Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcowner View Post
I don't think of the Eagles as a perennial powerhouse but I get your point that every team needs changes/upgrades before each season.

It seems to me that the Chargers need to make upgrades or changes at many positions this year which is different from past years. Some of the Charger players who've helped keep the team "average" the last 2 seasons or longer will be gone at the end of this season. There is no guarantee that their replacements will play as well as their predecessors.

Toss in a major overhaul at the coaching and GM levels as well as a new offensive scheme and I can see why some people think it will take 2-3 years.
I don't know...Harbaugh hit the pavemant running. But maybe he inherited a slightly better situation. But not much as he had to bring Kaeperneck along.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzubeck View Post
Can't we just dump a few non productive over priced players and bring in some talent. Draft 3-4 olinemen and bring in one or two from free agency. problem solved. I really don't see this team as big of a mess as all of you think it is. Phillip Rivers is not Mark sanchez... With a competent supporting cast on offense he definitely responds. Norv has fielded a horrible offensive line. Bleh... with a better trained and better talented oline all the rest of the team will look that much better.
Perhaps. We may need as many as four O line guys. We will not be able to get four starting O line guys through the draft. On the other hand perhaps Gaither returns healthy, Hardwick stays another year, Troutman turns out to be a stud at OG and Clary gets replaced by a high round draft guy.

The flip side is Hardwick retires, Gaither is cut, Troutman doesn't work out and Clary is back at starting RT next year.

That's just the O line.

Then we have the situation at CB. Both Cason and Jammer will be FAs at the end of the year. Do we re-sign either? Can Wright, Gilchrist be the answer?

OLB, both Phillips and Barnes will be FAs at the end of the year. Re-sign or release both?

MLB. Spikes will likely retire. Mouton didn't hardly see the field. The other guys are backup types.

Still have an issue at safety. We have bodies there but none have shined.

Then there is the question of PR. With a new coach we don't yet know how that situation will play out. PR has been out of sorts for a couple years now, will fixing the O line fix PR?

May have to draft a RB and WR as well.

Too many unknowns at this time. Perhaps everything can be fixed by September but something tells me it's going to take longer.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
Perhaps. We may need as many as four O line guys. We will not be able to get four starting O line guys through the draft. On the other hand perhaps Gaither returns healthy, Hardwick stays another year, Troutman turns out to be a stud at OG and Clary gets replaced by a high round draft guy.

The flip side is Hardwick retires, Gaither is cut, Troutman doesn't work out and Clary is back at starting RT next year.

That's just the O line.

Then we have the situation at CB. Both Cason and Jammer will be FAs at the end of the year. Do we re-sign either? Can Wright, Gilchrist be the answer?

OLB, both Phillips and Barnes will be FAs at the end of the year. Re-sign or release both?

MLB. Spikes will likely retire. Mouton didn't hardly see the field. The other guys are backup types.

Still have an issue at safety. We have bodies there but none have shined.

Then there is the question of PR. With a new coach we don't yet know how that situation will play out. PR has been out of sorts for a couple years now, will fixing the O line fix PR?

May have to draft a RB and WR as well.

Too many unknowns at this time. Perhaps everything can be fixed by September but something tells me it's going to take longer.
Yes...it would take longer if you try and build through the draft...There are a couple of players that should be dropped and that will save money. 3-4 decent linemen could be done if the chargers are focussed on repairing this quickly.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 PM
1976 Grey Cup Winners

Quote:
I don't know...Harbaugh hit the pavemant running. But maybe he inherited a slightly better situation. But not much as he had to bring Kaeperneck along.
I don't know enough about the 49ers situation at the time when Singletary was let go.

There are usually so many variables that must go right for a team to win the SB or even make the playoffs. Looks like Harbaugh is the exception because his team has been really good since he took over.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al "T.D." Bundy View Post
Rivers play of the last two years is not light years better than Dilfer.

This isn't 2009. Rivers is an average QB at best right now.
You still see he can be Rivers. He's also clearly cut down on trying to cut down the mistakes, as evidenced by leading the league in throwaways IIRC (que the but he fumbled with no one touching him people). Look at the throw to Floyd yesterday. Not perfect, but pretty vintage looking Rivers. You put even a below average line out there, he would look fine. We also aren't establishing the run this year, mainly because there's nowhere to run. At least establish and stop making Rivers think he has to do everything, and we should be in better shape.

sean of BSX
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by plcowner View Post
I don't know enough about the 49ers situation at the time when Singletary was let go.

There are usually so many variables that must go right for a team to win the SB or even make the playoffs. Looks like Harbaugh is the exception because his team has been really good since he took over.
9ers were a talented team that was undisciplined, undeveloped, etc. Roman utilized a very very safe offense, while Fangio came in and harvested that talent, plus Aldon beasting.

sean of BSX
Old 12-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Yes...it would take longer if you try and build through the draft...There are a couple of players that should be dropped and that will save money. 3-4 decent linemen could be done if the chargers are focussed on repairing this quickly.
I know that this is going to be a shock for people but we don't need to save money. We have some throw away money because of the Deilman, McNeill situation. Still don't know what we'll do with Royal, Gaither. But after that is sorted out we have about $55M in contracts to pay out next year.

But we also have 20 FAs and 3 RFAs. So most of the money situation will depend on who we bring back and who we sign from the FA market. At this time the issue is not money but personnel. Big decisions will have to be made. If we make the wrong ones it can get really costly. The new GM assuming AJ gets canned has a massive job to do.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM
1976 Grey Cup Winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by JammerHammer23 View Post
9ers were a talented team that was undisciplined, undeveloped, etc. Roman utilized a very very safe offense, while Fangio came in and harvested that talent, plus Aldon beasting.
Like Alex Smith, Vernon Davis (was a headcase but has settled down now) and Crabtree.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:13 PM
Moderator of the Trenches

Hire whoever you want, sign whoever you want...do as we please.

We will rise or fall based on #17 imo.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacstud22 View Post
Hire whoever you want, sign whoever you want...do as we please.

We will rise or fall based on #17 imo.
Or how about we keep #17 risen on his feet more often than not...