Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 05:36 PM
All-Pro

Anyone know how much money we will be able to work with this offseason? I know it won't be final until the free agency period starts, but an approximation so we can see who we have a chance at signing?
Old 12-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Hall of Famer

I know I will be ridiculed for this suggestion, but Asomugha will probably be available from Philly after this year, and even though he hasn't played well, maybe he wasn't being used correctly? He is guaranteed $4 million on next year's contract. If the Iggles trade him, do they have to pay the guaranteed money?

RIP Junior

Last edited by LKincheloe; 12-12-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 06:43 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKincheloe View Post
I know I will be ridiculed for this suggestion, but Asomugha will probably be available from Philly after this year, and even though he hasn't played well, maybe he wasn't being used correctly? He is guaranteed $4 million on next year's contract. If the Iggles trade him, do they have to pay the guaranteed money?
To answer your question, the only thing that the Eagles will have to pay Nnamdi is they trade him is the portions of his signing bonus not already paid. But no one will trade for him because 1) he's been pretty bad and the Eagles are going to cut him- everyone knows it, and 2) trading for him would mean taking on his current contract and paying him 15M for 2013.

Some coach may be able to figure out a way to use him better and make him more effective. But unless we completely change the way we play defense, it won't be us.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
To answer your question, the only thing that the Eagles will have to pay Nnamdi is they trade him is the portions of his signing bonus not already paid. But no one will trade for him because 1) he's been pretty bad and the Eagles are going to cut him- everyone knows it, and 2) trading for him would mean taking on his current contract and paying him 15M for 2013.

Some coach may be able to figure out a way to use him better and make him more effective. But unless we completely change the way we play defense, it won't be us.
Actually, they've already paid him that. It's a "signing bonus," and is normally paid at the contract signing. It's not a workout bonus, roster bonus, pro bowl bonus, or any other kind of bonus that can be paid out over the term of the contract and add to its value. Only in special cases is a signing bonus not paid out at the signing, such as if it's so large it would be financially more advisable for the player to take it in chunks for tax purposes or whatever. Sometimes a player's character past plays a part in this as well, but normally the signing bonus is paid up front. I'd also say that any player whose left their signing bonus to be paid in increments that go past this year will rue the day they agreed to that deal if the new tax on incomes over a quarter million goes into effect, as is likely the case.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Actually, they've already paid him that. It's a "signing bonus," and is normally paid at the contract signing. It's not a workout bonus, roster bonus, pro bowl bonus, or any other kind of bonus that can be paid out over the term of the contract and add to its value. Only in special cases is a signing bonus not paid out at the signing, such as if it's so large it would be financially more advisable for the player to take it in chunks for tax purposes or whatever. Sometimes a player's character past plays a part in this as well, but normally the signing bonus is paid up front. I'd also say that any player whose left their signing bonus to be paid in increments that go past this year will rue the day they agreed to that deal if the new tax on incomes over a quarter million goes into effect, as is likely the case.
Yeah I just didn't know if any portions of Nnamdi's signing bonus was amortized. But how do you figure out how much of a signing bonus has been paid and how much has yet to be paid? Like with Clary, you seemed to know exactly how much he would cost us against the cap in 2013.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Anthony Spencer is a good player. I like the idea of a Munnerlyn who can do returns. Cribbs would be huge too because our return game has been poor lately.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-jaxdabeast View Post
Sign Tebow ASAP!!!!! On a serious note, did you not put any oline because there are no good ones that are FAs this year? Because that is probably out biggest need, and I was hoping we could address one of the oline positions in FA.

i would only sign him if he plays MLB lol
b/c no florida qb has ever won a superbowl :P

1st Marcus Mariota QB
2nd ANDRUS PEAT LT
3rd Charlie Tua'ua NT
4th Connor Hamlett TE
5th SHAWN OAKMAN DE
Old 12-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargertom View Post
Here's a list of 33 players who could be on the street in 2013.

Fill your plate up! Have seconds, there's plenty!

Jason Jones - DE - Seattle
Kevin Kolb - QB - Arizona
Steven Jackson - RB - St. Louis
Brandon Jacobs - RB - San Francisco
LeGarrette Blount - RB - Tampa Bay
Will Smith - DE - New Orleans
Captain Munnerlyn - CB/PR - Carolina
Michael Turner - RB - Atlanta
Brian Urlacher - MLB - Chicago
Cliff Avril - DE - Detroit
Michael Jenkins - WR - Minnesota
Gregg Jennings - WR - Green Bay
Santana Moss - WR - Washington
Michael Vick - QB - Philadelphia
Anthony Spencer - OLB - Dallas
Kenny Phillips - SS - New York Giants
Terrance Knighton - DT - Jacksonville
Kevin Walter - WR - Houston
Dwight Freeney - OLB - Indianapolis
Matt Hasselbeck - QB - Tennessee
Dwayne Bowe - WR - Kansas City
Quentin Jammer - CB - San Diego
Richard Seymour - DT - Oakland
Knowshon Moreno - RB - Denver
Ed Reed - FS - Baltimore
Casey Hampton - NT - Pittsburgh
Josh Cribbs - WR/KR - Cleveland
Michael Johnson - DE - Cincinnati
Tim Tebow - QB - New York Jets
Reggie Bush - RB - Miami
Tarvaris Jackson - QB - Buffalo
Wes Welker - WR - New England

I would take any of these players

1st Marcus Mariota QB
2nd ANDRUS PEAT LT
3rd Charlie Tua'ua NT
4th Connor Hamlett TE
5th SHAWN OAKMAN DE
Old 12-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Army Charger

I don't think it'd be smart to let Jammer go in our current situation. We need to strengthen our CB core first.

That being said, there are only two other positions/players on this list that I'd like to see playing here next year.

Kenny Phillips for obvious reasons. Our SS position has been weak lately and we've had to pick up older, health concerning, one-year vets. We need a mainstay at that spot (I'm liking what I've seen from Lynch thusfar, however).

And at the RB position, I'd like to see Steven Jackson. I doubt he'll actually be leaving considering StL is on the uprise and he's been their biggest hope for how long now? My next choice would be Reggie Bush because time and time again he has proven to be a really good back. If we built up our O-Line I think he'd excel behind McClain's blocks. Lastly, I'd have to say LeGarrette Blount because he's still young and has a chance to prove himself, plus I honestly think he's a beast but not what the Bucs need, Martin fits better there.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Yeah I just didn't know if any portions of Nnamdi's signing bonus was amortized. But how do you figure out how much of a signing bonus has been paid and how much has yet to be paid? Like with Clary, you seemed to know exactly how much he would cost us against the cap in 2013.
The way it's normally done is the signing bonus is paid right up front, and then amortized through the length of the contract. Say it's a 5 year deal with a 10 million bonus. For cap purposes, each year a team will take a 2 million dollar cap hit though the length of the contract instead of the whole amount the year the contract is signed and the bonus paid. If you trade or cut the player, say after two years, that leaves 6 million yet to be accounted for in the cap, thus it gets accelerated to the year you cut him. There is a provision to carry parts of this accelerated bonus money over to the next year that a team can use on up to two players each year, but as yet I haven't figured out how to figure that out yet