Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Español Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Around the NFL
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 07:16 PM

Default Former Lions OL deliberately let his QB get injured

Quote:
Lions lineman Lomas Brown confesses he once let quarterback Scott Mitchell get injured

We've all had those co-workers we can't stand, but most folks' problems with co-workers generally stop with them stealing lunches from the company fridge or snitching on office supply kleptomania. Former Detroit Lions quarterback Scott Mitchell has more cause than most to complain about his co-workers, because one of them actually wanted him to get knocked out of the game...and, apparently, succeeded.

Lomas Brown, a former Lions lineman, was tasked with protecting quarterback Scott Mitchell. But the seven-time Pro Bowler confessed recently to Scott Van Pelt and Ryen Russillo that when it came to Mitchell, well, he might not have put forth his best effort on every snap. In fact, he'd send a message to his own quarterback in a way only an offensive lineman could:

"Know how I did it? Just let the [defensive] guy hit him," Brown said. "Just let the D-lineman get a shot on him. I'd make it look good. I had some actor in me."

Brown gave some more vivid, if not completely accurate, details as regards Mitchell: "We were playing Green Bay in Milwaukee. We were getting beat, 24-3, at that time and he just stunk up the place. He's throwing interceptions, just everything. So I looked at Kevin Glover, our All-Pro center and I said, 'Glove, that is it.' I said, 'I'm getting him out the game.' ... So I got the gator arms on the guy at the last minute, he got around me, he hit Scott Mitchell, he did something to his finger ... and he came out the game. Dave Krieg came in the game. We ended up losing that game, 27-24."

USA Today notes that the game, Nov. 6, 1994, actually had a slightly different score: Detroit was down 24-0 when Green Bay's Sean Jones broke Mitchell's hand on a hit. Mitchell had completed just five of 15 passes and thrown two interceptions. Krieg came in, threw three touchdowns, but the Lions lost 38-30. Krieg would lead the Lions to the playoffs, where they'd fall to the Packers in the wild-card round.

Now, lest there be any miscommunication here, Brown reiterated that he said what he meant, and meant what he said: “"I've been out of the game since '02. I don't think much can happen to me. Yes, America, yes, I did it."
Quarterbacks, a memo: do NOT make your offensive linemen unhappy. They can wreck your life in a way nobody else can.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...3091--nfl.html
That's pretty low imo. And karma made the Lions still lose the game but I guess Krieg ended up taking them to the playoffs anyway.

Last edited by G0ChargersG0; 12-24-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0ChargersG0 View Post
That's pretty low imo. And karma made the Lions still lose the game but I guess Krieg ended up taking them to the playoffs anyway.
That's an amazing statement, especially coming from a 7 time pro bowler.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM

In before people start saying that Rivers playing bad is the reason our OL isn't blocking and that our OL is purposely trying to get Rivers hurt so that Whitehurst can get playing time.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:28 AM
Hall of Famer

I'm not condoning what Lomas Brown says that he did, but I do recall Scott Mitchell being a horrible QB.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM
#Rivers4MVP

Amazing how dysfunctional that (Lions) team was... Sounds alot like another team I know.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:58 AM
1976 Grey Cup Winners

What a jerk.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM
UnModerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruX View Post
I'm not condoning what Lomas Brown says that he did, but I do recall Scott Mitchell being a horrible QB.
I remember our own OL letting Raiders through the line to sack Leaf at the Coliseum. It looked pretty obvious. Leaf was sacked 3 times with no TDs and had a 13.0 passer rating.

Last edited by Boltbaby; 12-26-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 01:57 PM
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltbaby View Post
I remember our own OL letting Raiders through the line to sack Leaf at the Coliseum. It looked pretty obvious. Leaf was sacked 3 times with no TDs and had a 13.0 passer rating.
Yep, and they later admitted that they let people through to sack him.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM
UnModerated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutbolAmericano View Post
Yep, and they later admitted that they let people through to sack him.
Did they? I must have missed that. I wonder if there is a link somewhere about that. He wasn't popular in that locker room, that's for sure.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I was watching the show when Lomas said this. My jaw practically hit the floor. He's seems like such a good-natured guy, but he obviously still holds some sort of grudge against Mitchell because he wasn't at all apologetic when Ryen said he couldn't believe Lomas said that on national TV. I got the impression there was more to it than just Mitchell stinking up the joint.

RIP Junior