Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Free Agents
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 PM
All-Pro

Wow. And i thought the saying whitehurst should start were the only ones. Really??? Michael Vick over Rivers??? Come on guys, be serious and logical. As we saw in Pittsburgh, with time, Rivers can shred any defense, including the steeler's #1 pass defense. And as we saw against the panthers, without time, Rivers struggles. Being a mobile qb is not essential as many people seem to think it is. Having a good o-line around a pocket passer has led to people like Brady, Peyton, and Eli winning superbowls and being the best qbs in this game. When Rivers had a good oline, he was throwing over 4500 yards with low ints and a qbr above 100. Is that Rivers still in existence? Give him a dependable oline and we will find out.

Last edited by guerro619; 12-23-2012 at 09:04 PM..
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Hall of Famer

You really like Rivers would've made that throw Eli did in the Super Bowl to David Tyree? Last week against Dallas, do you honestly believe Rivers could've hung in the pocket like given the same exact protection like Big Ben and throw that TD to Heath Miller? Let's be realistic here.

Shred the Steelers defense? That's a joke! Replay that game and watch how Alexander slow down for the lame duck to fall so he can run it in for the score. Shred seriously? 200 yards passing is your definition of shredding? I guess Rivers has been shredding defenses every week in that case. Remember, the defense played extremely well getting 3 and outs and turnovers. I give Rivers credit for somehow not turning the ball over.

When Rivers threw his first pass to Danario Alexander against Tampa and miraculously managed to stay on his feet on his RAC made Rivers look awesome.

per PFT, Lomas Brown (former Lions OL) admitted that he purposely let a defender go in and smash Scott Mitchell because he was sucking. I wouldn't be surprised if our OL are doing the same thing - because Rivers is sucking too. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaither came out and said he didn't want to play because of Rivers.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterback619 View Post
You really like Rivers would've made that throw Eli did in the Super Bowl to David Tyree? Last week against Dallas, do you honestly believe Rivers could've hung in the pocket like given the same exact protection like Big Ben and throw that TD to Heath Miller? Let's be realistic here.

Shred the Steelers defense? That's a joke! Replay that game and watch how Alexander slow down for the lame duck to fall so he can run it in for the score. Shred seriously? 200 yards passing is your definition of shredding? I guess Rivers has been shredding defenses every week in that case. Remember, the defense played extremely well getting 3 and outs and turnovers. I give Rivers credit for somehow not turning the ball over.

When Rivers threw his first pass to Danario Alexander against Tampa and miraculously managed to stay on his feet on his RAC made Rivers look awesome.

per PFT, Lomas Brown (former Lions OL) admitted that he purposely let a defender go in and smash Scott Mitchell because he was sucking. I wouldn't be surprised if our OL are doing the same thing - because Rivers is sucking too. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Gaither came out and said he didn't want to play because of Rivers.
Whatever argument you had was completely destroyed. Seriously, are you kidding me?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 AM
RIP Seau

Quote:
Let's be real. I fully support the Chargers and once believed in Rivers. To compare Rivers and Elway is absolutely absurd. John Elway can actually lead his team from behind and win games under pressure and was known to be one of the best at it. Rivers? C'mon, we can have unlimited timeouts but he will somehow find a way to throw it away and lose it on downs.

I can't wait until Alex Smith is brought in and turn this team around. No need to address a QB in the draft if we can sign Smith to compete with Rivers. Rivers should be dropped just as easy as anyone else in this league. Hell, I'l even take Michael Vick over Rivers right now. At least Vick plays with more heart and plays all out, whereas Rivers will quit on the plays. And Maybe if Rivers quits complaining after every play, his OL may try to block better for him.
You do now that Staley is a good OT and that the niners drafted Iupati and Davis so Smith would stop eating dirt right. Did you notice how Smith did not have the cajones to throw down field against the Giants in the playoff game because they actually played some real defense unlike the Saints and he didn't want to mess up and be the reason why the Niners lost?

I would even go as far as to say the Niners have the 2006 version of the Chargers with an excellent front 7 that helps the secondary play. A good O line, run game and better WRs than the 2006 Chargers.

Smith is trash. He has a weaker arm than Rivers. His best season is right now throwing 13 Tds to 5 picks? Lol game manager and I think a bulk of those stats came from 1 or 2 games. The Niners would've got destroyed if Smith played the Patriots. Just wait to see what team Smith get signed to. Guaranteed they will have a crap O line and he will be the same old classic Alex Smith. The one who never topped any of Rivers seasons. At least Rivers has shown seasons of being an elite QB and until recently, was able to play in the clutch. I do agree Rivers does suck right now, but Alex Smith is not even close to his level nor is he the answer. Especially since we have injury prone Ryan Mathews handling the rock in the running game,

Old 12-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Let's be real. I fully support the Chargers and once believed in Rivers. To compare Rivers and Elway is absolutely absurd. John Elway can actually lead his team from behind and win games under pressure and was known to be one of the best at it. Rivers? C'mon, we can have unlimited timeouts but he will somehow find a way to throw it away and lose it on downs.

I can't wait until Alex Smith is brought in and turn this team around. No need to address a QB in the draft if we can sign Smith to compete with Rivers. Rivers should be dropped just as easy as anyone else in this league. Hell, I'l even take Michael Vick over Rivers right now. At least Vick plays with more heart and plays all out, whereas Rivers will quit on the plays. And Maybe if Rivers quits complaining after every play, his OL may try to block better for him.
You might be the only person on the planet that says Vick plays with more heart than Rivers. Literally the only person.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Hall of Famer

Finally a decent game for Rivers. He still under threw Danario again up the middle of the field on the deep bomb after toasting two defenders.

The TD pass to Danario was a lucky one as Cromartie was somehow out of position on the long throw allowing Alexander to catch the ball as it wasn't defended at all.

The TD pass to Gates was a solid one that he's supposed to make after smoking his defender in a juke move. Gates had to actually reach back as it was slightly thrown behind him. Remember, this Jets team already quit. They are booking their tickets for vacation and look forward to going home after next week. Their OL obviously quit and it was our rare chance to take advantage of a quitting team to somewhat salvage our season and make our fans "happy". Now we have the potential to end the season 1 game under .500.

I'm still not sold on Rivers. He needs a new strength and conditioning coach or lift some more weights. His arm strength is not where it needs to be late in the season if our goal is to win the Super Bowl. He must make those deep throws down the field with spirals and not lame ducks. I saw a few but I'll let it slide. If it seems to work better, he should stick to wearing the gloves for better grip.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Finally a decent game for Rivers. He still under threw Danario again up the middle of the field on the deep bomb after toasting two defenders.

The TD pass to Danario was a lucky one as Cromartie was somehow out of position on the long throw allowing Alexander to catch the ball as it wasn't defended at all.

The TD pass to Gates was a solid one that he's supposed to make after smoking his defender in a juke move. Gates had to actually reach back as it was slightly thrown behind him. Remember, this Jets team already quit. They are booking their tickets for vacation and look forward to going home after next week. Their OL obviously quit and it was our rare chance to take advantage of a quitting team to somewhat salvage our season and make our fans "happy". Now we have the potential to end the season 1 game under .500.

I'm still not sold on Rivers. He needs a new strength and conditioning coach or lift some more weights. His arm strength is not where it needs to be late in the season if our goal is to win the Super Bowl. He must make those deep throws down the field with spirals and not lame ducks. I saw a few but I'll let it slide. If it seems to work better, he should stick to wearing the gloves for better grip.
A lot of TD passes in this league are lucky. And really, you can't criticize the Gates throw, that throw was fine. Now how about we give the man some time instead of going for Vick?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrone Means View Post
Whatever argument you had was completely destroyed. Seriously, are you kidding me?
He didn't have an arguement to begin with. Three posts in a row of nothing but ridiculousness. lets just give Rivers an oline...then we'll know.

1. Jason Verrett CB
2. Marcus Smith OLB
3. Martavis Bryant WR
4. Gabe Jackson G
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Inez Sainz = Jet Bait!

looky looky...a whole bunch of former star QB's aren't going to the show this year...Rivers, Rothlesburger, Eli, Brees....hmmmm. Maybe it's not just the QB????
Old 12-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Looky looky..what? Former stars that ALL have WON A SUPER BOWL? If anything, that is the ONE and ONLY goal ANY professional football player ever dreamed about achieving. You can bet Eli, Big Ben and Brees are satisfied winning at least one Super Bowl. Look at LT when he left us, he went to the best team at that time that had the best chance to win it all. He chased for a Championship and refused to retire because he wanted another chance.

Rivers had an OL before when LT was here. He had his chances guys. Wake up! He had an all-pro, top 10 all-time, future HOF in LT but he couldn't do anything. We once had what? V-JAX, LT, Gates (prime), Sproles, Turner, McNeill (healthy), Dielman, Lo-Neal and still couldn't make it to the big show. Again, Rivers looked awesome when he threw those jump balls to V-JAX and even then, he short armed many of those passes.

Don't get me wrong, guys. I like Rivers and support him, but he's done! I just don't think he should automatically have the starting job without some legitimate competition next season...bring in Alex Smith!