Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 PM
All-Pro

Winning eras:
Tomlinson era
Natrone Means era

maybe we need a stud rb lol

edit: i was watching some 94 highlights and the o line was getting like a 3 yard push off the ball so maybe we need a stud o line in order to have a stud rb lol
Old 12-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
AJ Smith should stay....look how bad we were before he got here. We sucked in the past and now we are average so that is good for Charger fans
John Butler built the franchise RIP. AJ was the pilot fish eating the scraps that fell from the sharks mouth. AJ drafted poorly in general, a few good picks, but mostly busts. And the marquee players he gets rid of, and they go on to playoff teams. Goodnight AJ.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I was 33. I had season tickets for me and my wife. She got cold and insisted on leaving early and we missed the last two TD's that pulled it out. I never forgave her ........... and I never agreed to leave early again. After that, I told her to go get in the car and start the heater and I'll be out after it's over. So now you know why IK recall that specific game.
its funny how sometimes the vivid memories are of what you missed. I never forgave my dad for taking his business partner to the KC game when speedy duncan returned an interception 100+ yards. i listened to it at home on the old stereo console. That really pissed me off.

Simpler time. When somebody was fast, they just called him Speedy!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
its funny how sometimes the vivid memories are of what you missed. I never forgave my dad for taking his business partner to the KC game when speedy duncan returned an interception 100+ yards. i listened to it at home on the old stereo console. That really pissed me off.

Simpler time. When somebody was fast, they just called him Speedy!
I was at that game. The crowd was going crazy during that return - it was LOUD.

Here's the box score: http://www.pro-football-reference.co...6710150sdg.htm

He also had a 35-yard fumble recovery for a TD in the same game!
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 PM
Boo first. Think later.

Nice thread OP -- really appreciate it. Perspective is nice to have.

"I like to turn the offense into a defense. I want them to worry about what we're gonna do. I want them to try to defend us." -Junior Seau

"Where as I was not incorrect, they did not mean what I thought they had meant." -Charlie Sanders

Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Bolted @ Birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeroo View Post
I was 33. I had season tickets for me and my wife. She got cold and insisted on leaving early and we missed the last two TD's that pulled it out. I never forgave her ........... and I never agreed to leave early again. After that, I told her to go get in the car and start the heater and I'll be out after it's over. So now you know why IK recall that specific game.
I see you were in the Marine Corps, as was my Dad. Thank you for your service Chargeroo.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerro619 View Post
For some of those fans, its what have you done for me right now, Roo. They have short term memory.
Do you honestly think it's us fans having short memories? I am 39 years old I've been a fan for 34 years and in that time we have been to one SB in which we got blown out.

It's not about having a short memory it's about being tired of accepting mediocrity. And I hate to sound so blunt but hhen posters like you make posts like this, it's a perfect exams of how some fans have resorted to accepting mediocrity....all because we have a crappy history.

I have said it once I'll say it thousand more times....we are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL.....lovable losers
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
Moderator of the Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltBacker4Life View Post
Do you honestly think it's us fans having short memories? I am 39 years old I've been a fan for 34 years and in that time we have been to one SB in which we got blown out.

It's not about having a short memory it's about being tired of accepting mediocrity. And I hate to sound so blunt but hhen posters like you make posts like this, it's a perfect exams of how some fans have resorted to accepting mediocrity....all because we have a crappy history.

I have said it once I'll say it thousand more times....we are the Chicago Cubs of the NFL.....lovable losers
I'm not saying you. You've been consistent in the forums for a very long time. I like you am tired of the chargers losing. And the team playing mediocre. I admit I was super excited for this season. This has been disappointing to say the least. I look forward to the changes.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Next man up

The Norv Turner era isn't the least successful... but it might just be the most painful that until this season it was "this team is better than this." The 9-7 and 8-8 playoff years together paint a grim picture. Especially in the horrible AFC West we should have been better then that. I know in the NFL you lose games you should win and win some you should lose but that many? When the team sucks and I know it... that is easier to cope with what is suposed to be a contender beating itself... something Norv's teams have been very good at.

Looking forward... as much as we have hated what has happened be it Norv or AJ a lot will depend on who we replace them with. There are plenty of teams that are looking up at the Norv Turner Era Chargers accomplishments because they didn't make the playoffs as many times, or at all (I think there are some teams in this category?), or haven't had drafts even as good as ours...

As primed as this team might be with some luck when you have players as old as we do (Johnson, Jammer, Phillips, Spikes, Hardwick, Gates etc) they will eventually become holes at some point soon. The holes will either slowly be dug with father time's shovel, or the free agency backhoe might drive it’’s machinery into the ground and pull them away leaving a large suddenly dug hole.

Out next GM might make even worse mistakes or might be a superstar... our next head coach might be a HOFer or might be among the very long list of coaches that fail and get fired.

Then there is simple dumb luck... and we have had a lot of bad luck beyond anyone's control in recent seasons.

This era hasn’t been a great one… but the OP is right saying it isn’t the worst either. If someone wants to say anyone is better than AJ/Norv plenty of teams would like to have a word with you. We need a change... hopefully it will be one for the better and not a dreaded time like listed above.

Last edited by Strife9878; 12-20-2012 at 04:35 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Veteran

This is the first losing season i've had to endure. Really hope it doesn't evolve into an era. I don't see why a few fixes here and there wouldn't make us competitive for next year.

Offseason to do list.
Don't promote John Spanos
Hire New GM
Hire New HC
Extend Butler
Extend Alexander
Bring back on 1 year deals: Jammer, Franklin, D.Williams, Tommie Harris.
Hometown discount: Phillips, Cason.
Beat the market: Haslam, Vasquez, V.Martin.