Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Actually, to take it a step further, Rivers' best years came when he didn't have much of a running game. He was pretty good in 2006 with LT was a monster, was mediocre in 2007 when LT was still very good, but his best years were 2008-2010 when LT was either ineffective or gone.
Fair enough, maybe my memory served me wrong with the LT pounding the rock comment.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
Fair enough, maybe my memory served me wrong with the LT pounding the rock comment.
Well I don't want you to mistake my meaning. I'm really not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that Rivers has been very good with decent protection, even if he doesn't have a running game to compliment him. So with protection and a running game, I think there's reason to believe he can still be an upper echelon QB.

I was just trying to further support the point that you and 909 were agreeing upon.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Well I don't want you to mistake my meaning. I'm really not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying that Rivers has been very good with decent protection, even if he doesn't have a running game to compliment him. So with protection and a running game, I think there's reason to believe he can still be an upper echelon QB.

I was just trying to further support the point that you and 909 were agreeing upon.
I see what you're saying. I just think offensive line is the biggest weakness and needs to be addressed early. Only way I think the Chargers could justify not going OL in the first is if Te'o was there (even still might not be justifiable). The Chargers need a big splash OL signing in FA and an OL drafted in the first round if not Te'o. I know they will possible flirt with drafting a CB like Milliner in the first but they just can't afford to at this point.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
I see what you're saying. I just think offensive line is the biggest weakness and needs to be addressed early. Only way I think the Chargers could justify not going OL in the first is if Te'o was there (even still might not be justifiable). The Chargers need a big splash OL signing in FA and an OL drafted in the first round if not Te'o. I know they will possible flirt with drafting a CB like Milliner in the first but they just can't afford to at this point.
OL definitely needs to top the list of needs, but they shouldn't marry themselves to one position either. Joeckel ought to top their big board, and Lewan/Fisher/Warmack definitely need to be in the mix. But if they passed on Werner or Lotulelei for a 2nd tier offensive lineman (Matthews or Warmack) just to take a lineman, I would be royally pissed. You just don't do that. Secure a viable backup OT on the market and free yourself up to take the best player at a position of need. Honing in on one position and taking whoever was there when we picked landed us Larry English and Buster Davis. Not a good strategy.

I'm not huge on Te'o. I think he's a little overrated and probably best off in a 4-3.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:

Indeed, indeed. Rivers has been fantastic this year when not under pressure. Hell, did he break the franchise/maybe NFL? pass efficiency record over 20 passes in a single game? You can tell he's worked on the issues he said he wanted to work on in the offseason, he just doesn't have the tools around him right now.

I STILL BELIEVE
Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM
He's Alive, Jim.

If they can pick up an OL guy in FA, they'll really help their cause out.

Here's to the Bills being stupid with Levitre
Old 12-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
If they can pick up an OL guy in FA, they'll really help their cause out.

Here's to the Bills being stupid with Levitre
I would love Levitre.

A cheaper option would be Slauson with the Jets. Underrated and getting better; they've tried to get Ducasse to win the LG spot anyway they know how and it hasn't worked. Not an amazing player, but better than anyone we have at LG. He would probably be an affordable option to provide competition with Troutman for the job.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Diplomacy

Finally got to see him play in the Cotton Bowl. Holy smokes! Have been watching FB for a long while and I've never seen anyone play like that. Running (unreal combo pf quickness, speed and peripheral awareness), passing, field awareness, confidence, energy level .... the guy already looks like Brees on steroids and a can't miss prospect.

I wonder how long he'll stick around college ball - my guess is that he'll pick up a nice insurance policy and finish through his junior year.

I'm not a Rivers basher - I think he can be righted with a new coaching staff, different schemes, some personnel tweaks, a year away from this year.

But when Manziel becomes available it sure would be nice to have a shot at him though it'll be very unlikely (I almost hope).

Old 01-05-2013, 06:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazork View Post
Finally got to see him play in the Cotton Bowl. Holy smokes! Have been watching FB for a long while and I've never seen anyone play like that. Running (unreal combo pf quickness, speed and peripheral awareness), passing, field awareness, confidence, energy level .... the guy already looks like Brees on steroids and a can't miss prospect.

I wonder how long he'll stick around college ball - my guess is that he'll pick up a nice insurance policy and finish through his junior year.

I'm not a Rivers basher - I think he can be righted with a new coaching staff, different schemes, some personnel tweaks, a year away from this year.

But when Manziel becomes available it sure would be nice to have a shot at him though it'll be very unlikely (I almost hope).
Now you know what I am talking about it. I have been watching him play from the beginning of the season, before ESPN got the warm fuzzies all over him. He has improved greatly since then. He still needs to develop some touch when it comes to throwing the deep pass. He is a guy you love to watch when he is on your favorite team, but he sure as heck is frustrating to watch if your team is playing against him. I would love to see him play for the Chargers.

Maybe the Chargers should have let Norv coach another year or two just so the Chargers would have an opportunity to draft him.

Last edited by muffindonut72; 01-05-2013 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Veteran

Trade Rivers, keep the same OL, let Whitehurst start next year, and #1 pick here we come!
Closed Thread