Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 07:57 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
I think/hope Troutman could be good.
I wouldn't bet on it. AJ's track record of late round lineman indicates otherwise.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I'm beginning to think that the Lewan/Fisher debate is really one that should be decided based on what we want our rookie OT to do. If we are going to try to make it work for 2013 with Gaither, then I think Lewan has to be the choice. He would be a much better fit at RT as a rookie over the (currently) underweight Fisher. And I am one who believes he will clean his technique up at the next level to the point of being a very good left tackle (in time).

However if the plan is to cut, trade, or bench Gaither (Acee has suggested that he's become a pariah in the locker room), Fisher may be the better choice as his technique is more pro-ready. I see a little more upside in Lewan, but I also recognize that Fisher has upside of his own and would probably fair better in pass protection in his first season.

Regardless of what is done with Gaither, the Bolts would be wise to go with the player that is ready now......as Gaither isn't likely to go a full season.

GO BOLTS !
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozendisc View Post
Regardless of what is done with Gaither, the Bolts would be wise to go with the player that is ready now......as Gaither isn't likely to go a full season.

GO BOLTS !
Agreed. Acee's latest tweet paints a very bad picture of just how badly Gaither has ticked off some in the locker room. If we fans want the new coach and GM to change the culture of this team, then you have to cut difficult / costly cuts. If Gaither changes his tune after meeting with the new HC and GM, then maybe they keep him around. If not, he'll be the 1st player cut in the offseason.

My guess is that Vasquez gets resigned and that the interior of our O line next season will be Vasquez, Hardwick and Troutman....though I'd love to see us bring in a vet OG like Lilja to start for a season or two.

Our OT situation is an absolute mess. Haslam will get a chance to compete next season along with Dombrowski. Harris and Wells likely wont make this roster and who knows what happens with Clary. The best solution seems to be taking an OT with our 1st rounder and overpaying a little to get an OT like Bushrod, Beatty or Vollmer in free agency. Hopefully Clary can restructure his contract and stick around as a backup.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Draft This Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMelHo View Post
I wouldn't bet on it. AJ's track record of late round lineman indicates otherwise.
Maybe, but not many never gave up a sack in college playing in the Big 10. That's pretty impressive. I think he's a better fit at RG since he's more of a mauling guy.

sean of BSX
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Shock and Awe

I've been saying for awhile now that Gaither has been lying about his "injuries". 3 or more mysterious shadow injuries don't just happen with nothing showing up on MRIs.

Disgusting. I'd be pissed too and calling him out in public. Dielman would probably beat his ass if he was still on the team.
3. DaQuan Jones - DT - Penn State
4. Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman
5. Devin Street - WR - Pittsburgh
6. Kenny Ladler - DB - Vanderbilt
7. Spencer Shuey - 34ILB - Clemson
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockTreatment View Post
I've been saying for awhile now that Gaither has been lying about his "injuries". 3 or more mysterious shadow injuries don't just happen with nothing showing up on MRIs.

Disgusting. I'd be pissed too and calling him out in public. Dielman would probably beat his ass if he was still on the team.
Gaither's mysterious injuries coupled with a track record for being lazy and a slow healer will make it impossible for any GM to trust him. Acee knows more than we do and odds are that Gaither gets cut ASAP since he's lost the respect of players and coaches. Better to be out $4.5 mil and have the respect of the team rather than holding on to a player that has lost the trust (and seemingly respect) of his teammates.

I've seen Clary and Dombrowski in street clothes on the field before games at the Q this past season. Those guys are around their teammates trying to rally guys. They're competitors and enjoy being on this team.

There are a lot of standup guys on this team. It's been a hard season and we see frustrated players manning up and talking to the media after tough losses. Gaither has simply been unavailable and has made it clear he didn't want to discuss things with the media. I was thrilled we resigned him this past offseason but Gaither has unfortunately lived down to his reputation since he got his big contract...it's too bad.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM
He's Alive, Jim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post
. I was thrilled we resigned him this past offseason but Gaither has unfortunately lived down to his reputation since he got his big contract...it's too bad.
Yeah. It looks like he clowned us. Those pictures of him standing glumly on the sidelines away from his teammates were a really sad picture of what kind of guy it seems like he is
Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Top 15 CBs: Dee Milliner, Jonathan Banks
Top 25 WRs: Keenan Allen, Justin Hunter(both could be considered reaches inside 15)
Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Draft This Man

I like Allen, don't like the fit here. Don't think Hunter is worth it either. I assume you have Williams too high or too low for "top 25"?

sean of BSX
Old 12-24-2012, 05:49 PM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Originally Posted by andocug View Post
Agreed. Acee's latest tweet paints a very bad picture of just how badly Gaither has ticked off some in the locker room. If we fans want the new coach and GM to change the culture of this team, then you have to cut difficult / costly cuts. If Gaither changes his tune after meeting with the new HC and GM, then maybe they keep him around. If not, he'll be the 1st player cut in the offseason.

My guess is that Vasquez gets resigned and that the interior of our O line next season will be Vasquez, Hardwick and Troutman....though I'd love to see us bring in a vet OG like Lilja to start for a season or two.

Our OT situation is an absolute mess. Haslam will get a chance to compete next season along with Dombrowski. Harris and Wells likely wont make this roster and who knows what happens with Clary. The best solution seems to be taking an OT with our 1st rounder and overpaying a little to get an OT like Bushrod, Beatty or Vollmer in free agency. Hopefully Clary can restructure his contract and stick around as a backup.
How many years does Clary have left? Would he be a cap casualty? Cause I don't want him starting next year.