Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 AM
Fan since '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Give LA and Utah a brand new team, and the Canadians.
I don't think Utah would $upport an NFL team. It's definitely a college market.

Last edited by crixus; 12-14-2012 at 12:31 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Fan since '69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
Id be fine with LA, San Antonio and maybe Toronto.
San Antonio and Toronto are probably safe bets. But LA is so fickle when it comes to the NFL. They're all talk, but they don't show up. That's why they lost both the Rams and Raiders in less than a year.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
It's actually a brillant move on the part of Goodell or whoever came up with it. They got stiff resistance from the players union when they wanted to add 2 more regular season games. This move although not a substitute for that is a way to increase revenue.

It's worked well for the NHL.

Next move will be participation trophies and Bowl games for the losers.
I don't know how you can say it has worked for the NHL. How many of those NHL franchises are actually profitable? They also aren't playing hockey right now, so I don't think they are doing well at all.

I also don't know how this can be considered a brilliant move by the NFL. One of the big concerns is concussions, and yet at the same time there seems to be a push for a longer regular season or an expansion of playoffs.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crixus View Post
It's all about greed. Just like college football teams going to bowl games with .500 records. It used to be playoffs and bowl games were rewards for winning seasons. The glory days of .
They are in the business of making money, how exactly is that greedy? Are you telling me that all of those concession people aren't going to benefit from working expanded playoff games? How about security? Don't you think that they would benefit from working expanded playoff games?

For as far back as I can remember, there have been a lot of college bowl games. I like the bowl games. I do prefer them by their original names without the corporate sponsor stuff.

There are always going to be some college teams that will never measure up to the big names. I don't think it is big deal for some of those teams to end up in some of the lesser known bowl games.

However, I am really annoyed that Northern Illinois ends up in the Orange Bowl. It is absolutely ridiculous that Northern Illinois will face FSU. That is a horrible idiotic matchup. They should have the Aggies in the Orange Bowl, or any other number of teams to face FSU.

The problem with college football is the desire to crown a team number one. I think it is ridiculous. More often then not, I don't think the team that is declared number one after the season is over is the best team in college football. There are far too many cupcake opponents for a lot of the big name teams during the regular season which pads the schedule.

Last edited by muffindonut72; 12-14-2012 at 03:05 AM..
Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Hall of Famer

I have been saying for years that ONE more team needs to make it in.

There should only be ONE first round bye and the other 6 teams face each other to go on to the next round.

This would add one more game to the playoffs in each conference and two teams don't deserve a bye, only one team should be awarded with that.

Raiders 12/04/05 W 34-10 - @ Bengals 11/12/06 W 49-41 - @ Bills 12/03/06 W 24-21
@ Saints 10/26/08 L 32-37 - @ Steelers 11/16/08 L 10-11 - @ Steelers 01/11/09 L 24-35
Broncos 10/19/09 L 34-23 - @ Browns 12/06/09 W 30-23 - @ Bears 11/20/11 L 20-31
@ Browns 10/28/12 L 6-7 - @ Steelers 12/09/12 W 34-24 - @ Dolphins 11/17/13 L 20-16
@ Bills 09/21/14 W 22-10 - Rams 11/23/14
Old 12-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Hall of Famer

gregg rosenthal ‏@greggrosenthal
When I watch the Bengals, I don't think:"Let's squeeze more borderline teams into the playoffs!"

I agree lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:56 AM

I hope they don't water down the playoffs.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
I would only be fine with it if they had a team expansion.
No more expansion. The talent in the league is already watered down as it is. You go adding more teams then the talent will be even more watered down.

This is a horrible decision IMO. Adding more teams to the PO means the regular season becomes that much more pointless. I guess the powers at be want to see 7-9 teams make the PO on a yearly basis. Why not, the NCAA like 5-7 teams playing in "The Grass is Greener on the Other Side" bowl games
Old 12-14-2012, 11:18 AM
I hate my Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Give LA and Utah a brand new team, and the Canadians.
I'd love an NFC Utah team.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
I don't know how you can say it has worked for the NHL. How many of those NHL franchises are actually profitable? They also aren't playing hockey right now, so I don't think they are doing well at all.

I also don't know how this can be considered a brilliant move by the NFL. One of the big concerns is concussions, and yet at the same time there seems to be a push for a longer regular season or an expansion of playoffs.
The vast majority of NHL teams are profitable. The NHL are idiots for allowing this strike to occur, they didn't learn their lesson from last time. But that's a different subject matter. As a function of making money their PO system has worked very well.

Now as football fans myself included, don't like the expansion of the PO because it waters things down. But the NFL is a business and they don't always look at things the way we do, (hello blackout rules).

Concussion is again a different topic. There are only two ways to eliminate concusions. Change the game or innovate the equipment. Football is a violent game that doesn't change in the PO or regular season.
Goodell wants to eliminate Kickoffs, that's changing the game.

Now the NFL players union will fight the addition of regular season games, but I seriously doubt they would oppose the expansion of the PO. That's why it's a brillant idea.

The ultimate solution for the NFL if they cannot add regular season games and get a lot of push back from the fan base is to expand revenues outside of the USA. They are already attempting this with Europe league, which failed. London game and now they will add a game in Mexico. Going global makes sense but it won't be easy.