Chargers Header
Forum Home News Media Vault Schedule Team Charger Girls Tickets Fan Zone Community En Espaņol Fantasy Football Pro Shop

Go Back   The Official San Diego Chargers Forum > Chargers Talk > Draft Talk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

I've watched a little more of Fisher lately and I have to agree that he has the cleaner technique compared to Lewan. He looks like he might fare a little better on the left side as a rookie, but Lewan might benefit more from some NFL coaching. One thing I often forget to mention is that Lewan has only been playing on the offensive line for a few years. He's relatively new to the position and has improved his technique significantly each year.

I still prefer Lewan, especially for our purposes. He's a superior run-blocker and seems to carry more functional weight than Fisher. Reports are that Fisher has dipped below 300 lbs each season at Central Michigan, while Lewan has stayed steadily around 310. If we are looking for someone to play right tackle as a rookie and take over the left side in a season or so, I think Lewan is the better fit. He looks to me like he would be able to hold his own in the running game as a rookie, while I could see getting mauled.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post
I've watched a little more of Fisher lately and I have to agree that he has the cleaner technique compared to Lewan. He looks like he might fare a little better on the left side as a rookie, but Lewan might benefit more from some NFL coaching. One thing I often forget to mention is that Lewan has only been playing on the offensive line for a few years. He's relatively new to the position and has improved his technique significantly each year.

I still prefer Lewan, especially for our purposes. He's a superior run-blocker and seems to carry more functional weight than Fisher. Reports are that Fisher has dipped below 300 lbs each season at Central Michigan, while Lewan has stayed steadily around 310. If we are looking for someone to play right tackle as a rookie and take over the left side in a season or so, I think Lewan is the better fit. He looks to me like he would be able to hold his own in the running game as a rookie, while I could see getting mauled.

I think all rookies might be prone to getting mauled every once in a while. I too would rather have lewan, but if a team offered us a good deal, I wouldn't mind trading down and picking up Fischer. *Rams I'm looking at you*

1. Jason Verrett CB
2. Marcus Smith OLB
3. Martavis Bryant WR
4. Gabe Jackson G
Old 12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemp17 View Post

I'm starting to agree with this. Fisher would be WAY better if we were looking for a LT right away, but we're not. Gaither already has that spot for at least another year. We're looking for a RT who can slide over to LT at this point. Lewan definitely has more power, and can start right away at RT, his feet are pretty quick for such a big guy. At this point, he's starting to be my pick for OT if we go with it in the 1st.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Paradise is on the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDfootball61 View Post
I'm starting to agree with this. Fisher would be WAY better if we were looking for a LT right away, but we're not. Gaither already has that spot for at least another year. We're looking for a RT who can slide over to LT at this point. Lewan definitely has more power, and can start right away at RT, his feet are pretty quick for such a big guy. At this point, he's starting to be my pick for OT if we go with it in the 1st.
That's my view as well. In a perfect world...well, my perfect world, either Gaither would get his stuff together or we'd somehow have a great OLT prospect fall into our laps next year, or perhaps in a lower round this year and Lewan would be able to stay at ORT. I think with his nasty streak and run blocking ability and playing next to Vasquez could potentially give us a dominant right side. I honestly don't know though if Rivers could actually handle having two bookends that could keep his pocket clean. When was the last time he could count on a clean pocket every game?
Old 12-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flwelshman View Post
That's my view as well. In a perfect world...well, my perfect world, either Gaither would get his stuff together or we'd somehow have a great OLT prospect fall into our laps next year, or perhaps in a lower round this year and Lewan would be able to stay at ORT. I think with his nasty streak and run blocking ability and playing next to Vasquez could potentially give us a dominant right side. I honestly don't know though if Rivers could actually handle having two bookends that could keep his pocket clean. When was the last time he could count on a clean pocket every game?
Sometime around 07 or so. haha
Old 12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

A couple of Central Michigan games and a pretty good scouting report (http://nflsfuture.com/2012/11/07/eri...er-film-study/) later and I have to sheepishly admit that Eric Fisher is the superior prospect to Lewan. I really thought I was right on that one. Good call guys.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Now the big question is do you think the new staff will go with a new left tackle or draft a RT in the first and hope Gaither isnt the joke that he is
Old 12-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargersfan85 View Post
Now the big question is do you think the new staff will go with a new left tackle or draft a RT in the first and hope Gaither isnt the joke that he is
It isn't really a debate.

You can find serviceable RT's in free agency, you can't with LT's.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Hall of Famer

Between Fisher and Lewan, Fisher would be the best LT right away but Lewan has slightly potential. At RT Lewan would be better right away and still has more potential.

To me it really comes down to which coach we select. Lewan is going to be the better run blocker and he's the better overall physical speciman. Fisher is one of the most technically sound blockers I've seen in this draft class and his feet are superb. Fisher's strength is nfl level and while it doesn't rival Lewan's, it's certainly enough to play at the next level. In the end the system will determine which player is better suited to be a Charger.

Personally, when the prospects are as close as I think they are, I would pick the superior physical speciman and trust my coaches to develop them. I'd take Lewan over Fisher.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Daniel Lee Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrip View Post
Between Fisher and Lewan, Fisher would be the best LT right away but Lewan has slightly potential. At RT Lewan would be better right away and still has more potential.

To me it really comes down to which coach we select. Lewan is going to be the better run blocker and he's the better overall physical speciman. Fisher is one of the most technically sound blockers I've seen in this draft class and his feet are superb. Fisher's strength is nfl level and while it doesn't rival Lewan's, it's certainly enough to play at the next level. In the end the system will determine which player is better suited to be a Charger.

Personally, when the prospects are as close as I think they are, I would pick the superior physical speciman and trust my coaches to develop them. I'd take Lewan over Fisher.
It wasn't until I recently watched more of Fisher that I realized I had overestimated Lewan's edge in terms of functional strength.