Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Quarterback Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM
AFboltfan's Avatar
AFboltfan AFboltfan is offline
#Rivers4MVP
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chula Vista
Posts: 3,831
Default

Trade Meach for Flynn and give PR some competition IMO... He needs a kick in the arse, PR is too comfortable with his franchise salary and no up and comer in the group.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-18-2012, 11:39 AM
muffindonut72 muffindonut72 is offline
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: n/a
Posts: 2,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFboltfan View Post
Trade Meach for Flynn and give PR some competition IMO... He needs a kick in the arse, PR is too comfortable with his franchise salary and no up and comer in the group.
If that is what it takes to motivate Rivers, then why would anyone want to keep him around?

It reminds me way back when the Chargers got Rivers. All of a sudden Brees started playing much better. You can't afford wasting draft picks, especially high draft picks, to motivate current starters. I wonder what the Chargers would have done in that draft if Brees had performed better. Do they still draft Eli, and trade him for picks? Interesting thing to think about.


Meacham would be fine under a different offense and QB. If Rivers was replaced the offense would run much smoother. I would rather keep Meacham and trade Rivers.

If the Jets didn't have so much money tied up in Sanchez, perhaps the Chargers could acquire a lot of picks for him. The Jets haven't exactly been making good player decisions.

If the Chargers were to consider trading Rivers, this is the year to do it. That is especially the case if the QB draft class is considered weak.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
jorgecasasSD's Avatar
jorgecasasSD jorgecasasSD is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: mazatlan
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
If that is what it takes to motivate Rivers, then why would anyone want to keep him around?

It reminds me way back when the Chargers got Rivers. All of a sudden Brees started playing much better. You can't afford wasting draft picks, especially high draft picks, to motivate current starters. I wonder what the Chargers would have done in that draft if Brees had performed better. Do they still draft Eli, and trade him for picks? Interesting thing to think about.


Meacham would be fine under a different offense and QB. If Rivers was replaced the offense would run much smoother. I would rather keep Meacham and trade Rivers.

If the Jets didn't have so much money tied up in Sanchez, perhaps the Chargers could acquire a lot of picks for him. The Jets haven't exactly been making good player decisions.

If the Chargers were to consider trading Rivers, this is the year to do it. That is especially the case if the QB draft class is considered weak.
that is exactly my thinking, this is the perfect year to trade rivers because he still has value and this Qb class is horrible so some team will overpay us with draft picks in a trade for rivers
im tired of not having a mobile QB that can at least avoid some pressure
__________________
trade 1st for a 2nd and a 3rd(QB needy team)
2a SS landon collins
2b RB todd gurley/RB mike davis
3a C reese dismukes or C hroniss grasu
3b NT danny shelton
4 WR dorial green beckham
5 OG tre jackson
6 OT trenton brown
UDFA: TE blake bell
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM
G0ChargersG0 G0ChargersG0 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Grenada
Posts: 1,672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffindonut72 View Post
If that is what it takes to motivate Rivers, then why would anyone want to keep him around?

It reminds me way back when the Chargers got Rivers. All of a sudden Brees started playing much better. You can't afford wasting draft picks, especially high draft picks, to motivate current starters. I wonder what the Chargers would have done in that draft if Brees had performed better. Do they still draft Eli, and trade him for picks? Interesting thing to think about.


Meacham would be fine under a different offense and QB. If Rivers was replaced the offense would run much smoother. I would rather keep Meacham and trade Rivers.

If the Jets didn't have so much money tied up in Sanchez, perhaps the Chargers could acquire a lot of picks for him. The Jets haven't exactly been making good player decisions.

If the Chargers were to consider trading Rivers, this is the year to do it. That is especially the case if the QB draft class is considered weak.
How is trading Meachem for Rivers wasting draft picks?

Also, you would pick Meachem over Rivers? Are you serious? That guy sucks. He can't even crack the starting lineup for SD and had what 4 catches in 14 or whatever games here? Of course he was motivated for the Saints game so he played well then but has slept through every other game.

You say he'll be good in a different offense? Why?

He has always underachieved in NO. Their offense is maybe the most WR friendly offense in the league and Meachem couldn't even ever crack 1,000 yards there once and barely got over 700 yards in one season. Not to mention that he has never had a redzone TD while with the Saints as well.

Even with injury prone Marquis Colston on their team, Meachem still didn't start as many games as one should with the Saints.

He is a bonafied bust and we would be lucky if the 'Hawks agreed to trade Flynn for him.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Boltman541 Boltman541 is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charger land
Posts: 206
Default

I don't see why we would trade for Flynn.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Weddle46 Weddle46 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Santa Monica
Posts: 1,248
Default

I think trading for Flynn is a better idea than going after Alex Smith.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 PM
netinfo's Avatar
netinfo netinfo is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: El Cajon
Posts: 294
Default

I'd stick with Rivers... Let's see what he can do under a new HC.

netinfo
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 AM
ArmyChargerFan's Avatar
ArmyChargerFan ArmyChargerFan is offline
Known as "HelpMeOut"!
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Batesville
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgecasasSD View Post
that is exactly my thinking, this is the perfect year to trade rivers because he still has value and this Qb class is horrible so some team will overpay us with draft picks in a trade for rivers
im tired of not having a mobile QB that can at least avoid some pressure
Same talk as was with Brees! Now all you guys want is Brees back. I told everyone that letting Brees go would be a mistake and I will say it again. Letting Rivers go would be a mistake!

Than again, I am sick of our fans wishing for our QB to leave. It wouldn't hurt me to see Rivers go and get a Ring some place else. I was happy when Brees did it. Now all Charger fans have is regret, but I don't! I think Brees getting a ring in NO was just a great slap in the face to all the fans that bashed the guy. Rivers will end up doing the same if we let him go, so mabe we should.
__________________
“There is a sense of urgency. I think you can only say 'We're close' and 'We're building' for so long. At some point we're built, let's go. It's time now to be one of those teams that are battling through January" Philip Rivers.


"Bird goes Tweet" Patrick the Conure.
Yes, he is my bird!

Last edited by ArmyChargerFan; 01-08-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Tybat Tybat is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Poquoson
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChargerFan View Post
Same talk as was with Brees! Now all you guys want is Brees back. I told everyone that letting Brees go would be a mistake and I will say it again. Letting Rivers go would be a mistake!

Than again, I am sick of our fans wishing for our QB to leave. It wouldn't hurt me to see Rivers go and get a Ring some place else. I was happy when Brees did it. Now all Charger fans have is regret, but I don't! I think Brees getting a ring in NO was just a great slap in the face to all the fans thatb ashed the guy. Rivers will end up doing the same if we let him go, so mabe we should.
It amazes me how easy people think it is to find a QB that is better than even PR has been this past couple of years. It is the toughest postion to play. Well, did you know that Brees threw more INTs this year than PR? Maybe NO should trade Brees as well? Also I believe it is foolish to depend on a mobile QB due to the potential for injury. Look what it did for Washington and RGIII. Russell Wilson has been lucky so far but NC State lost a bowl game because he was hurt while scrambling and couldn't finish the game. The best solution is to protect the QB and let him do his job. Down the stretch, you cannot risk losing your QB, he is too important. There has been so much emphasis on the defense and special teams the last few years and so little attention to the offense, especially the OL. PR has no longer been able to carry the offense anymore without a lot of his weapons and without a decent line.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM
Denver Mike's Avatar
Denver Mike Denver Mike is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Collins
Posts: 293
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WootMonkey View Post
The guy who can't beat out a 5'11'' rookie?
That 5'11" rookie played better and united his team better than your 6'5", 31 year old, 10.6Million dollar genie Philip Rivers..

Wilson and his offense would have stomped this team. Sorry but he would have..


-----

Back to the OP. No; trading for Matt Flynn would not be wise. Matt would look like Sanchez out there maybe even worse. Rivers is still a darn good QB. And has the potential to raise it to the elite level. But he's not there yet. As stated before his entire performance was outdone by a rookie. (Multiple rookies in fact)... Most of this is the team failing around Rivers.

McCoy will definitely aid in River's production; however his production alone will not save this team. River's needs protection, and he needs an impact receiver. (I still feel like Royal can be that for you guys if properly added to fit the system)

Even if you threw Big Ben in there this team is going to struggle. I'd keep Rivers at all costs to build around him, and build his protection. He can still bring home a championship to this team if given the weapons and protection
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 AM.


© 2014 San Diego Chargers. All Rights Reserved.