
Not necessarily. Often times it's the guys with less natural ability who are best at teaching a given skill.

I would take Phillips all day at that price. But I feel like he is going to cost at least 2.5M.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran

I have changed my mind on one thing. If we draft in the top 5, we would want Houston’s 1-2-3 picks and C/G Ben Jones this year and their 2-3 picks in 2014 draft. If I figured this right we will loose 50 value points, not bad figuring Ben Jones ( 104 value points is what they gave for him ) has played in all their games and has been a starter from game 7 to date. One high draft pick will not cure all the needs we have at present.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Hall of Famer

Why would the Texans do that? It's not like they don't have needs (NT, RG, RT, WR).

Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran

To get Star Lotulelei or Johathan Hankins.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Hall of Famer

And ignore their other needs for the next two years?

Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran

They don't have many needs with the way they sit now. They are going for a SB win this year and will be in the mix next. So an impact NT type player may be exactly what they need to seal the deal to go deep in the play off's. Wade loves top line NT's.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Not true actually. Their center is in his mid thirties, their right guard (the one you want) has been terrible, their right tackle is one of the worst in the game, they have no wide receivers outside of an aging Andre Johnson, Cushing is their only good inside linebacker, and their free safety is about to become a free agent.

Those issues are all manageable as long as they don't use five of their six picks in the top three rounds over the next two years on one player.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran

Their C is Myers is 31 his backup White is 24. They got 178 yds. on the ground yesterday with a lot of those run's were to Jones side. With a super good NT on the field with J.J. Watt would make opponent cringe. Wade Phillips would have a blast with a NT the caliber of JWall in his prime. If 31 is to old for a WR go tell Charley Joiner. For their FS is not a FA yet. they still have Dobbins and Cushing will be coming back. They are in a lot better shape to use FA to fill their needs than we are. Their record speaks for it self.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Hahaha, ok. Better go tell the Texans organization that they're good everywhere but NT so go ahead and sell the farm.