Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
It's a little upsetting considering, like I have mentioned before, that the Chargers had the entire 2011 class of linebackers to choose from.

And if they wanted a SILB, why wouldn't they have wanted to go for a Kelvin Sheppard or Mason Foster? Or hell, Akeem Dent.
That's my point.. Out of all the choices. Even Colin McCarthy would've been a better option even though he isn't your stereotypical 3-4 thumper. As far as this year, I would love either Shayne Skov at the beginning of the 3rd, Nico Johnson at the beginning of the 4th, or Andrew Jackson if he comes out in the 4th.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Hindsight is 20/20. One can argue that Mouton is more athletic than Foster, Sheppard, McCarthy and Dent. Mouton definitely had better hip transition.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Paradise is on the left.

I remember all the jokes that were made about Andre Smith of the Bengals when they drafted him. He was called a bust from almost the very beginning. Now, he's one of the best ORTs in the NFL. Often it pays to wait.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
I remember all the jokes that were made about Andre Smith of the Bengals when they drafted him. He was called a bust from almost the very beginning. Now, he's one of the best ORTs in the NFL. Often it pays to wait.
I wouldn't say often but yes, sometimes. I'll be pulling for him don't get me wrong. Rather not need to use a pick in another ILB, but it's just worrisome. I think just about everyone can agree on that point.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Hall of Famer

I'd say it's more Mouton hasn't and won't pan out. Norv had said a couple times that he isn't ready to play at this level yet. Another bad reach by AJ.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
I'd say it's more Mouton hasn't and won't pan out. Norv had said a couple times that he isn't ready to play at this level yet. Another bad reach by AJ.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2
Again, I believe the jury is still out here. This is a kid who played on a terrible defense in college and was a tackling machine. I'm sure there's been much to coach with him technique-wise, but when you're talking raw talent and athletic ability, and the instinct to find the ball, he had all of that in college on a team where he had no help. He's looked good in preseason as well. If he can look good there, why isn't he playing? I believe it has more to do with Spikes. That's just my opinion, but just based on what I've seen of him in the preseason I would have liked to seen him given an extended opportunity much earlier. You don't learn sitting on the bench...and you can't judge him fairly if all he's doing is sitting on the bench either.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Again, I believe the jury is still out here. This is a kid who played on a terrible defense in college and was a tackling machine. I'm sure there's been much to coach with him technique-wise, but when you're talking raw talent and athletic ability, and the instinct to find the ball, he had all of that in college

Means nothing. The guy was a low rated pick and AJ reached for him in the 2nd. Im just going by what Norv has said and he isnt painting a good picture of the kid. Im not expecting anything from him.
Gachkar gets even gets in the games on defense.

Quote:
He's looked good in preseason as well. If he can look good there, why isn't he playing?
Well, its preseason. Cleo Lemon looked good in PS too. As did Jesse Chatman and some others.

Quote:
I believe it has more to do with Spikes. That's just my opinion, but just based on what I've seen of him in the preseason I would have liked to seen him given an extended opportunity much earlier.
Again, Gachkar gets in on defense while Mouton does not and Norv saying he isnt ready to play at this level. Pretty strong words id say.

Quote:
You don't learn sitting on the bench...and you can't judge him fairly if all he's doing is sitting on the bench either.
If he was better than Gachkar, he would be in there. Mouton is a 2nd round pick who isnt playing while 7th round Gachkar is and the HC isnt endorsing him well in the least.

He was a typical AJ reach who most likely wont pan out.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
He was a typical AJ reach who most likely wont pan out.
You prefer to pass judgement when judgement, IMO, can't yet be passed. I prefer to wait and see. The talent is there. He may not, as you ascertain, pan out...but it would be just like the Chargers to cut him and have him become a star for someone else...oh, like the Patriots. And besides, this thread is about ILBs. To me, that's not eve a priority in this draft, but a luxury.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
You prefer to pass judgement when judgement, IMO, can't yet be passed. I prefer to wait and see. The talent is there. He may not, as you ascertain, pan out...but it would be just like the Chargers to cut him and have him become a star for someone else...oh, like the Patriots. And besides, this thread is about ILBs. To me, that's not eve a priority in this draft, but a luxury.
Thats passing judgement as much as me. My judgement just goes the other way. How do you know the talent is there? Because he was good on a bad defense in college? That doesnt mean a damn thing and has been proven over and over again in the NFL.
Im not worried about him being a star elsewhere. And ILB very well could be a need and id draft Te'o in a New York minute if he were on the board.
Spikes is 36 and may not be back, Mouton...as we are discussing is not looking like any kind of answer and even if we keep Demario Williams...he will be 33 next season and i think a FA after the season so yes, ILB could be a need.

Much more a need than CB IMO. I think Gilchrist and Wright are going to be just fine. And if they resign Cason, CB isnt a big need. This team has a bunch of needs at OT(2), OG(2), OLB and imo ILB.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Thats passing judgement as much as me. My judgement just goes the other way. How do you know the talent is there? Because he was good on a bad defense in college? That doesnt mean a damn thing and has been proven over and over again in the NFL.
Im not worried about him being a star elsewhere. And ILB very well could be a need and id draft Te'o in a New York minute if he were on the board.
Spikes is 36 and may not be back, Mouton...as we are discussing is not looking like any kind of answer and even if we keep Demario Williams...he will be 33 next season and i think a FA after the season so yes, ILB could be a need.

Much more a need than CB IMO. I think Gilchrist and Wright are going to be just fine. And if they resign Cason, CB isnt a big need. This team has a bunch of needs at OT(2), OG(2), OLB and imo ILB.
And he'd be a reach...to quote...you.

It is going to be a lot easier coming up with someone who can play an effective ILB next to Butler than it will be to get someone who can block for our QB and RBs. Those are priorities. But hey, if Teo is there we can just forget them because, according to you he's all that, right?

I think Teo is a good player, but just how good is he? He plays behind a great DL that keeps him nice and clean. Also plays for a DC there who really knows his stuff. Sounds a lot like that "can't miss" guy McClain did at Alabama a couple of years ago.

I tell you what. If all the top OTs were gone and I had my choice between Teo, and a stud pass rushing OLB...I'm most likely going with the pass rusher.