Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Hall of Famer

A business attempting to sell undesirable product at a discount or through alternative marketing strategies happens every day. From my perspective, the oddity is the reaction to it. I.e. "WOW_JUST_WOW"

Like it's some sort of major surprise at this point that the team's not very good? And that people don't really want to spend the money watching it? I'm not surprised. I think most of the posters on this board understand the Chargers haven't played well this year, and are 5-8 with virtually no hope of post season play (in spite of Moe Kid's SB prediction).

I think most of the posters on this board understand that even in boom "product" times, ticket sales are still a challenge in SD market. I.e. needing an extension to sell out the Titans playoff game a while back (say what?!?)

Aren't the Padres doing like buy one get one free next year or something? WOW_JUST_WOW
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Gee, how predictable, another poster who doesn't comprehend the TITLE of the thread and connect it to what I'm trying to get across.

How is it that Moe, Chop, and SJ all get it and the rest of you try and make me look like an ass for stating the obvious. Once again, READ THE TITLE of the thread and maybe the thread will make a little more sense.

WOW_JUST_WOW
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
exactly Perry that is why I entitled this thread "this is how you know your franchises in a mess"

so many people on here are so damn quick to defend anything they perceive as negative that the completely forget the title of the thread. now you tell me, is it a good indication that your franchises in a mess when they have to use Groupon to sell tickets? if you do agree then my thread is spot on!
I don't think anyone is really arguing the bolded. I think it was more the way you posted it that may have confused people.

I think by singling out Groupon you may have confused people. I think you could just look at the fact that 3 (4 really) out of the last 5 games haven't sold out and have people saying "Right On!".

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryao View Post
I don't think anyone is really arguing the bolded. I think it was more the way you posted it that may have confused people.

I think by singling out Groupon you may have confused people. I think you could just look at the fact that 3 (4 really) out of the last 5 games haven't sold out and have people saying "Right On!".
How can the title of the thread be "This is when you know your franchise is in a mess" confuse anyone? How can me arguing that Groupon is a good indication that your franchise is a mess be confusing?

I love how we rip the Jets with a thread entitled "The Jets are a hot mess" yet defend what we got going on in SD? And before you say "I don't think one person is defending it" read all the posts applauding Deano for doing such a great job selling tickets.

LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I proposed something?
Yep, you did when you wrote this...
"If that equation worked then Spanos should drastically discount every ticket."

Quote:
I thought I made the point very clear, this is a move that does not get made unless it has to. By any other name desperation.
Although many might not use the word "desperation" I think 100% of the people here agree that this move doesn't get made unless they "had to".

Quote:
Does it bring in more revenue? Perhaps. Is Spanos happy about it? No.
Who said Spanos was happy about it? I don't think anyone here has said Spanos is happy to be using Groupon or offering free food vouchers. He's just trying to get the best out of a bad situation.

Quote:
Reports are that 11K tickets still remain, a few day ago it was 13K. Of course we have no idea if those were Groupon or traditional sales. Remember people are still playing full price. Why wouldn't they just go to Ticketmaster? Oh that's right free food, courtesy of Groupon.
Wherever those tickets were bought it's better than the alternative. Remember, unsold, empty seats = zero revenue. Revenue earned on ticket sales through Groupon is better than zero revenue.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Spanos is happy about it.
EDIT: And I agree that the Chargers sucked this year...so far. But I'm excited for next year!

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it." Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by perryao; 12-13-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM

perry, I think you should read every reply in here before you start throwing 100% of the people
Old 12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
perry, I think you should read every reply in here before you start throwing 100% of the people
You're probably right about that. Let's just say the 99% then.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
You're probably right about that. Let's just say the 99% then.
Like I said, read the thread

I think you will find it's more like 50%
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
How can the title of the thread be "This is when you know your franchise is in a mess" confuse anyone? How can me arguing that Groupon is a good indication that your franchise is a mess be confusing?

I love how we rip the Jets with a thread entitled "The Jets are a hot mess" yet defend what we got going on in SD? And before you say "I don't think one person is defending it" read all the posts applauding Deano for doing such a great job selling tickets.

LOL
Most are defending the effort to sell tickets. Most agree that the Chargers have been a mess this year. I certainly do.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yep, you did when you wrote this...
"If that equation worked then Spanos should drastically discount every ticket."

Although many might not use the word "desperation" I think 100% of the people here agree that this move doesn't get made unless they "had to".

Who said Spanos was happy about it? I don't think anyone here has said Spanos is happy to be using Groupon or offering free food vouchers. He's just trying to get the best out of a bad situation.

Wherever those tickets were bought it's better than the alternative. Remember, unsold, empty seats = zero revenue. Revenue earned on ticket sales through Groupon is better than zero revenue.

Disclaimer: I'm not saying Spanos is happy about it.
"IF" is not a proposal. Did you ever think that perhaps there was a little sarcasm in the post?

We don't know how many tickets if any were bought through Groupon. Tickets bought through other outlets > revenue than those bought through Groupon. For the NFL Groupon is a desperate move.