Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Hall of Famer

W/ a new coaching system likely.The Chargers have to look at that option.Say the Cheifs give you the 1st pic and a 2nd rounder for Rivers.Having 2 high 1st round pics will give you lots of bargianing power.W/ the way the Charger's salary issues are.Trading Rivers for the right deal could make this transition to a winner again much faster.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM
Hall of Famer

There are no Qbs coming out of this draft that I want to take in round 1. So the answer is a big fat NO. Taking a Qb in the 2nd or lower rounds will most likely not result in a franchise Qb. If we trade PR we would essentially be throwing away next year to build for the future. But please no Qbs in the first round.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:56 PM
<<I miss Kamri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va Bolt View Post
W/ a new coaching system likely.The Chargers have to look at that option.Say the Cheifs give you the 1st pic and a 2nd rounder for Rivers.Having 2 high 1st round pics will give you lots of bargianing power.W/ the way the Charger's salary issues are.Trading Rivers for the right deal could make this transition to a winner again much faster.
It could be the sweetest deal ever on record, a guaranteed slam dunk (Jamaal Charles, Eric Berry, Derrick Johnson multiple #1s) , but i would never trade my franchise QB within the division.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM
#1 CT Fan - Polish Power!

I'd take Alex Smith off the 49ers hands......
Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Rookie

The organization has surrounded Philip with average talent at best the last few years.. Bottom line. You let Vincent Jackson go and sign Meachem and Royal? Placing great with average. You replace an injury prone left tackle (Marcus McNeil) with an even more injury prone left tackle (Jared Gaither). Regression. Antonio Gate's age has definitely begun to catch up with him. Regression. I mean, come on guys.. He is surrounded with either average or below average players. Alexander could be great but he still needs time.. The Chargers need to get some talent around Philip and see what they still have in him.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintLB8 View Post
The organization has surrounded Philip with average talent at best the last few years.. Bottom line. You let Vincent Jackson go and sign Meachem and Royal? Placing great with average. You replace an injury prone left tackle (Marcus McNeil) with an even more injury prone left tackle (Jared Gaither). Regression. Antonio Gate's age has definitely begun to catch up with him. Regression. I mean, come on guys.. He is surrounded with either average or below average players. Alexander could be great but he still needs time.. The Chargers need to get some talent around Philip and see what they still have in him.
You forgot to mention no running game either. you're slacking.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
You forgot to mention no running game either. you're slacking.
Haha fair enough. AND NO RUNNING GAME!!! Hahahaha
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM
Realist or Pessimist?

Quote:
Philip Rivers | QBR in 2012: 38.0 | QBR in 2011: 62.7

Key 2012 Stats: Has completed just 31.1 percent of throws of more than 20 yards downfield, with 2 TDs and 4 INTs

The Chargers were Super Bowl contenders in Rivers' first four years as a starter, but have allowed the talent around him to deteriorate over the past couple of seasons. He used to be lethal on short throws, with 50 touchdowns and just eight interceptions on passes of 10 or fewer yards from 2008 to 2010. But since Darren Sproles left for New Orleans, Rivers has just 20 touchdowns and 15 interceptions on short passes.

Rivers
Vincent Jackson's departure has hurt even more, depriving Rivers of any semblance of a long game and forcing him to throw into coverage, and he's tossed 15 picks. And the Chargers' offensive line has grown porous; Pro Football Focus ranks the unit 31st in the league in pass-blocking, and Rivers has been battered for 43 sacks this season.

But Rivers himself bears a good chunk of responsibility for his decline. His numbers on long throws have been sliding for three years now: his completion percentage on attempts of more than 20 yards has slipped from 43.6 percent to 36.2 percent to 31.1 percent since 2010. And he's been taking inordinate risks for a long time.

In 2011, 10 of his 20 interceptions stemmed from bad decisions, according to Joyner, the second-worst total in the league. And this season, seven of his 15 picks have come on bad decisions. You can't blame that on personnel -- especially since San Diego receivers, as unheralded as they may be, have dropped just 3.2 percent of catchable balls, the lowest rate in the NFL. It's more likely that Rivers has been trying to compensate for a declining arm.

Verdict: Rivers will get a chance to keep starting under a new regime, but his best days are probably behind him.
ESPN Insider on Rivers
Old 12-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestigious5150 View Post
ESPN Insider on Rivers
Great find and a lot of it is spot on. Rivers deserves a chance after they add talent around him. He could be another Kurt Warner and revitalize his career after adding weapons. They need to find him another Darren Sporles type of running back.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:11 PM
chargerz1206

Cool Tim Tebow

Call me crazy but one team's trash is another team's treasure. AJ has always jacked us by trading away players (too many to count), who have turned out to excel on other teams. Maybe the Chargers need to take a chance on Tebow. I know folks be hatin on the brotha but he is a GAMER. It's not necessarily about stats, so much as it is about winning and losing. When he was in Denver, he won. His teammates loved him and rallied around him, bringing up their play. He is a fullback in a QB's body and right now is the time to strike because he's unhappy in NYC and Rivers is getting worse, not better. I think we could get him at a good price. Rivers doesn't have any competition so he is not fully vested in fixing his mistakes. Bring in Tebow and actually work with him and play him and that will force Rivers to bring up his play. We also need to draft some corn fed boys from the SEC and the ACC to shore up or even replace our offensive line.