Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 02:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I think Warmack and DeCastro are pretty tight and it would come down to what you want your guards to do well. DeCastro pulls and blocks on the move unlike anyone I've ever seen coming out of college. Warmack is superior as a senior at the POA driving blocking.
I think that Decastro isn't that far behind Warmack at drive blocking, and superior at everything else. Decastro will always be the superior prospect coming out.

I would love to have Warmack, no doubt. It's hard for me when we could have had Decastro last year, to ask for Warmack this year.
2. Marcus Smith _-34OLB-_ Louisville
Jon Halapio _-OG-_ Florida
4. Marcus Martin _-C-_ USC
5. Josh Huff _-WR-_ Oregon
6. Deandre Coleman _-34DE-_ Cal

7. Jemea Thomas _-CB-_ GT
Old 12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

It's splitting hairs, but I think I see a little bit more of a divide between Warmack and DeCastro's power as drive blockers, which can make a big difference in a specific scheme. But I agree that DeCastro is the overall better prospect coming out. But that doesn't necessarily mean Warmack will go later. This class is weaker overall and we've seen lesser guard prospects go higher (who was that geriatiric guard from Baylor that the Eagles drafted?).
Old 12-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
It's splitting hairs, but I think I see a little bit more of a divide between Warmack and DeCastro's power as drive blockers, which can make a big difference in a specific scheme. But I agree that DeCastro is the overall better prospect coming out. But that doesn't necessarily mean Warmack will go later. This class is weaker overall and we've seen lesser guard prospects go higher (who was that geriatiric guard from Baylor that the Eagles drafted?).
One thing that isn't splitting hairs...and for everyone who wanted us to take DeCastro last year...is that this supposedly "can't miss," "day 1 starter," is playing second team on a team that needs OL help itself.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
One thing that isn't splitting hairs...and for everyone who wanted us to take DeCastro last year...is that this supposedly "can't miss," "day 1 starter," is playing second team on a team that needs OL help itself.
He just got activated coming off a serious knee injury. I'd expect him to start next year.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI Bolt View Post
He just got activated coming off a serious knee injury. I'd expect him to start next year.
Yeah, coming off the knee injury, one can't really judge.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Truth. And if we drafted Lewan high and he turned into Clady, I wouldn't be thrilled but I also wouldn't consider it a bust. The pass protection Clady affords is more than enough for Rivers to be effective, as we've seen in the past with an inconsistent McNeill.
Clady has been pretty great with Peyton this year.

sean of BSX
Old 12-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
It's splitting hairs, but I think I see a little bit more of a divide between Warmack and DeCastro's power as drive blockers, which can make a big difference in a specific scheme. But I agree that DeCastro is the overall better prospect coming out.
We agree there for the most part
Quote:
But that doesn't necessarily mean Warmack will go later.
True.
Quote:
This class is weaker overall and we've seen lesser guard prospects go higher (who was that geriatiric guard from Baylor that the Eagles drafted?).
Had to look him up, only remembered that his last name was Watkins and that he came into the league when he was 26 years old. He went 23rd overall, I think Decastro went 25th last year. Maurkice Pouncey went 15th.
2. Marcus Smith _-34OLB-_ Louisville
Jon Halapio _-OG-_ Florida
4. Marcus Martin _-C-_ USC
5. Josh Huff _-WR-_ Oregon
6. Deandre Coleman _-34DE-_ Cal

7. Jemea Thomas _-CB-_ GT
Old 12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Veteran

So Im not good with players as I am still learning the whole college level aspect of football but as far as position goes this is what I think we should do:
Round 1: OT
Round 2: OT or CB
Round 3: CB or OT (which ever position we dont fill in round 2 should be filled here)
Round 4: OG
Round 5: LB
Round 6: ?
Round 7: ?

Could use some advice on who would be the best available in each round though.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryGuy View Post
So Im not good with players as I am still learning the whole college level aspect of football but as far as position goes this is what I think we should do:
Round 1: OT
Round 2: OT or CB
Round 3: CB or OT (which ever position we dont fill in round 2 should be filled here)
Round 4: OG
Round 5: LB
Round 6: ?
Round 7: ?

Could use some advice on who would be the best available in each round though.
The top OT in the whole class is Luke Joeckel (Texas AM), but we probably won't pick high enough for him. After that, Taylor Lewan (Michigan) and Eric Fisher (Central Michigan) are the two solid first round prospects.

The best 2nd round OT in my opinion in Oday Aboushi (Virginia). Lane Johnson (Oklahoma) has been getting a lot of love lately but I can't claim to have watched him specifically. D.J. Fluker (Alabama) might also be an option. The two 2nd round cornerbacks I like are Jordan Poyer (Oregon State) and Desmond Trufant (Washington).

In the 3rd round, I really don't know what direction to go for an OT unless someone falls unexpectedly. Kyle Long (Oregon) is getting some hype, but SDF61 would probably know more about that. Perhaps Brennan Williams (North Carolina) as he has dropped due to injury. My favorite 3rd round cornerback option is Logan Ryan (Rutgers) by a wide margin.

There aren't many mid round guards I like. Braxton Cave (Notre Dame) could be a 4th round option, but he's a center. Maybe Gabe Jackson (Mississippi State) or Alvin Bailey (Arkansas) if they're there.

As for 5th round linebackers, Kiko Alonso (Oregon) and Kevin Reddick (North Carolina) are good ILB prospects if they last that long. As I think of OLB prospects that could possibly last that long, Michael Buchanan (Illinois) stands out.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 AM
Hall of Famer

I always thought kevin zeitler was a better prospect than decastro coming out of college playing almost as dominant against better competition. Looked average tonight though from the few snaps I saw.
lets not get cute, yes on warmack in the first.