Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
Who called who what?
Lol, yeah that warning was a head scratcher. Anyway, back to the OP.

No. Rivers needs an oline. If you think the time our oline provides him is enough for a quarterback to throw then I'd like to see you stand behind that oline. As for Alex Smith, if you really think he's better than Rivers then idk what to tell ya. Maybe as a back up, but he's definitely not the answer.

Someone that I really like but don't think we'll go after (not that I think we should) is Kirk Cousins. I wanted him before the trade deadline, but I believe his value is going to sky rocket as the season comes to a close. But lets say Kyle Shanahan becomes our HC, then I'd be all for it.

1. Jason Verrett CB
2. Marcus Smith OLB
3. Martavis Bryant WR
4. Gabe Jackson G
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Who called who what?
Calling the coaching staff, GM, HC, QB names. We can all dissagree with all the decisions that has happened, and criticize that, but not the person.

Back to topic. Would rather draft a QB and have him learn the new system the new coach will bring than bring in Alex.

Last edited by guerro619; 12-17-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 12-17-2012, 08:01 PM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Who called who what?
A poster called Mathews, Norv, the O line and AJ Smith names albeit funny names lol.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
Calling the coaching staff, GM, HC, QB names. We can all dissagree with all the decisions that has happened, and criticize that, but not the person.

Back to topic. Would rather draft a QB and have him learn the new system the new coach will bring than bring in Alex.
Got it. Just wanted the clarification.

I'd rather invest in the line than in a new QB. If that added help allows Rivers to regain form, then fantastic... we have our franchise QB back. If not, then we have a better line in front of whatever rookie we go find in the future.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Hall of Famer

How about a new offensive lines coach? I was watching the Pittsburgh game yesterday that allowed Big Ben to avoid many sacks, their OL NEVER quit. They stood there in the pocket and put a lick on every DL that came in, despite the pocket collapsing, they hung in there and didn't give up until the pass was thrown. When you watch Chargers OL, they quit after getting beat or give a pathetic effort.

As far as Smith is concerned, he can effectively scramble and that's certainly something Rivers CANNOT do. When he slid for a 2 yard gain, he damn near tore his ACL just doing that. What annoys me even more is that he throws the ball literally to the ground. That's just something those elite QB's rarely do.

Look at the game tape again, most of his yards were dump passes to Ronnie Brown or these 10> pass attempts to pad the stats. Really? He's really lost it. No zip on the balls. Everything is a floater. Cannot even hold onto the ball and letting it slip. Tom Brady plays in the snow or in worse conditions and he doesn't even let the ball slip like that.

Not sure of any quality QB's coming out next year, but I think Rivers should be gone or at least cut Whitehurst and bring in Smith to compete for the starting job. I know Charlie isn't any better, but to be fair, how come we didn't see Whitehurst in yesterday after the blowout? Ryan Mathews lost his starting spot due to his performance, why not Rivers? Rivers' time has run out winning a Championship, just like LT. Let's just start over and wipe this slate clean and give Alex Smith the opportunity to compete with Rivers next year. I think Smith (being the hometown boy) will play with a chip on his shoulder and perform well...just like he did last season with the niners. If Williams didn't commit those two costly fumbles, they would've went to the SB.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback619 View Post
How about a new offensive lines coach? I was watching the Pittsburgh game yesterday that allowed Big Ben to avoid many sacks, their OL NEVER quit. They stood there in the pocket and put a lick on every DL that came in, despite the pocket collapsing, they hung in there and didn't give up until the pass was thrown. When you watch Chargers OL, they quit after getting beat or give a pathetic effort.

As far as Smith is concerned, he can effectively scramble and that's certainly something Rivers CANNOT do. When he slid for a 2 yard gain, he damn near tore his ACL just doing that. What annoys me even more is that he throws the ball literally to the ground. That's just something those elite QB's rarely do.

Look at the game tape again, most of his yards were dump passes to Ronnie Brown or these 10> pass attempts to pad the stats. Really? He's really lost it. No zip on the balls. Everything is a floater. Cannot even hold onto the ball and letting it slip. Tom Brady plays in the snow or in worse conditions and he doesn't even let the ball slip like that.

Not sure of any quality QB's coming out next year, but I think Rivers should be gone or at least cut Whitehurst and bring in Smith to compete for the starting job. I know Charlie isn't any better, but to be fair, how come we didn't see Whitehurst in yesterday after the blowout? Ryan Mathews lost his starting spot due to his performance, why not Rivers? Rivers' time has run out winning a Championship, just like LT. Let's just start over and wipe this slate clean and give Alex Smith the opportunity to compete with Rivers next year. I think Smith (being the hometown boy) will play with a chip on his shoulder and perform well...just like he did last season with the niners. If Williams didn't commit those two costly fumbles, they would've went to the SB.
So you think Rivers was trying to pad his stats by dumping it off to our RB's? Hahah.

As to the rest of your post. Well no. We don't need a game manager at QB
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Yeah, that has to be one of the dumbest things I have heard in a long-time.

Rivers is checking it down to try to alleviate the pass-rush. It is smart play-calling by Norv, the problem is it is Ronnie Brown catching those dump offs not Darren Sproles.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:46 AM
In Telesco I trust

Quote:
Got it. Just wanted the clarification.

I'd rather invest in the line than in a new QB. If that added help allows Rivers to regain form, then fantastic... we have our franchise QB back. If not, then we have a better line in front of whatever rookie we go find in the future.
I agree. Putting any QB behind our o-line is straight up a death sentence for them. Lets build up the oline and if that wont work hopefully we will lose our way to the number 1 pick in a few years for another franchise QB
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Hall of Famer

Two reasons why bringing in Alex Smith is both a bad and unrealistic idea:

1. He is not a good quarterback. The best he's done in San Francisco is not lose. He doesn't win his team games. Harbaugh's 49ers have been so stellar in the running game and on defense that all Smith had to do was not mess up and complete a couple passes here and there and they would win. This is why people think he's so good at avoiding turnovers- he can afford to take three coverage sacks a game and throw the ball away like crazy because that's his job. The Chargers don't have that defense or that running game. We need a QB who can contribute a lot more heavily to the winning effort than Smith can. Rivers is that guy when you give him a pocket. Ask Smith to throw the ball as much as we need to, and he's a turnover machine (we've seen that in the past). We're talking about a guy who, pre-Harbaugh, got benched for the likes of Shaun Hill.

2. Alex Smith will be overpursued and overpaid because of how bad this offseason will be for the QB market. There aren't any surefire rookie starters in the draft and there won't be any above average free agents. Smith is going to be at the top of the market, not because he's very good, but for lack of better options. Some team that chooses not to or is unable to find a QB in the first round is going to pay Smith starter's money because that's what he'll do for them. The best Smith would be here is a good backup. So we would have to overpay for his backup services and he wouldn't accept anyways because I'm sure he wants to start.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Hall of Famer

At least Smith has way more athletic mobility and still have zips on the balls, whereas Rivers throws lame ducks and runs like both his shoes are tied together. How the hell are we gonna win games when he can't roll out the pocket? He scrambles and runs for a 1st down maybe 3 times a year. I'm convinced Rivers is in there to collect a paycheck. When he throws those INTs, how can he blame and yell at Norv Turner when he made the stupid throws or fumbles?

Let Smith come in and compete for the starting job. Rivers' job shouldn't be secured. He should be able to lose it as fast as Ryan Mathews did. He used to have it when LT was here. Obviously, those days are over and so is Rivers.