Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
coryell was beloved in san diego. we went to all the sdsu games when he coached there. it was obvious he was something special by the way those teams played offense. by the time he came back to coach the chargers he had already won in the nfl. he was a very popular guy and he brought them out of the dark ages in the 70's and shined a national light on san diego and the chargers. it was a very exciting time for a few years there
"Very exciting" only begins to describe it. It was a religion. The only time this was over-topped was the week before the 1995 Super Bowl, when I understand that there was a gigantic pep rally in Balboa Park.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Moekid View Post
coryell was beloved in san diego. we went to all the sdsu games when he coached there. it was obvious he was something special by the way those teams played offense. by the time he came back to coach the chargers he had already won in the nfl. he was a very popular guy and he brought them out of the dark ages in the 70's and shined a national light on san diego and the chargers. it was a very exciting time for a few years there

I listened to the Aztec games on the radio. My best friend and I would act out the games in our bedrooms, argueing who would be the aztecs that week. So I was happy when I heard Coryell announced as the HC.
The only regret with Coryell was too much O and not enough D.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
I listened to the Aztec games on the radio. My best friend and I would act out the games in our bedrooms, argueing who would be the aztecs that week. So I was happy when I heard Coryell announced as the HC.
The only regret with Coryell was too much O and not enough D.
I know that's what everybody thinks, but it's not quite true. We lost in the PO because of turnovers and poor offensive performance. We actually had serveral Pro Bowlers on that defense. It all went downhill once we got rid of Fred Dean.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebarnin View Post

So, what do you think? Are we in for another losing era, or is 2012 just a bump in the road?
Depends.
I'm thinking we're going to struggle a few years. Our offense is a mess. The defense may keep us around .500 but it's going to be awhile before we get great OL blocking and the consistency it brings or a QB who can shine without it.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger1_sj View Post
I know that's what everybody thinks, but it's not quite true. We lost in the PO because of turnovers and poor offensive performance. We actually had serveral Pro Bowlers on that defense. It all went downhill once we got rid of Fred Dean.
biggest mistake Chargers ever made was letting Dean leave.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Moderator of Delusions

Quote:

The D gave up a lot of points. The Bolts were a points machine on both ends of the spectrum. Most of Coryell's years the D gave up a lot of points. 10 ten or worse top 5 for most years. Or bottom if you look at it from the how we tend to today.
1981 was in my opinion their best year. Ranked # 1in points for and 27th in points against.

Points for Points against - D rank (higher number = worse)
1978 355 309 - 8
1979 411 246 - 24
1980 400 327 - 6
1981 421 390 - 27
1982 288 221 - 5
1983 358 462 - 1
1984 394 413 - 5
1985 467 435 - 4
1986 355 396 - 5
Old 12-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Depends.
I'm thinking we're going to struggle a few years. Our offense is a mess. The defense may keep us around .500 but it's going to be awhile before we get great OL blocking and the consistency it brings or a QB who can shine without it.

If all it takes is a coach for Rivers to change his mind set and stop throwing bad interceptions, we will be back to a winning team again. All it takes is a great quarterback and ok OL. Rivers can do it with a new coach. Watch and see.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
the Bruise Brothers were something else, in 79 didn't we have the fewest points allowed and most sacks in the NFL?

Anytime you trade away a hof player it's going to hurt. I remembered that dean said something about making the same amount as his truck driving brother lol. we lost Jefferson that season to if I remember right the space age wide receiver or something like that.

But the fact remains I think it was 4-5 drafts the chargers didn't get a defensive player in the first 4-5 rounds. Losing Fred Dean sucked doing nothing to make our defense better sucked worse. In 81 82 and 83 not sure if all years are right we gave up the most passing yards in the nfl.

Dan had nothing to do with the defense the front office is what held the chargers back. By not investing

With Byron Jerideau being able to lift 500+ pounds could he Chokeslam two O-line men?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Bolted View Post
The D gave up a lot of points. The Bolts were a points machine on both ends of the spectrum. Most of Coryell's years the D gave up a lot of points. 10 ten or worse top 5 for most years. Or bottom if you look at it from the how we tend to today.
1981 was in my opinion their best year. Ranked # 1in points for and 27th in points against.

Points for Points against - D rank (higher number = worse)
1978 355 309 - 8
1979 411 246 - 24
1980 400 327 - 6
1981 421 390 - 27
1982 288 221 - 5
1983 358 462 - 1
1984 394 413 - 5
1985 467 435 - 4
1986 355 396 - 5
If I'm reading your post correctly there is something wrong with your numbers. In 1979 we statistically had a very good year on D, both for points against and yards. Top five in both catagories. Yet you have D rank as 24th, don't think so.

What I said was that the reason we lost in the POs back then was not due to defense but rather turn overs and offensive lack of production.

FYI
1979 POs against Houston: Lost 17-14, 5 turnovers
1980 POs AFCC against Raiders: Lost 34-27, 3 turnovers
1981 POs AFCC against Bengals: Lost 27-7, 4 turnovers
1982 POs against Miami: Lost 34-13, 7 turnovers

The best chance we had at a SB back then was 1980 against the Raiders.
Fouts threw an early interception and we buried ourselves. The offense then played well but came up short. The D wasnt' impressive and they take a big part of the blame. But otherwise our O has always been mistake prone. I used to cringe every time Muncie would touch the football back then. Great runner but a bit like Mathews when it came to fumbling.

It was great fun watching the Charger offense back then but it could never get over the hump in the big games when it counted, almost always let us down.