Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Still beats whatever the hell site that anyone uses...
Not to mention there's only one person I know of thus far hoping we draft Teo in the 1st. Come On Man! I really don't even see him as having a chance of being BPA when we select prior to seeing who we cut and who we sign in FA when you consider that OT, OG, OLB, WR, CB, and with Taylor's ACL, arguably S are all higher needs than ILB right now. There will almost certainly be a higher rated player on our board than Teo at a position of greater need. Not that we couldn't use another young ILB, but we could also wait until sometime in day 3 to address that, if at all in the draft due to our other needs.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorajim View Post
Definitely. Norv is not the HC/OC/DC. He has had more on his plate than he can handle without running the defense.
And of course there's the fact that Pagano's defense is doing far better than Norv's offense. You figure Norv wants to bring them down to his level?
What I think is that this team has placed seniority/leadership players over other players with more talent/productivity/and upside for far too long. We stick with vets after their play dropped off for too long.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
So uhhhhh, how bout them inside linebackers eh guys?
Shayne Skov in the 2nd that is all.

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
Shayne Skov in the 2nd that is all.
He had better be able to show that he is 100% back from his knee injury at the senior bowl/combine if we're going to spend a 2nd on him.

^Thanks 23Skidoo for the sweet sig!^
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
He had better be able to show that he is 100% back from his knee injury at the senior bowl/combine if we're going to spend a 2nd on him.
He looked really good in the Oregon game so I think at the senior bowl he will be 100%.

1. Jason Verrett - CB
2. Jeremiah Attaocho - OLB
3. Allen Robinson - WR
4. Dakota Dozier - OG
5. Zach Kerr - NT
6. Corey Linsley - C
7. Aaron Colvin - CB
Old 12-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolting Xero View Post
He looked really good in the Oregon game so I think at the senior bowl he will be 100%.
at 100percent, along with Butler, might have the second best ILB duo after the 49ers if we pulled that one off.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
Not to mention there's only one person I know of thus far hoping we draft Teo in the 1st. Come On Man! I really don't even see him as having a chance of being BPA when we select prior to seeing who we cut and who we sign in FA when you consider that OT, OG, OLB, WR, CB, and with Taylor's ACL, arguably S are all higher needs than ILB right now. There will almost certainly be a higher rated player on our board than Teo at a position of greater need. Not that we couldn't use another young ILB, but we could also wait until sometime in day 3 to address that, if at all in the draft due to our other needs.
Just where do you think we will be picking? When we beat Oakland, our draft possition may be as high as #13 now. We wont be getting the top 1 or 2 OT's and perhaps not the top couple of DE/OLB pass rushers....and if AJ is here it wont mater because he isnt picking OT's anyways and he surely wont be picking a OG that high. So with that, if Te'o is there after those to OT's, yeah id pick him and at #12-13, could be great value, unless he totally tanks at the combine for some reason.
Im not hoping we key on him, im just saying where we will be picking now, id be ok if they picked him, but would i prefer a stud OT? Hell yes! Ive been prefering that for many years. Just too bad AJ didnt pick Justin Houston instead of Mouton.

ILB is for sure a need. Spikes may be gone and will be 36...37?...and playing way more than he should be anyways according to the team. Williams is a FA, Gachkar isnt a starter and Mouton hadnt played in a game yet. And there is Bird. Is he a starter? Do you cut guys that could be starters the next year? I really dont know how he fits in but seems our players like him. Your telling me a WR, CB or a Safety is a bigger need?
If they resign Cason, CB is down on the list (though it is on the list) and so should WR without doing a thing. We play a 3-4. We have a good DL and the next important thing is LB's. ILB and OLB.

Of course the biggest need is OL.
Til we see if they do anything in FA'cy....OL and LB's should be top priorities in the draft with big emphasis on OL.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-26-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
Still beats whatever the hell site that anyone uses...
LOL, well i thought that link you posted was a borderline joke. Looks like a site trying not to look bad and then going back, watching some tape and then saying....well yeah, by god he does look better than what we thought. I can see it. Not as big a reach as we said.

Here is some reality. The latest today from the guy that does the UT/Chargers mailbag(forget his name):

Q:
Is it official to say that Mouton, given the incredible circumstance of there being 2 useless games left and everyone injured and having almost 2 yrs under his belt and not even being CONSIDERED playing in a game, is YET another, AJ Smith high draft pic Mega-Bust???

A:
I won't throw around the "bust" label for a player currently in his first true NFL year. But it does speaks volumes to where the coaching staff feels Mouton is at that he's seen only a handful of defensive snaps all season and was inactive against the Jets. The 2011 second-round pick has struggled.

Look, i hope the kid pans out. He was a second round pick and i hate to see us miss on those but im jut not very optomistic.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-26-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Old 12-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Just where do you think we will be picking? When we beat Oakland, our draft possition may be as high as #13 now. We wont be getting the top 1 or 2 OT's and perhaps not the top couple of DE/OLB pass rushers....and if AJ is here it wont mater because he isnt picking OT's anyways and he surely wont be picking a OG that high. So with that, if Te'o is there after those to OT's, yeah id pick him and at #12-13, could be great value, unless he totally tanks at the combine for some reason.
Im not hoping we key on him, im just saying where we will be picking now, id be ok if they picked him, but would i prefer a stud OT? Hell yes! Ive been prefering that for many years. Just too bad AJ didnt pick Justin Houston instead of Mouton.

ILB is for sure a need. Spikes may be gone and will be 36...37?...and playing way more than he should be anyways according to the team. Williams is a FA, Gachkar isnt a starter and Mouton hadnt played in a game yet. And there is Bird. Is he a starter? Do you cut guys that could be starters the next year? I really dont know how he fits in but seems our players like him. Your telling me a WR, CB or a Safety is a bigger need?
If they resign Cason, CB is down on the list (though it is on the list) and so should WR without doing a thing. We play a 3-4. We have a good DL and the next important thing is LB's. ILB and OLB.

Of course the biggest need is OL.
Til we see if they do anything in FA'cy....OL and LB's should be top priorities in the draft with big emphasis on OL.
If all goes wrong and Joeckel, Star, Werner, Fisher, Lewan, Jones, Moore, Mingo, and Milliner are gone, THEN I would be ok with drafting Teo, and I am admittedly higher on him than some others in this board. But even then I'd prefer to trade down. My only beef with Teo is that he hasn't really been asked to take and shed blocks. That's not his fault, but when it comes to a pick this high, I'd like to have next to zero question marks surrounding the prospect.

As for the Mouton arguement, we throw around the term "reach" based on the opinions of people who ultimately have no say on the matter. The only rankings that matter are those of the NFL teams making the picks, and judging from where he was selected, at least one team had a late second round grade on him. That is worth something. Ultimately, however, we won't know how other teams viewed him, so it is fair to call him a "reach" based on the rankings that we have access to, even if it is an empty term.

After watching as much film as I could find on him, I felt a lot better about the pick and figured he may have been worth the pick, but ultimately he hasn't shown much as a pro to justify his selection. That happens. There have been players that have shown a lot more in college that have been selected much higher in the draft that have produced about as much as him. The truth is you don't know what you have until you have it. Btw, I wanted Kelvin that year. Oh well.

1. Jason Verrett CB
2. Marcus Smith OLB
3. Martavis Bryant WR
4. Gabe Jackson G
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargermouse View Post
If all goes wrong and Joeckel, Star, Werner, Fisher, Lewan, Jones, Moore, Mingo, and Milliner are gone, THEN I would be ok with drafting Teo, and I am admittedly higher on him than some others in this board. But even then I'd prefer to trade down. My only beef with Teo is that he hasn't really been asked to take and shed blocks. That's not his fault, but when it comes to a pick this high, I'd like to have next to zero question marks surrounding the prospect.
This sounds a lot like what some said about Derek Johnson, Another LB i liked a lot for us and he is one of the better ones at ILB right now having a very good season on a crap team.

Quote:
As for the Mouton arguement, we throw around the term "reach" based on the opinions of people who ultimately have no say on the matter. The only rankings that matter are those of the NFL teams making the picks, and judging from where he was selected, at least one team had a late second round grade on him. That is worth something. Ultimately, however, we won't know how other teams viewed him, so it is fair to call him a "reach" based on the rankings that we have access to, even if it is an empty term.
No it isnt because that one team was us. I doubt ANY other team had him as a 2nd round talent and id like to know who it is if you insist there were because i dont believe it. Sounds more like our fans trying to justify AJ's pick or feel better about it. No GM hits on every pick but damn! I just think AJ gets dupped a lot by other teams.
Someone(i think it was SDFB61) brought up Scouts Inc like it is some good draft site. I havent taken a liking to it but i do like NFLDraftscout and they had him a 5-6 rounder to name a site of equivelant or better. Better imo anyways.

Quote:
After watching as much film as I could find on him, I felt a lot better about the pick and figured he may have been worth the pick, but ultimately he hasn't shown much as a pro to justify his selection. That happens. There have been players that have shown a lot more in college that have been selected much higher in the draft that have produced about as much as him. The truth is you don't know what you have until you have it. Btw, I wanted Kelvin that year. Oh well.
I never claim to know it all about players and i dont but there were better players on that board LB or otherwise. But i do agree with the bolded part above.

I hope im wrong and would love to eat crow but imo if he dont show better next preseason, i think he gets cut.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-27-2012 at 07:43 PM..