Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #191  
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 AM
ShockTreatment's Avatar
ShockTreatment ShockTreatment is offline
Shock and Awe
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santee
Posts: 4,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
Then prepare to be shocked. It will happen
Stoked means I would really like the move. It wasn't a typo

I think a good portion of the Chargers recent draft successes is due to Raye taking a more active role in the process. But that is just my speculation.
__________________
Mock 2.0 04-01-2014
1. Jason Verrett - CB - TCU
2. Marcus Smith - 34OLB - Louisville
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM
chargersfan85's Avatar
chargersfan85 chargersfan85 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Marietta
Posts: 3,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
Stoked means I would really like the move. It wasn't a typo

I think a good portion of the Chargers recent draft successes is due to Raye taking a more active role in the process. But that is just my speculation.
Ok apparently I cant read. I thought I saw shocked. Although I should just claim I thought it was a typo haha
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM
SDfootball61's Avatar
SDfootball61 SDfootball61 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
If he handles free agency better than A.J., then he will probably be a marked improvement.
Thats not going to chance, thats an owner/money issue. We're never going to go out and sign those huge name FA's. We've done real well other than a few names on FA's, and your not gonna hit on everyone. Meachem is going to take some time, word is he struggled with the playbook in NO, so that could be happening this year as well, it may take him a little longer to get it. Royal just needs to stay healthy, just one of those things you cant control.

I've actually thought most of our drafts have gone well, its not like we were ever taking guys insanely out of position, English was a later first than we expected, but that wasn't a reach, multiple people had Mouton as a 3rd rounder apparently. The moves that i really couldn't stand for AJ was when he moves up. Even the weddle move killed our next years draft. But Mathews, and Hester trade ups were bad. We traded 2 top 40 picks for Mathews essentially.
__________________
Looking for New Sig: Willing to Not Pay Anybody
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM
ShockTreatment's Avatar
ShockTreatment ShockTreatment is offline
Shock and Awe
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santee
Posts: 4,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Thats not going to chance, thats an owner/money issue. We're never going to go out and sign those huge name FA's. We've done real well other than a few names on FA's, and your not gonna hit on everyone. Meachem is going to take some time, word is he struggled with the playbook in NO, so that could be happening this year as well, it may take him a little longer to get it. Royal just needs to stay healthy, just one of those things you cant control.

I've actually thought most of our drafts have gone well, its not like we were ever taking guys insanely out of position, English was a later first than we expected, but that wasn't a reach, multiple people had Mouton as a 3rd rounder apparently. The moves that i really couldn't stand for AJ was when he moves up. Even the weddle move killed our next years draft. But Mathews, and Hester trade ups were bad. We traded 2 top 40 picks for Mathews essentially.
I really hate when people bring this up and don't understand what exactly was given up for this trade. This has been beat to death, but it's really simple. You need to consider the MARGINAL LOSS to determine what was "given up".

We didn't give up 2 top 40 picks for Mathews. We "gave up" ONE additional top 40 pick (the pick we sent to Miami that we therefore weren't able to use on a player), the other we used to select him. You don't give up a pick if that pick is used on a player you want - it's converted into a resource that benefits your organization. If a pick is not used 1 for 1 on a player, then it is a lost pick, or a pick that does not benefit your ball club in any way. Therefore, a pick you give up.
__________________
Mock 2.0 04-01-2014
1. Jason Verrett - CB - TCU
2. Marcus Smith - 34OLB - Louisville
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson

Last edited by ShockTreatment; 12-15-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 PM
RyanMathews
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Newly signed Guyton expected to start. Says quite a bit about Mouton. Do we need to look at inside linebacker as well?

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2012/de...xpected-start/
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
JammerHammer23's Avatar
JammerHammer23 JammerHammer23 is online now
Draft This Man
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ???
Posts: 24,496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMathews View Post
Newly signed Guyton expected to start. Says quite a bit about Mouton. Do we need to look at inside linebacker as well?

http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2012/de...xpected-start/
Article says Mouton is looked at as a SILB. Spikes' positon.
__________________

sean of BSX
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Kemp17's Avatar
Kemp17 Kemp17 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bitterroot Valley
Posts: 16,382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Thats not going to chance, thats an owner/money issue. We're never going to go out and sign those huge name FA's. We've done real well other than a few names on FA's, and your not gonna hit on everyone. Meachem is going to take some time, word is he struggled with the playbook in NO, so that could be happening this year as well, it may take him a little longer to get it. Royal just needs to stay healthy, just one of those things you cant control.

I've actually thought most of our drafts have gone well, its not like we were ever taking guys insanely out of position, English was a later first than we expected, but that wasn't a reach, multiple people had Mouton as a 3rd rounder apparently. The moves that i really couldn't stand for AJ was when he moves up. Even the weddle move killed our next years draft. But Mathews, and Hester trade ups were bad. We traded 2 top 40 picks for Mathews essentially.
Handling free agency better doesn't mean spending more money more or bringing in more marquee names (which generally doesn't work). It means spending on our own good players at the right times. A.J. has rarely extended the right player at the right time. He's often either done so too soon and had that player flop, waited too long and had to overpay, or waited too long and lost that player to another team.

As I've been saying, we have an allocation problem not a resources problem. So yes it can change and it needs to.
__________________

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 12-16-2012, 03:20 AM
Chargerfreak's Avatar
Chargerfreak Chargerfreak is offline
Power of 51
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Intersection of Vodka and Tonic
Posts: 13,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Thats not going to chance, thats an owner/money issue. We're never going to go out and sign those huge name FA's. We've done real well other than a few names on FA's, and your not gonna hit on everyone. Meachem is going to take some time, word is he struggled with the playbook in NO, so that could be happening this year as well, it may take him a little longer to get it. Royal just needs to stay healthy, just one of those things you cant control.

I've actually thought most of our drafts have gone well, its not like we were ever taking guys insanely out of position, English was a later first than we expected, but that wasn't a reach, multiple people had Mouton as a 3rd rounder apparently. The moves that i really couldn't stand for AJ was when he moves up. Even the weddle move killed our next years draft. But Mathews, and Hester trade ups were bad. We traded 2 top 40 picks for Mathews essentially.
DX walked in off the street, literally off of the freakin' street, and performed. If Meachem can't read, or whatever, isn't that a reason NOT to give him millions and millions ? Bad FA move at this point. There is no arguing or debating that. Yeah we can pretend that he is going to learn Rosetta Stone or something in the offseason, but until then he sucked for millions.

The Royal FA move doesn't get a pass either. He was repeatedly hurt in Denver too. Just because he comes here doesn't mean that AJ is going to lay Spiritual Hands on Royal and he is all healed.
Except in AJ's mind of course.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 AM
frozendisc frozendisc is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Boise
Posts: 3,926
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerfreak View Post
DX walked in off the street, literally off of the freakin' street, and performed. If Meachem can't read, or whatever, isn't that a reason NOT to give him millions and millions ? Bad FA move at this point. There is no arguing or debating that. Yeah we can pretend that he is going to learn Rosetta Stone or something in the offseason, but until then he sucked for millions.

The Royal FA move doesn't get a pass either. He was repeatedly hurt in Denver too. Just because he comes here doesn't mean that AJ is going to lay Spiritual Hands on Royal and he is all healed.
Except in AJ's mind of course.

Hindsight shows both moves to have failed for this season.....and presumably AJ was on the hot seat to make this year a successful year, so one has to question the moves and or decisions that led to the moves.



GO BOLTS !
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Time4aRing's Avatar
Time4aRing Time4aRing is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Delta
Posts: 9,995
Default

1. Kansas City Chiefs - 2-11 (.485 SOS) Didn't matter much
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - 2-11 (.550 SOS) Didn't matter really
3. Oakland Raiders - 3-10 (.497 SOS) Didn't matter much

4. Philadelphia Eagles - 4-9 (.497 SOS) Lost
5. Carolina Panthers - 4-9 (.550 SOS) Winning
6. Tennessee Titans - 4-9 (.550 SOS) Root for the Titans
7. Detroit Lions - 4-9 (.556 SOS) Either DET or ARI wins,
8. Arizona Cardinals - 4-9 (.565 SOS)
we move up one draft spot (SOS)
9. San Diego Chargers - 5-8 (.479 SOS) Losing
10. Cleveland Browns - 5-8 (.485 SOS) Lost
11. Buffalo Bills - 5-8 (.497 SOS) Losing
12. Miami Dolphins - 5-8 (.527 SOS) won

If the Titans win, and Car holds its lead over us, we could move up to 6. Cleveland might also pass us, because SOS is so close. But we would have a weaker SOS than Detroit or Arizona, than Tennessee, and than Carolina.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Time4aRing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:14 PM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.